Tips to File International Travel Insurance Claims
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1681 -
Updated date : 18 December 2019
Overseas travel insurance plans are for people who are traveling anywhere around the world, for leisure, work or vacation purposes. Overseas travel insurance plan is available for a single trip or for multi-trips. Post completion of the policy term, it has to be renewed to further enjoy the benefits.
Even after purchasing the right travel insurance policy there are times when customers are not able to file the claims with the insurance provider in due time even after proper documentation. This can lead to rejection of your claim and even a delay in your travel insurance claims. Mentioned-below are a few travel insurance claim scenarios and the steps that you can follow to file a claim-
Medical and Accidental Emergencies
You may need to use your travel insurance in case you fall sick due to climatic conditions and also due to an accident. With travel insurance, you can avail the best treatment and also get emergency evacuation to your home country. You can easily inform your insurance over email, call or through a missed call facility these days. If the claim is accepted then you can avail cashless treatment in a foreign land and save yourself from making a hole in your pocket.
For easy claim settlement, you are required to keep all your medical reports, prescriptions, and payment receipts or any other documents as mentioned in the claim procedure. Also, make sure that all the documents are dated, duly signed, and stamped. In case of a third-party involvement or any accidental claim, you will also need to submit a police FIR report.
For smooth emergency evacuation to the country of origin you will need to take a fit-to-fly consent form the insurance provider and from the treating facility overseas.
Delay of Checked Baggage
Loss and delay of baggage are quite common while traveling abroad. However, to get timely compensation for your name you need to submit the payment receipts for the basic items that you purchased due to a delay in the checked-in baggage delivery. Get a letter from the airline authenticating the loss and delay of the baggage. In addition, you need to submit the tickets, a copy of boarding pass, and a copy of your passport, and baggage delivery receipt to confirm the travel dates to file for reimbursement from the insurer. So, the moment you return from your trip, file your claim and submit all the required documents.
Loss of Passport
You need to inform the travel insurance provider about the loss and also file a police FIR. It is suggested that you always carry a copy of your passport to avoid trouble in such a scenario. You also need to have receipts of all the expenses incurred while obtaining a new passport and submit these receipts while lodging your claim after coming back home. Travel insurance companies require documents such as identity proofs, embassy and passport office receipts, a copy of canceled cheque, emergency travel certificate and a copy of new passport.
At times you may need to cancel or cut short your trip due to family and health emergencies. You can file a travel insurance claim for any monetary loss suffered due to trip cancellation or curtailment as followed.
Immediately inform your insurance provider about the change of plan or any emergency. For this, you would need to provide the documents as evidence mentioning the reason for trip cancellation or curtailment. For example, hospital bills are required in the event of an accident or a police report in the event of a burglary and death certificate as the case may be.
Fill the claim form and submit the documents like flight and hotel bookings. The insurance company will get back with the claim denial or acceptance and will initiate the process.
Additional Travel Insurance Benefits
There are various insurance providers that offer other benefits as well. Depending on the plan and the insurance company you can select from the below-mentioned benefits as well. However, the procedure may vary from one insurer to another. But mostly, any claim involves timely intimation to the insurance provider and submission of the required documents.
1. Personal Accident Cover: With this benefit, you get coverage against any accidental injuries or an unfortunate event of death succumbing to such physical injuries. In this case, your travel insurance company would compensate for your legal nominee or representative. The recompense will be in adherence to the policy terms and conditions.
2. Coverage for Permanent or Total Disability: If the insured person succumbs to any accidental injury or disability that involves impairment or permanent damage to either limbs or vision impairment in single or both the eyes, then overseas travel Insurance would be your savior. The insurer would recompense the sum assured to the policy holder’s nominee; ensure that his name should be mentioned in the travel insurance plan at the time of issuance.
3. Bonus Coverage for Child Education: In some travel insurance plans, the company is liable to pay additional compensation in the name of a one-time payment of 2% of the sum insured for each dependent child, in case it has accepted a death claim or permanent total disability claim. This compensation is aimed at providing the education cost to children below 21 years of age, who should be studying as on the date of accidental injury.
Limitations of Overseas Travel Insurance
Please know that the insurer will not accept your claim under the following circumstances:
- Any loss or damage incurred due to suicidal attempt or any intentional harm to oneself
- Any self-infliction act due to any mental disorders or hopelessness
- Any loss or damage caused under the influence of alcohol, drugs or intoxication
- Any loss or damage caused in the act of vehicle racing or trial
In order to settle your overseas travel insurance claims, you must follow the timeline given by the travel insurance provider to file a claim. Usually, it ranged from one to two months after your return date. Nevertheless, if you submit all the essential details and documents and details while you are on your trip, then the insurer will settle your claim at the same time.
- Most Read
- 7 Things To Know Before Claiming International Travel Insurance
Date: 31 December 2019
- Top 8 Tips to Follow When Travelling to Thailand in 2020
Date: 27 November 2019
- These 9 Important Things That Every Frequent Overseas Traveller Should Have
Date: 14 November 2019
- How Important is to Buy Travel Insurance when Travelling to the US?
Date: 05 November 2019
- International Travel Insurance Myths You Got to Stop Believing
Date: 20 August 2019
- 10 Best Travel Insurance Plans for Your New Year Travel
Views : 12385
- What are the benefits of International Travel Insurance?
Views : 12110
- How to Get the Best Deals on Travel Insurance?
Views : 10804
- International Travel Insurance Plans
Views : 9891
- How Trip Cancellation Affects Your Travel Insurance
Views : 8462
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator
- Travel Insurance Calculator