4 Tips to Avoid Travel Insurance Claim Rejection
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 510 -
Updated date : 18 March 2019
Having the right travel cover is one thing and knowing how to utilise the best out of that cover is another. Sometimes holidays don’t go as the way it was planned. Never mind, you’re clever enough to have the trip covered with travel insurance!
In this regard, when anything goes wrong, you need to be prompt enough too while filing a claim. These travel insurance policy tips will help you ensure a smooth and fast travel insurance claim.
Tip 1: Taking Too Much to File a Claim
Your March flight from India to the USA is grounded due to some technical issues, forcing you to spend a night in Mumbai. As every nook and corner is serving mouth-watering street food; it takes very less for you to decide where are you going next. You take Bademiya, Colaba to have a bite of the delicious Chicken Tikka Roll and have booked a nearby hotel to spend the night. That time the delay benefit offered by your travel insurance policy was in your mind and you were delighted thinking that the insurer will cover you for the expenses incurred. But, unfortunately, you don’t get around to filing claim until May-and then on an obvious ground the claim is rejected.
Don’t procrastinate when it comes to claiming travel insurance. Your insurer offers a strict window of claiming the policy, which needs to be followed to ensure a fast claim process. With the internet, booming at a fast pace, claiming travel insurance is just a matter of a few clicks now. All you need to do is just visit the official website of your insurance provider, go to the claim online option, choose the type of policy, mention the policy number and other relevant details and register a claim. If not you should immediately call on the toll-free number of customer care to register a claim. The claim executive will guide you through to the entire process. This way you can initiate your travel insurance claim smoothly.
Tip 2: Don’t Exaggerate
You’re having a bad experience during your vacation is New York. The weather is cool and snowfall has made it impossible to step out. Even you got severely ill and when checking with the local doctor, he says it is just indigestion. However, ignoring the diagnosis there, you head back home early and cancel your further trip. When you make a claim for the same under trio interruption clause, the insurer has denied the travel insurance claim.
It is easy to exaggerate the details of an illness, injury, theft or loss, just to get some money from your insurance company. Well, don’t practice that; you can’t fool them. This may lead to a serious condition if you fake the incident. in such a case you will have to present the doctor’s report from where the insurer will figure out that the issue is a minor one and is not eligible for coverage. So, don’t go overboard!
Tip 3: Claiming Without Knowing the Policy Limit
You have been all at sea since ever your claim for the baggage loss containing some expensive clothes and diamond jewellery got rejected. But are you aware that every travel policy comes with a limit for each benefit? If you claim beyond the limit, it will be rejected by default. Or you will be reimbursed partially.
So, when packing for a trip, it is better you keep the precious items at home. Consider keeping the jewellery or expensive earnings in your carry-on bag or wear it. Don’t forget to document your bag contents with images and receipts.
Tip 4: Failing to Provide Proper Documentation
Let’s imagine- While heading to the airport, your hired car crashes with another. The car is totalled when you end up being hospitalised with multiple stretches. Getting into an accident on the way to the airport can be covered by travel insurance under the clause trip cancellation if you require medical attention. When you claim your policy, you submit the flight details, medical bills and the images of the damaged car. However, the claim gets rejected. The reason is insufficient documents.
It is imperative to submit all the necessary documents supporting a claim. The list of documents for respective claims is mentioned in the policy documents. Refer the list before claiming travel insurance.
Additional Travel Insurance Tips
Whether you own international or domestic travel insurance or buy student travel insurance for your child going abroad, by considering the below parameters while claiming insurance, you can ensure a fast claim settlement:
- Immediately inform the insurer about the incident and register a claim by calling on their helpline number.
- Share the complete details while filing a claim and fill the claim form proper. More you express the incident in detail, greater are the chances of your claim settled fast
- Collect all the relevant documents and bills of the purchase you made while abroad or during your trip, attach them while filing a claim
- If it is reimbursement claim, seek discounts on medical consultation or hospitalisation. You should immediately inform the insurer, in case of emergency hospitalisation
- Inform the insurer when you receive any emails from the concerned hospital authority regarding payment. You may get it from the recovery agencies abroad as well.
- In case of emergency repatriation of mortal remains or evacuation of medical ground, inform the insurer immediately without a fail to ensure timely assistance in your hour of need.
- Provide the insurer with an alternative point of contact in case when you’re unable to reach.
- Refrain from direct negotiation with the service providers
In a Nutshell!
Travel insurance can cost you an extra but potentially save you thousands when something goes wrong. However, it's your duty to put in the time and effort to make your case apparent to the insurance provider. Understanding the policy wording, collecting the adequate paperwork up front, and ensuring you have complete knowledge of the policy can help you get the most benefits from travel your policy.
- Most Read
- Everything You Need to Know About Travel Insurance Benefits offered by Credit Cards
Date: 09 September 2019
- 12 Exclusions of Travel Insurance You Should Know
Date: 23 August 2019
- Here’s why you Need to Buy Travel Insurance for your Honeymoon?
Date: 23 July 2019
- A Handy Guide to Buy the Best Travel Insurance
Date: 16 July 2019
- Travel Vaccinations & Advice for USA
Date: 22 May 2019
- 5 Best Travel Insurance Policies for 2019, Risk-Proof Your Next International Trip
Views : 38030
- Top 10 Travel Insurance Companies in India
Views : 12425
- Benefits of Buying a Travel Insurance Plan for Your Next Holiday
Views : 9744
- Travel Insurance or International Health Insurance: Which is the Best Option for You?
Views : 8484
- How to Avoid Travel-Related Scams on Your Next Trip?
Views : 8211
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator