Compulsory Personal Accident Cover
A compulsory personal accident or PA cover is an add-on cover offered by motor insurance providers to the owner-driver of a car that protects him against any accidental injuries. It provides compensation in case the owner-driver of the car suffered from bodily injuries, permanent disability or death following the car accident.
What Does Personal Accident Cover Mean?
A personal accident cover means it will provide coverage for medical expenses if the owner-driver of the car gets injured in an accident. It comes as an add-on cover that a comprehensive car insurance policyholder can purchase by paying an extra amount in the premium.
Benefits of Personal Accident Cover for Owner-Driver
Here are some of the benefits of Personal accident cover for the owner or driver of the car.
- PA cover is the best protection option when it comes to securing yourself from any accidental injuries.
- If you meet with an accident while driving your car, personal accident cover will provide you with financial aid to help you cover medical expenses incurred during your treatment, including hospitalization charges, treatment costs and medical bills.
- It will also provide you with monetary compensation in case you end up suffering from a permanent disability as a result of the accident.
- PA cover will also provide compensation to the surviving members of your family in case the car accident results in your death.
You might be interested in
Is Personal Accident Cover Mandatory for Owner-Drivers?
In India, it is mandatory for all cars owners to own a personal accident cover. This cover needs to be purchased irrespective of whether you are buying a third-party liability-only policy or comprehensive policy for your car. If you don’t own a PA cover under your car insurance, you will be liable for legal action under the law of the country.
The whole idea behind a PA cover is to ensure that all car owners are covered against personal accidents up to the minimum mandated coverage limit. As per the India Motor Tariff 2002, personal accident cover is issued compulsorily with every car insurance policy. Therefore, it is granted as part of the comprehensive policy as well as the third-party liability-only policy.
Personal Accident Compensation for Owner-Driver
Currently, all car owners are granted a personal accident cover of Rs 15 lakh as per the guidelines issued by IRDAI or the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India. The IRDAI has fixed the PA cover at Rs 15 lakh following an order from the Madras High Court in September 2018.
Car Insurance for Popular Brands in India
No Need to Buy PA Cover More Than Once
As of 1st January 2019, the IRDAI unbundled personal accident cover allowing car owners to skip buying the PA cover if they already own one. Let us break it down for you. Suppose you have two cars and purchased a PA cover while insuring the first car, you don’t have to buy it again while insuring your second car.
Earlier, personal accident cover came as an in-built component of a car insurance policy. As a result, car owners had to purchase a PA cover every time they purchased car insurance for a new car in addition to the existing car(s). This led to multiple PA covers providing the same coverage but coming at an additional premium cost.
Making note of this unnecessary cost borne by the owners of more than one car, the IRDAI decided to unbundle personal accident cover from car insurance allowing people to buy the cover only once.
Premium Cost of Personal Accident Cover
Presently, the premium for a personal accident cover of Rs 15 lakh is fixed at Rs 750. The IRDAI has fixed this premium amount for PA cover under the bundled car insurance policies for all types of cars. However, motor insurance companies have been granted the liberty to decide the premium for unbundled or standalone personal accident cover.
Thus, the premium amount for the PA cover can be higher in the case of unbundled and standalone covers. Therefore, it is beneficial to go for a bundled car insurance policy if you don’t own a personal accident cover. Buying a standalone personal accident cover can turn out to be quite expensive for you.
Add-ons for your car insurance
PA Cover for Paid Driver/ Passengers
What if you have hired a paid driver to take you around and he gets injured in an accident? Well, there are guidelines for paid drivers too.
As per the Workman Compensation Act, the owner of the car or the employer is liable to pay compensation to the paid driver in case he gets injured in an accident while driving his employer’s car. To help you combat such a situation, motor insurance companies offer personal accident cover for paid drivers as an add-on cover. Your insurer will take care of any liabilities towards your paid driver under this cover. However, you will be required to pay an additional premium to buy this cover.
Why buy from Policybazaar Insurance Brokers Private Limited?
- 24x7 Claims Assistance: Our claims experts are now available 24x7 to help you with claim intimation and status updates.
- Cashless Assurance: Call us or the Insurer and you will get a "Delivery Order" for a cashless facility for repairs at any garage across India. In the rare cases of cashless not being provided to you, the claim reimbursement will be paid within 24/48 working hours post submitting documents/original invoice as mentioned against the respective Insurer.
- 3-Day Repair Assurance: Your car will be repaired at a trusted garage and will be delivered back to you within 3 working days.
- Free Pickup & Drop: Call us when you need a claim and a garage partner will pick up and drop your car.
- Self Video Claims: We have made the claims process cooler and smoother. Simply upload a video of your damage through our claims app and we will take care of the rest.
- Windshield Claims At Home: Call us when you have a windshield replacement claim and the garage partner will replace the windshield at your home itself.
Personal Accident Cover: FAQs
Ans: Yes, as per the India Motor Tariff 2002, it is mandatory to purchase a personal accident cover. The car owner car can purchase this policy with third-party liability cover as well.
Ans: Yes, as per the workman compensation act, the car owner or the employer is liable to pay compensation to paid drivers if they get injured in an accident.
Q: Does personal accident cover provides compensation to the surviving family members of the policyholder?
Ans: Yes, PA cover does provide compensation to the surviving family members if the policyholder dies in the accident.
Ans: An amount of Rs 15 lakh is paid under personal accident cover.
Find similar car insurance quotes by body type
Note: This is your car’s recommended IDV as per IRDAI’s depreciation guidelines.asdfsad However, insurance companies allow you to modify this IDV within a certain range (this range varies from insurer to insurer). Higher the IDV, higher the premium you pay.
Car insurance articles
25 Jan 2022Buying at least a third-party four-wheeler insurance cover is...
24 Jan 2022No one would ever want to get their car insurance claims rejected...
21 Jan 2022Having valid motor insurance is a mandatory requirement for every...
19 Jan 2022Planning to buy a Tata AIG car insurance policy but worried about...
19 Jan 2022Apart from being a mandatory purchase, a motor insurance policy is...