Things to Know About Travel Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 5088 -
Updated date : 21 June 2019
Travelling has become an integral part of our lives. Whether it is for business, studies or pleasure people have become more mobile than ever before. Of course, an increase in the rate of travel and the number of travellers has also led to an increase in the occurrence of multiple travel related risks. This could range from luggage that has been misplaced by airlines, to costs incurred due to transit delays, to falling sick on foreign shores. It is important, therefore, to take measures and insulate oneself against unforeseen circumstances so the rest of the travel experience goes smoothly and without much inconvenience.
What Does Travel Insurance Cover?
Broadly speaking travel insurance covers policyholders for some common scenarios. These are:
Luggage Protection Coverage
This is one of the most common inconveniences that travellers run into. If it is a daunting prospect to lose one’s luggage while travelling to domestic destinations, imagine the inconvenience and costs incurred if the same incident occurs in a different country. This is why luggage protection coverage is crucial for all travellers.
Insurers provide travel insurance to cover incidences of loss or theft. In addition, some even provide travel assistance in the form of legal advice, facilitating emergency cash transfers, or even providing legal advice.
Medical Cost Coverage
No one wants to fall sick on vacation, but the truth is travellers need to insure themselves against unanticipated medical emergencies should the need arise. What’s more, if the person travelling is a student then they certainly need to be insured against medical exigencies like trips to the emergency room, dentist and so on. Some insurers also provide coverage to protect against high-cost situations, where, for instance, a person might need to be medevaced from one location to another.
It might so happen that a trip needs to be cancelled at the last minute. In those circumstances, the traveller has usually left to foot the bill for hotel and flight cancellation charges and so on. Trip insurance would also insulate travellers against costs incurred due to transit delays and so on.
Common Types of Travel Insurance
The most common types of Travel Insurance are:
This type of travel insurance is meant for people within the ages of 18 to 65 who are travelling within the country. The policy will provide protection against loss of tickets, travel documents, flight delays and so on. It also covers emergency medical costs.
For persons travelling outside the country, international travel insurance will provide coverage against baggage loss, travel delays, loss of important travel documents, cost of repatriation if necessary and much more. It also assists policyholders during extreme circumstances like hijackings and high-risk medical emergencies. These would cover basic scenarios like medical and dental costs in addition to accidental injury expenses, baggage loss expenses and a lot more.
The number of students travelling abroad has increased exponentially in recent years. Since they travel out of the country for extended periods of time, it makes them a demographic most vulnerable to various emergencies
Corporate Travel Insurance
Corporate or business travel insurance is for those who send their employees on domestic or international business trips. It provides similar coverage as domestic and international insurance and insures employers against those risks
Important Travel Insurance Inclusions at a Glance:
The travel insurance inclusions are as follows:
- Travel medical insurance covers for in/outpatient hospitalization along with daily allowance.
- Personal accidents cover in case of permanent disability/death.
- Coverage for contingencies related to personal possession.
- Coverage for loss of baggage and passport.
- Coverage for expenses related to trip delays.
Important Exclusions of travel insurance:
The key exclusions of travel insurance are:
- Flights/trains missed due to local protests/civil war.
- Expenses incurred due to local protests/civil unrest.
- Pre-existing conditions leading to hospitalization.
- Baggage delay that is less than 24 hours.
- Damage/loss of keys
- Most Read
- All You Need to Know About Corporate Travel Insurance
Date: 16 October 2019
- World Tourism Day: Tips to Travel Safely to the Golden Triangle in India
Date: 25 September 2019
- Why Should You Buy Travel Insurance for Your Family?
Date: 20 September 2019
- World Tourism Day 2019: Travellers Guidebook!
Date: 17 September 2019
- India to Host World Tourism Day 2019
Date: 16 September 2019
- 5 Best Travel Insurance Policies for 2019, Risk-Proof Your Next International Trip
Views : 41328
- Top 10 Travel Insurance Companies in India
Views : 13025
- Benefits of Buying a Travel Insurance Plan for Your Next Holiday
Views : 11566
- Travel Insurance or International Health Insurance: Which is the Best Option for You?
Views : 8654
- How to Avoid Travel-Related Scams on Your Next Trip?
Views : 8329
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator