Delhi Traffic Rules
The Central Government made some changes in the traffic fines after witnessing a rise in road fatalities. The amendment in the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 came into effect on September 1, 2019. The vehicle owners in the capital city started taking traffic rules a bit more seriously and made sure to carry mandatory documents like driving license, registration certificate, pollution under control certificate and insurance. This has been helping them avoid the Delhi traffic challan.
However, some states like Karnataka, Kerala, Gujarat after witnessing the unaffordable hikes in the traffic fines made changes in their states so that the middle class and lower-middle-class people can afford to pay for the fines. But Delhi did not make any changes in the traffic fines and the amended traffic rules and fines were implemented in the Union Territory of Delhi.
Documents Required to Avoid Delhi Traffic Challan
According to the rules applied by Delhi traffic police, vehicle owners must carry the following documents while driving on the roads of Delhi.
- Valid License
- RegistrationCertificate (RC)
- Pollution under control certificate (PUC)
- Insurance policy (Third-party liability)
If the defaulter is caught violating any Delhi traffic rules and could not show any of these documents when asked by the traffic police will have to face the fine accordingly.
|Violation||Amended Fines (In Rs.)||Old Fines (In Rs.)|
|Without License||5000 and/or community service||500|
|Overspeeding||For LMV: 1000-2000For MPV?HPV: 2000-4000 (Plus License seizure)||400|
|Drunk driving||1000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months15,000 and/or imprisonment for 2 years for repeating the violation||2000|
|Without Insurance||2000 and/or imprisonment for 3 months, community service4000 for subsequent violation||1000 with up to 3 months of punishment|
|Without seatbelt||1000 and/or community service||100|
|Racing and Speeding||5000 and/or imprisonment for 3 months, community service10,000 for subsequent offence and up to 1-year imprisonment, community service||500|
|Dangerous driving & Jumping red light||1000-5000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months to 1 year, License seizure.||100-300|
|Violation of road regulations||500-1000||100|
|Using mobile while driving/riding (handheld)||5000||1000|
|Driving/Riding despite disqualification||10,000 and/or community service||500|
|Not giving way to emergency vehicles||10,000 and/or community service||500|
|Without helmet (Rider & Pillion rider)||1000 and/or license disqualification and/or community service for 3 months||100|
|Overloading on two-wheelers||2000 and license disqualification and/or community service for 3 months||100|
|Juvenile offences||25,000 with imprisonment upto 3 yearsRegistration cancellation for 1 yearJuvenile cannot get a license until 25 years of age|
|Overboard of passengers||200 for every extra passengers and/or community service|
|Using unauthorized vehicles without a license||1000-5000||1000|
|Offering bribes/Enforcing authorities||Two times the fines (as per the traffic rule violation)|
|Not sharing information as per orders by traffic authority/Not obeying orders||2000||500|
|Vehicle without permit||10,000 and/or imprisonment up to 6 months, community service||Up to 5000|
|Riding/Driving without registration||500010,000 for subsequent violation|
If you do not follow the Delhi traffic rules and violate any of the traffic rules the Delhi traffic police can issue the traffic challan according to the violation. If you get caught violating any rule on the camera installed on the signals as well as on the side of the roads then the Delhi traffic police will send you an e-challan to the home address registered and you will have to pay the challan online.
How to Pay Challan Online?
Delhi traffic police have been utilizing digitalization and there are cameras and speed sensors installed on signals as well as on the side of the roads. Any vehicle owner/driver is caught on camera violating the traffic rule will get an e-challan sent to their home address as well as to their registered email ID. To pay the challan online in Delhi, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the Delhi traffic police e-challan website.
- You will see a tab of “Check challan status” on the menu bar.
- Mention the required details like challan number, vehicle number, and DL number.
- Enter the Captcha as shown on the screen.
- Then click on the tab “Get Details”.
- Then you will see the details and payment options tab named “Pay now”.
- Click on “Pay now”
- It will take you to the payment gateway where you will see payment options like Debit/credit card or Net banking.
- Choose your desired option and pay.
- You will receive a receipt on the completion of your payment.
Must-Follow these Traffic Rules in Delhi
All the drivers/riders in Delhi must follow these traffic rules to avoid accidents as well as getting fined by the traffic police.
- All the drivers/riders in Delhi must carry the license, pollution under control certificate, insurance, and registration certificate to avoid getting traffic fines.
- Follow road instructions and traffic signals to avoid it asit will keep you safe from getting into any accidents and keep you from getting fined.
- Wear a helmet both rider and pillion rider while riding on a two-wheeler. As safety comes first.
- Wear your seatbelt while driving a car. It is for your safety.
- Do not use mobile phones whileriding a bike or driving a four-wheeler as it can lead to a fatal accident as well as a hefty fine.
- Do not drink and drive. It can lead to deadly accidents and you will have to pay a heavy fine if the traffic police catch you.
- Cooperate with the traffic officials and do not try and bribe them as it can lead you to some serious trouble or maybe jail.
The rules and regulations are made for your own safety and a smooth flow of traffic. Follow these rules to avoid getting fined.
Ans: There is a fine of Rs. 25,000 with a prison sentence up to 3 years, Registration will be cancelled for 1 year and Juvenile cannot get a license until 25 years of age.
Ans: The penalty for drunk driving in Delhi is a fine of Rs. 1000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months for first-time offense and Rs. 15,000 and/or imprisonment for 2 years for repeating the violation.
Ans: The defaulter will be fined two times the fine amount as per the violation.
Ans: One must carry a third-party liability insurance policy if caught without this policy, the traffic police can issue a challan of Rs. 2000 and/or a prison sentence for 3 months and community service.
Ans: Yes, you can visit the official website of Delhi traffic police and pay the challan online using your debit/credit card as well as through online banking.
Find similar car insurance quotes by body type
RTO Offices by State
Car insurance articles
07 Dec 2023If you are planning to buy an SUV car, it is also essential that
05 Dec 2023Investing in a hatchback can be a great option if you are looking
29 Nov 2023Considering the population of rats in our country, it is common to
29 Sep 2023The concept of Own Damage(OD) is not a new one. For those of us
29 Sep 2023Filing a motor insurance claim can be a complex process, and