Schengen Visa Insurance - Here is All You Need to Know
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 801 -
Updated date : 05 June 2020
Travelling to Europe is like a dream coming true. Europe is a continent, which will give you lifetime memories to cherish and has so much to explore.
Travelling within Europe gives you a historical experience amidst living history. From snow-capped mountains, golden charm, jaw-dropping views, urban scenery, medieval architecture, authentic European cuisine and much more will simply make you stand in awe admiring the beauty that surrounds you.
So, if in case either you or somebody you know is heading towards this destination, then you are at the correct spot. Read on!
Let us get started with the Travel Essentials for the Schengen Trip
- Valid Passport: A passport, which is valid for 06 months post the date of your travelling along with two blank pages left and with copies of other visas, applied in the past through the current passport.
- Schengen Visa: Yes, you read it right. You would require a Schengen visa for visiting Europe. Whether you are visiting the continent for leisure, professional work or higher studies, a Schengen visa is a mandate and has to be obtained by all non-European citizens.
Important Considerations While Applying for Schengen Visa
In case, if you are planning to visit a single Schengen country then you need to apply for a Schengen visa with that specific country’s consulate or embassy.
If you intend to visit multiple Schengen countries then you would need to apply for the visa to the consulate or embassy of the prime destination that you will be travelling.
However, if you do not have any prime destination then to obtain a Schengen visa you would need to apply in the consulate or embassy of the country from where you will be travelling to enter the boundaries of Schengen.
Attention: It is important to note that one cannot obtain a Schengen visa without valid Schengen travel insurance. If you have plans for travelling to Schengen countries, Schengen travel insurance is necessary.
Wondering the Countries Falling under the Schengen Mandate
In the below grid, are the states, which can be given a visit with a valid Schengen Visa:
Can We Miss Schengen Visa Insurance
If you are excited and thrilled about your Schengen trip, then there is no scope of missing on the Schengen visa insurance.
For your information, until the time you do not submit your Schengen travel insurance documents you are not eligible to apply for a Schengen visa. Therefore, if you wish to travel to Schengen countries then buying Schengen travel insurance cannot be missed at any cost.
It is also important because we do not want that you land into trouble on foreign soil, which might just jeopardize your savings. Make sure that with Schengen visa insurance the possible uncertainties are covered so that you do not come back with the baggage of worries.
Schengen Visa Travel Insurance Essentials
Medical travel insurance is a necessity to obtain a Schengen visa and meet the below criteria:
- The minimum medical cover needs to be of 30,000 Euro.
- Cover all the member states of the Schengen area.
- It should include covers for any expenses, which might incur during the trip related to travel or health-related perils.
- It should cover the insured person throughout the entire period of stay in the Schengen area.
Checklist When Buying Schengen Visa Insurance
With a plethora of insurance providers available in the market, it is important to understand the essential and buy those cover that you might need for your Schengen trip.
If you are buying Schengen travel insurance from India, check for the following:
While buying Schengen travel insurance, be sure that it covers the whole territory of Schengen because if it does not then you do not have valid Schengen travel insurance.
- Cover for expenses arising out of any medical emergencies.
- Cover for repatriation of mortal remains while the insured demises due to any natural calamity or an unfortunate accident.
- Cover for any accidental bodily injury.
- Cover in case of an emergency evacuation.
- Cover in case of loss of passport, checked-in baggage any other items.
- Cover for trip cancellation/curtailment.
Note: These cover are just for your reference. However, you need to decide on the covers based on nature, duration and purpose of your trip. In case, if you wish to enhance your policy you may opt for add-on covers.
General Exclusions under Travel Insurance for Schengen Visa
The following are some contingencies, which is generally not covered under Schengen travel insurance:
- Any loss due to pre-existing disease.
- Travelling when not advised by doctors/medical practitioners.
- Travelling to undertake any medical treatment overseas.
- The demise of the insured person due to suicide, stress, depression, anxiety, mentally unsound and so on.
Note: The exclusions may differ from insurer to insurer in India. It is recommended to check the inclusions and exclusions carefully while buying the Schengen travel insurance policy.
Factors to be Considered Before Buying Schengen Travel Insurance
Before you zero down Schengen travel insurance, consider the following factors and accordingly make a wise choice:
Schengen Approved Travel Insurance
It is essential to check if the travel insurance for Schengen visa is valid on the website of the VFS.
Frequency of the Trip
It is important to understand the frequency of your trip as it helps you to customize your travel insurance policy accordingly. If you are travelling once a year, you may opt for plans for a single trip. Similarly, there is a specific travel insurance policy designated to the student, senior citizen and so on.
Duration of the Trip
The premium amount is affected by the number of days you intend to stay in the Schengen territory. If you intend to stay for a shorter time, your premium amount will be low and vice versa.
In case, if you have any pre-existing disease you need to check with the insurer if they have a plan, which may accommodate the same. However, if you are a habitual smoker or avid drinker then your premium amount is likely to go high.
If you are heading towards any destination, which is risk-prone, then basis the same your premium will be affected. In case, if you wish to do any adventure sports/activity check with the insurer in regards to the same for a suitable cover within the plan.
How to Buy Schengen Travel Insurance Plan
Schengen travel insurance plan can be bought online on the website of an insurance company or through an insurance aggregator.
An insurance aggregator such as Policybazaar.com permits the traveller to compare the travel insurance plans provided by various insurance providers in India. Once you select the plan, all you need to do is fill up the proposal form and make the payment of premium amount online to buy a Schengen travel insurance plan from India.
Best Travel Insurance for Schengen Countries in India by Top Insurance Companies
There are many companies, which offer the best travel insurance plan for Schengen countries. Therefore, you can consider buying Schengen travel insurance from any of the following insurance providers when travelling from India:
- Aditya Birla Travel Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance
- Bharti AXA Travel Insurance
- Cholamandalam Travel Insurance
- Digit Travel Insurance
- Future Generali Travel Insurance
- HDFC ERGO General Travel Insurance
- HDFC ERGO Health Travel Insurance
- IFFCO Tokio Travel Insurance
- National Insurance Travel Insurance
- New India Assurance Travel Insurance
- Oriental Travel Insurance
- Reliance Travel Insurance
- Religare Travel Insurance
- Royal Sundaram Travel Insurance
- SBI Travel Insurance
- Shriram Travel Insurance
- Star Travel Insurance
- Tata AIG Travel Insurance
- United India Travel Insurance
- Universal Sompo Travel Insurance
Disclaimer : *Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
- Most Read