Situations under Which Your Travel Insurance Won’t Work
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 2227 -
Updated date : 03 February 2021
There are certain situations under which your insurer can deny claims. If you know what travel insurance covers it won’t come as a surprise to you! Most of the uncertainties are covered by a travel insurance policy but it has some limitations to it. While searching for the best travel insurance policy people usually go through the policy coverage and the cost the premium and forgot to check the policy limitations.
Most of the travellers don’t know that a travel insurance claim can be approved partially or partially refunded. At times the insurer will pay a portion of the travel insurance claims but will have to reject some of the overheads.
Here are some of the Circumstances under which your Domestic, International and Student Travel Insurance Policy Claims can be denied:
1. Claims Filing for Baggage Delays More Than 24 Hours
Missing luggage and delayed luggage are some of the major reasons why people buy a travel insurance policy. Otherwise, it can be troublesome to procure delayed checked-in baggage. To claim the compensation it is required to lodge a claim within 24 hours of the incidence.
It also depends on the type of insurance policy and the insurance company but in most of the cases, the insurer will not reimburse the amount unless the baggage has been missing for more than 24 hours.
If you don’t get any assistance from the airlines within 24 hours, then only the insurer will compensate for the loss.
2. Filing Claim for Specific Medical Conditions/ Discrepancy in Medical Health Questionnaire
If you would file a claim for high blood pressure, AIDS, diabetes and other specific medical conditions then you would not get compensation under your travel insurance policy. It is often mistaken that the basic travel insurance policy will cover medical emergency during the trip. It is certainly not true. You can easily buy travel insurance online and pay a bit extra to get coverage for such restricted health conditions.
Also, you would need to disclose all the pre-existing illness before signing the travel insurance policy to avoid any cancellations in the future. Moreover, any claim filed for ongoing medical conditions, a terminal diagnosis and pre-existing complications will be rejected.
3. Missing Original and Detailed Receipts
Any claim filed for a medical emergency without submitting original pharmacy receipts will not be accepted. A credit card statement will also not work. It can also be one of the reasons for your claim to be denied, but it can be easily fixed.
4. Claim Filed For Any Deliberate Attempts
Any loss or damage instigated by the policyholder will not be accepted by the insurer. If you found to be involved or tried to get involved in an actual riot, misdemeanour, criminal act, it would not be accepted by the insurer.
For instance, if you found to be instigating a fight and are deliberately getting into a fight or harming yourself while travelling, then it can be one of the reasons that your claim got rejected.
5. Losing Your Belongings Because of Your Own Recklessness
If your items and belonging were left unattended then also your insurer will invalidate your claim request. It is usually not accepted by most of the travel insurance companies in India.
6. Claims Filed for Adventures Sports That Are Not Covered in Your Policy
Percentage of the applicants remain unaware that a travel insurance policy does not accept claims arising due to the adventure sports or activities. Please, note that there are separate plans that offer such coverage or you can get this as an add-on cover by paying an extra amount of premium. It is simply to search for travel insurance online that covers adventure sports and activities.
7. A Trip That Has Been Cancelled By the Tour Operator
If you are wondering why your trip cancellation claimed got rejected by the insurer, then you should know that travel insurance plans do not compensate for trips cancelled by tour operators. In this case, you will have to ask for a refund from the travel agent.
8. Claims Filed for Mental illnesses
Usually, travel insurance policies do not cover claims arising due to mental illnesses. It is advisable that you should travel with a trusted companion to handle any emergency situation. Your travel insurance claim will be rejected for suicidal attempts and self-inflicted injuries. If you are wondering why your claim got rejected then probably this was the reason.
9. Losses or Damage Arising Due to Intoxication
If the incident resulted due to intoxication or under the influence of drugs or alcohol then no insurance provider will accept your travel claim.
10. Any Claim Arising Due to Nuclear Radiations and Radioactivity
Why travel to a place that is susceptible to radioactive contagion and nuclear radiation. If you will file a claim for any inconvenience that was caused due to any such reasons then your claim will straightaway stand invalidated? It is better to avoid travelling to such places.
11. Terrorist Activities or Hostilities by Military
Travel insurance providers around the world refrain from covering any such damages. It is applicable to both international & domestic travel insurance policies. If you experienced any issue due to civil war, terrorism, revolt, incursion, rebellion, warfare, an act of a foreign enemy, mutiny, or use of military weapons. It should not be a problem as most travellers avoid visiting such tension areas and are already covered by a travel insurance policy for other major risks.
Overview of the Limitations That You Must Remember
- Pre-existing illness or medical complications for which the insured has sought medical advice before the travel, would not be considered under Student travel insurance plans
- If the insured person’s passport is confiscated or detained by the police or customs authorities in lieu of any susceptible behaviour of the proposer
- If you do not register an official complaint against your passport or baggage loss, then travel insurer is not liable to pay it off
- Irrational loss of passport resulting due to the reckless behaviour of the insured person, which could be avoided and only happened due to his failure to avert the loss
- Routine medical tests and medical expenses which were levied on regular health checkups.
- Any student travel insurance claim that is made post completion of the policy term shall not be considered by the insurer
- Any self-infliction or suicidal attempt due to depression, intoxication, mental stress, hypertension, drug addiction and other mental influences
- If the insured person is willingly engaged in any life-threatening occupation or hazardous activity, then the insurer is not liable to recompense
- If the insured student is voluntarily engaged in any criminal or illegal activity
- Any complications arising due to pregnancy, abortion or miscarriage would not be given a cover under the student travel insurance policy by Bajaj Allianz
- If your medical practitioner or doctor has suggested you to not take the trip or a particular treatment and you happen you to do it against the medical advice then you surely would not be considered by the insurer
- If the insured person takes any other treatment other than allopathy
- If you purchase any products for hearing aid or contact lenses, then do not expect the insurer to bear the cost
So, if you find yourself stuck in any such situation then you would already know that what all situations will be covered and what all situations will not be covered. If you avoid just brushing through the policy terms and conditions and read the policy features and coverage then you would be able to deal with such situations effectively.
- Most Read
- 7 EU Countries & Switzerland Allow Indians Fully Vaccinated with Covishield to Visit
Date: 02 July 2021
- Ten Countries That Are Open for Indians to Travel Right Now
Date: 25 June 2021
- What Is Vaccine Passport? Reason Behind India Opposing The Idea At International Fora
Date: 23 June 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine Certificate to Get Linked to Your Passport
Date: 23 June 2021
- Don’t Forget to Buy Travel Insurance for Tokyo 2021 Olympics Trip
Date: 21 June 2021
- Best Travel Insurance Policies in India
Views : 69197
- Benefits of Buying a Travel Insurance Plan for Your Next Holiday
Views : 25658
- Best Travel Insurance Companies in India
Views : 21107
- Travel Insurance or International Health Insurance: Which is the Best Option for You?
Views : 11891
- How to Claim Compensation for Lost, Delayed or Damaged Luggage
Views : 11852