California Institute of Technology (Caltech) Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 561 -
Updated date : 15 January 2019
California Institute of Technology - Overview
Studying abroad is a dream for a large number of students. But choosing the best overseas university could easily prove to be a daunting and a cumbersome task. In fact, one’s choice of foreign university may easily spell the difference between success and failure in the long run. California Institute of Technology, also popularly called CALTECH, is one of the most sought after university amongst foreign educational institutions. No wonder, hordes of students from India and other parts of the world make a beeline to get admission in the ever-so-prestigious, California Institute of Technology.
California Institute of Technology for Foreign Students
The university is well-known for its potency in natural science and engineering. The university consistently ranks alongside the top ten universities worldwide. Founded in the year 1891, Caltech was founded with the objective of spreading the potential of science through technical research. Gradually, the university has become a hub for students from different parts of the USA as well as the globe.
Entry Essentials for California
- Student VISA Information - Foreign students travelling to California must obtain a valid Visa to enter the country. Visa applications can be downloaded from the official website of the CIA and submit to the authorised visa agent.
- Passport Information - As a rule, travellers to California need to have a passport valid for travel for at least six months beyond their intended stay in the country.
- Visa Waiver Programme - It is an initiative of the USA Government, under which a visitor is allowed the citizens from 38 participating countries to stay up to 90 days without a visa.
- ESTA Authorisation - To enter California under VWP, travellers must have an approval through the process of Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) that involves furnishing specified details of traveller(s) before they hop aboard their flights to California, the educational hub of the USA.
- Student Health Insurance - Most of the popular universities in California offer health insurance for their students. Caltech offers comprehensive health insurance called as Cardinal Care to meet students’ healthcare expenses. This policy covers all medical emergencies for students during their course of stay. However, student travel insurance offered by CALTECH can prove to be an expensive proposition for students from India and many other parts of the world. Therefore, it makes sense to carefully select and buy a travel insurance plan that offers comprehensive health cover as a part of the plan.
California Institute of Technology Insurance Vs. Student Travel Insurance
CALTech Student Health Insurance
Student Travel Insurance
Dental pain relief
80% of negotiated charge
*Comparison date culled from CALtech Student Health Insurance brochure and TATA AIG Student Guard Plan brochure.
Admission Requirements for California Institute of Technology
A student can apply for California Institute of Technology either through Common Application or Coalition Application with the Supplemental Application Essays. Students also can apply via QuestBridge National College Match, which is a college and scholarship application process.
The minimum requirement for getting admissions in the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) involves:
- $75 application fee or fee waiver (by request)
- Standardized tests
- Teacher evaluations
- Secondary school report
- Academic transcripts
- TOEFL scores
- International Financial Aid Statement of Intent
Top Attractions for Students near California Institute of Technology
California Institute of Technology is one of the preferred and sought-after universities for foreign students, especially students from India. Quite expectedly, the university is surrounded by some of the best attractions that the city has on offer. From cliff-lined beaches to redwood forest, there are plenty of attractions in and around the CALTech. Here is a list of the some of the most popular attractions in the close vicinity of Caltech:
- The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens
- The Huntington Desert Garden
- Massage Envy Spa Pasadena-South Lake
- Norton Simon Museum
- Colorado Boulevard
Shopping Attractions for Students near California Institute of Technology
Foreign students going to California Institute of Technology can find everything that they wish to shop for in and around the institute, be it books or designer school bags. In fact, Caltech campus offers unique options to explore with various shopping points nearby. Some of the best places for students to shop around the area include:
- Glendale Galleria
- Paseo Colorado
- South Lake Avenue
- The Americana at Brand
- Westfield Santa Anita Mall
Eating out near California Institute of Technology Hotels near Stanford University
There is no dearth of options for foodies as the Caltech campus offers a handful of restaurants serving delicious food in its close vicinity. Some of the best restaurants where students can satisfy their hunger in a nominal budget include:
- Ernie's Al Fresco
- Pie n' Burger
- Green Street Restaurant
- Nick's on South Lake Avenue
California Institute of Technology Transport for Students
The university provides an on-campus as well as off-campus transportation facility for the Caltech community. Moreover, those with private vehicles can utilise the parking space to the fullest. Moreover, the campus is well-connected through metro lines and busses. A new metro line, Metro Line 177, was introduced in January this year to make it easy for students to travel to and from Caltech. Moreover, students can avail Metro U-pass at $60. To become eligible to avail the pass, one must enrol in UG with eight+ units.
Local Law and Etiquette to follow in California Institute of Technology
- Drinking Age - Foreign students must make sure that they are 21 before indulging in alcohol. In addition, valid identity documents are required to buy alcoholic beverages.
- Smoking age - The official smoking age for foreign students in and around the Caltech campus is 21 years. Remember, students need to furnish proper and valid identity documents to buy cigarettes.
- Non-emergency line for avail police assistance: (559) 621-7000 for assistance
- Smoking is completely prohibited inside the Caltech campus. Foreign students who have the habit of smoking must get their nicotine fix.
Students from India and other parts of the world planning to get admissions in California Institute of Technology must get acquainted to the educational culture and, laws and etiquettes beforehand in order to make the most of their time within the Caltech campus.
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Ohio State University Student Health Insurance
Date: 16 May 2019
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Student Health Insurance
Date: 01 May 2019
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) Student Health Insurance
Date: 29 April 2019
- Harvard University Student Health Insurance
Date: 25 April 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 20361
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 7829
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 6681
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 6654
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 6212
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator