Canada Work Visa
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 3315 -
Updated date : 07 July 2021
Canada is counted amongst the top developed nations in the world. The country has been ranked as the second-best country in the world in terms of entrepreneurship, quality of life, economic influence, cultural influence and overall sustainability. It has been ranked as the world’s 10th largest economy in 2019 by the World Economic League Table. This is probably why more and more foreigners are coming to Canada for work. In case you too are looking to work in Canada, then you will first have to obtain a Canada Work visa. Know everything starting from the application process to supporting documents and visa fees in this guide for Canada work visa for Indians.
What is Canada Work Visa?
Work Permit for Canada is referred to as Canada Work Visa by most people. It is an official permit that allows a foreign citizen to work in Canada for a specific period of time. Unlike common assumption, a Canada work permit is not a type of Canada visa. Therefore, applicants seeking to obtain a work permit will also have to obtain a Canada Visitor visa separately to be able to travel and work in Canada.
The work permit is issued on arrival in Canada to the people with a letter of approval/ authorization by the Embassy of Canada in his home country. The permit is valid for a single trip or multiple trips depending on the nature and duration of the job taken in Canada.
The work permit is valid for foreign nationals who want to work in Canada as temporary workers, caregivers, agricultural workers, business professionals, intra-company transferees, traders, investors and international students. Foreigners can also obtain a work permit under International Experience Canada (IEC) or Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).
People travelling to Canada for work are advised to obtain travel insurance before beginning their trip. A travel insurance Canada plan will make sure that you stay protected from any unfortunate incidents during your stay in Canada.
Types of Canada Work Visa
There are two types of Canada Work visa for Indians. Foreign nationals planning to work in Canada will have to apply for any one of these work permits. Following are the two variants of work permits available for Canada:
Employer-Specific Work Permit
This type of work permit allows its holder to work only for the employer mentioned in the permit. The permit holder will have to abide by the conditions stated on his work permit in order to work legally in Canada. Some of the information mentioned on the Employer-Specific Work Permit includes the name of the specific employer with whom he can work as well as the location and duration of work.
Open Work Permit
This type of work permit allows its holder to work for any employer in Canada, except for those listed as ineligible. This permit can be issued to vulnerable workers who have been victims of abuse under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program of Canada. However, the Open Work Permit forbids the permit holder to work for an employer that offers services such as striptease, erotic massages, dance, etc.
How to Apply for Canada Work Visa for Indians?
All those people who want to obtain a Canada Work visa for Indians can apply online as well through the paper application. Follow the steps given below to apply for a work permit for Canada:
Apply for Canada Work Visa for Indians Online:
- Go to the official website of Government of Canada
- Open the menu and click on ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Select the ‘Work’ option to open the page
- Go to ‘Get a work permit’ option
- Choose the relevant type of worker
- Click on the option ‘Apply for a work permit’
- Select the ‘how to apply tab’
- Scroll down and select the place from where you are applying for a Canada work visa for Indians
- Click on ‘Get the application to work in Canada’
- Select online application in the drop-down menu and your home country
- Create an account or sign in to your existing account
- Fill up the application form and submit it
- Upload the supporting documents
- Pay your visa fees online
- Fix an appointment at the Canada Visa Application Centre (VAC)
- Get your picture clicked and give your biometric details at the VAC
- Go for a visa interview if you are called for it
- Successful applicants will get the Approval/ Authorization letter from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate
Apply for Canada Work Visa for Indians Offline:
- Go to the official website of Government of Canada
- Open the menu and select ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Select ‘My application’ option to open the page
- Click on ‘Find forms and guides’
- Scroll down and select ‘Application for work permit made outside Canada’ in the drop-down menu
- Go to ‘Get the form’ option to download the application form
- Fill up the downloaded application form
- Arrange all the documents required to apply for a Canada work visa for Indians
- Schedule an appointment at the relevant Visa Application Centre (VAC) for Canada
- Submit your application form and supporting documents at the VAC
- Give your biometric details and get your picture clicked
- Pay the visa fees
- Attend your visa interview if you are summoned for it
- Applicants who clear the interview will get their Authorization/ Approval letters from the Canadian Embassy/ Consulate
Documents Required for Canada Work Visa for Indians
Every Canada Work visa applicant needs to submit a few documents to complete his visa application process. Following is the list of documents that the applicant will have to submit at the time of applying for a Canada Work Visa for Indians:
- Original passport with validity for the entire duration of the job
- All expired or cancelled passports of the applicants
- Proof of the applicant’s educational qualification. It should include degree, mark sheet as well as certificates
- Proof of existing work experience, which may include:
- Copy of appointment and relieving letters from current and previous employers
- Copy of salary slips and Form 16 issued by the employer
- Letter of reference stating the nature and duration of the applicant’s job
- Bank statements
- Contact details including, phone numbers and address of the employers
- Proof of applicant’s personal funds, including:
- Income tax returns for the last two years
- Bank statements for the last three months
- Proof of income from other sources such as property documents, investments, etc.
- Application form for Temporary Resident Visa (if required)
- Family Information Form (if dependent family members are also travelling to Canada)
- Copy of marriage certificate and child’s birth certificate (if the spouse or dependent children are also travelling to Canada)
- Job offer by the employer (if required)
Additional Documents for Applicants under the Live-In Caregiver Program:
- Proof of taking a caregiver training course
- Evidence of at least one year experience as a caregiver
- Contract of Live-in Caregiver Program
- Proof of proficiency in English or French language
- Evidence of financial ability of the applicant’s employer to hire a live-in caregiver, including:
- Recent Notice of Assessment (NOA) of the employer and his spouse in Canada
- Family composition of the employer
Canada Work Visa Fee
All applicants of Canada work visa for Indians need to pay work permit fees at the time of applying. The Canadian Embassy/ Consulates will not consider the application if the applicant does not pay the fee. The work permit fees consist of application fee as well as the biometric fee.
Refer to the table given below to find out the work permit fees applicable to different types of applicants:
|Types of Applicants||Work Permit Fees (In CAD)|
|Application Fees||Biometric Fee|
|Individual applicant||155||85 (per person)170 (per family with at least 2 members)|
|Group applicant (at least 3 applicants)||465||255|
An applicant can pay the work permit fee online as well as at the Visa Application Centre. In order to pay the fees online, the applicant should have a working debit or credit card. On the other hand, offline permit fee can be paid in the local currency at the VAC.
How to Track the Status of Canada Work Visa for Indians?
The Embassy of Canada usually takes about five weeks to process an application for a work permit. During this period, the applicant can keep a track of the status of his Canada visa application online. In order to check the status of his Canada Work visa for Indians, the applicant can follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of the Government of Canada
- Go to the menu and select ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Click on ‘My application’ to open the page
- Go to ‘Check your application status’
- Choose ‘Work permit’ in the drop-down menu
- Create an account or sign in to your existing online account
- If you had applied through paper applications, link your visa application to the online account
- You can check the status of your application for a work permit
- Most Read