- Save up to 75%*
- Compare plans from 15+ insurers
- 25 lakh+ vehicles insured
5 Ways to Save on Car Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 2229 -
Modified 16 November 2016
Let’s face it; paying for car insurance always seems like a burden. Well, you can’t deny the fact that having car insurance, apart from being mandatory in India, is helpful when your vehicle meets with an accident or theft. So, now that we must buy car insurance here are some tips and tricks to lower the cost of hefty premiums.
1. Compare Policies
Haven’t we stressed this enough? Yes, comparison saves a lot of money because you can see side-by side the premium and offered benefits for each policy. Simple, intuitive process leads to good decision and big savings. As, we at PolicyBazaar always say, “Ullu mat banno, ankhein kholo aur compare karo”.
2. Re-evaluate Your Policy Features
Don’t fall for just advertisements. Review all the policy features and determine some riders or add-ons that may not be further required. Cutting on impractical add-ons such as rust protection, sealant cover, etc. can significantly save your premium cost. Make sure to check the utility of each aspect of the plan and keep your options limited.
3. Score High With No Claim Bonus Points
Yes, you can save upto 50% on your car insurance if you aim for high No Claim Bonus (NCB) points. Insurance companies will reward you with No Claim Bonus if you don’t make a claim for a full year, or more. The more claim-free years you achieve, the greater the discount that applies to your premium. Drive safe, gain NCB points and save more on your premiums!
Here’s the table showing discount percentage vis-a-vis claim free year/s:
Number of years with no claim
Discount on policy renewal (%)
4. Increase You Policy Deductibles
Keeping your deductibles high can significantly cut down your car insurance premiums. For instance, if your excess is Rs. 3000 and your claim is worth Rs. 12000, you will pay the first Rs. 3000 and the insurer will pay for the remaining Rs. 9000. The more your deductible is, lesser premium you’ll have to pay. Just make sure you don’t get carried away and select a deductible that is unaffordable, as you’ll need to pay this amount when you make a claim.
5. Install Safety Features
Do you really need to install safety features in your car? While most of the new vehicles come pre-equipped with standard safety features, those with older cars have to think it through. Vehicles equipped with safety features such as anti-theft device, alarm system, anti-lock braking system etc., have generally low premium slabs. Installing additional safety features to older cars can reduce your car insurance premiums in a big way.
When it comes to saving on car insurance, it’s all about knowledge and research. Stay informed and act smart!
- Most Read
- Are You Selling Your Car? Here's How You Should Transfer Your Insurance Policy and Other Documents
Date: 16 January 2019
- Is It Important to Claim Motor Insurance on Time?
Date: 14 January 2019
- Why Did My Car Insurance Go up When I had No Claims?
Date: 04 January 2019
- All You Should Know About Multi-Year Motor Insurance
Date: 30 October 2018
- Here are Five Lesser Known Reasons behind the Rejection of Car Insurance Claims
Date: 24 October 2018
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 296560
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 234238
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 207717
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 201270
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 193718