Australia Visitor Visa
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 2839 -
Updated date : 16 July 2020
If you are planning to visit Australia for sightseeing, or a holiday, or to visit friends/family you would need to apply for a Visitor Visa Australia (Subclass 600 - Tourist visa). People who are planning to go for training or an informal study for the duration of lesser than 3 months, then they also need to apply for a Visitor Visa to Australia. However, please note that Australia Visitor Visa for Indians does not allow you to do paid work.
The subclass 600 Visitor Visa Australia also has other stream options such as Sponsored Family stream. And the australia visa applications for this stream are filed and processed in Australia.
Why do you Need Visitor Visa Australia (subclass 600)?
The Visitor Visa Australia (subclass 600) lets you visit Australia for tourism or business visitor activities such as a conference, or an exploratory business visit. On a visitor visa, you are not allowed to work for or provide services to any organization/business in Australia or sell any goods or provide services to the public.
And if you are planning to work in Australia for the short-term you would need a temporary work visa subclass 400 (for short stay activity).
Overview of Visitor Visa Australia (subclass 600)
- You might be granted a stay of 3 months, 6months or 12 months
- If you are a parents of an Australian citizen you might be permitted to stay for a longer duration
- Permit you to visit family and friends, holiday or cruise
Stay: Up to 12 months
Cost: From AUD145
Visitor Visa Australia Fee: AUD 145
Visitor Visa Australia Processing Time:
- 75% of Visitor Visa Australia applications are processed in 16 days
- 90% of Visitor Visa Australia applications are processed in 27 days
However, you must:
- Have enough funds for your stay in Australia
- intend to travel for visit purposes only
- not intend to work in Australia
To get the Subclass 600 Australia Visitor Visa for Indians, the following criteria need to be met:
- The purpose of travel should not be for medical treatment or business purposes
- You should genuinely be planning to visit for a temporary period only
- You should have sufficient bank balance to support your stay in Australia
- You should qualify certain public interest criteria like health criteria and character criteria before issuing a Visitor Visa Australia
While applying for a Visitor Visa to Australia, you would need to provide your immigration history including:
- The last time you visited Australia and if you complied with the visa rules
- Your past overseas travels
- The number of times you have applied for an Australian visa before
Following documents are required to prove that you genuinely plan to visit Australia for a temporary period:
- Employment proof in India
- Proof that your employer has approved your leaves for the trip
- Proof of your family ties in Australia or India
- School or University Admission Proof ( if applicable)
- Income proof, such as your bank statements and any assets that you own
- Proof of commitments that you have in India such membership with an organization or any voluntary work
How to Apply for a Visitor Visa to Australia?
It is quite easy and convenient to apply for a Visitor Visa to Australia. You can do it both ways either online or offline. Below are the requirements when applying for a Visitor Visa Australia online:
- Visitor Visa Australia Application Form
- Visa application charge
- Notarized copy of all the passport pages including the alterations page, bio data page, front and back page
- 2 recent photographs (passport sized)
- Bank statement copies (personal and business)
- Booking details
- Copies of documents for any other funds or assets held by you
- Past 3-years ITR proof
You can check-out the current visa application charges and any other VISA related queries for the Indian residents on the Australian online portal. For more details and queries, you can also reach out to the Australian Embassy and Consulate in India:
|Consulates/ Embassy||Address||Contact details||Working hours|
|Australian High Commission||1/50 G, Shanti path, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, 110021||011-4139 9900||Mon-Fri (9:00AM-5:00 PM)
Sat- Sun Closed
Documents Required to Apply for Visitor Visa Australia
Documentation is an important part of Australia visitor visa for Indians. The document checklist can be found online on the Australian Department of Home Affairs' official website. Below are some of the documents that you would require when applying for Australia Visitor Visa for Indians:
- A copy of your current passport
- Travel health insurance policy
- Copy of birth certificate/ driving license/ Aadhar card
- Documents supporting change in name, if any
- Two recent passport size photo with the applicant’s name written on the back (45 mm x 35 mm)
- Proof of financial capacity to afford travel and stay in Australia
- Character and Health documents ( if asked)
How to Apply for Your Visitor Visa to Australia Online?
You would need to fill and submit the Visitor Visa Australia application form, can be downloaded from the Australian online portal (https://www.border.gov.au/
Submit your documents and visa application through the ImmiAccount. And the steps are as follows:
- log in to the ‘ImmiAccount’
- Select the ‘New Application’
- Select the Visitor Visa Australia application from the list
- Now continue with your saved application
- Attach all the required documents
- Select ‘ Attach’ to Upload
- Copy, share and send your Visitor Visa Australia Application
Check your Visitor Visa Application Status Online:
You can easily check your visitor visa Australia application status in your ImmiAccount. Go to the 'My applications summary' and check your application progress:
- Incomplete: Once you start an application but it is not completed
- Ready to submit means the application is duly filed and can be submitted online
- Submitted is shown after you submit a Visitor Visa Australia application
- Received is shown when your visa application is received by the department and can be during the processing times
- Initial assessment means the department is assessing your visa application
- Further assessment means the department is assessing information that was requested
- Finalized means the department has taken a decision and you will be notified via post or email
How long can I stay in Australia with a Visitor Visa Australia Stamp on My Passport?
Usually, Australia Visitor Visa for Indians permits single or multiple entries to Australia. You will be eligible to stay for a period of three, six, or twelve months in Australia depending on your visit requirements.
A three month stay with a multiple entry facility and a validity period of one year meets the requirements of most visitors to Australia.
Visitor Visa Australia is designed to make it eligible for people to visit Australia for a shorter duration. It does not permit to stay longer than 12 months. In certain cases, a longer stay may be permitted for the permanent residents or parents of the citizens of Australia
Longer Visitor Visas for parents of Permanent Residents and Citizens of Australia
If you are a permanent resident or have Australian citizenship and want your parents of to apply for Australia visitor visa for Indians for a longer stay then the department will grant the same as the per the case:
- Visitor Visa Australia for parents staying outside Australia up to 3-years validity and are not in Parent-visa queue
- Visitor Visa Australia for parents staying outside Australia up to 5-years validity and are in the Parent-visa queue (subclass 103)
Visitor Visa Australia - FAQs
Q1. Who should apply for a Visitor Visa to Australia?
Ans: Anyone planning to visit Australia for tourism purposes- be it a holiday, sightseeing, or a friend/family member will require a Visitor Visa to Australia (Subclass 600 - Tourist stream). Even if you are planning to go for an informal study or for the training of fewer than 3 months, then also you can apply for an Australia Visitor Visa for Indians. Please not that you are not permitted to do any paid work is d on a visitor visa.
Q2. How long can I stay on a Visitor Visa in Australia?
Ans: With a visitor visa, you can travel as a tourist for a maximum of 3 months. If it’s a multiple entry visa you can stay up to 3 months every time you visit within a period of 12 months from the date your Australian visitor visa is granted.
Q3. Do I need a travel insurance policy when travelling to Australia?
Ans: A travel health insurance policy is a pre-requisite when applying for a Visa to Australia. You would need to have a valid travel health insurance policy before you can get a visa to Australia.
- Most Read