- 3500+ Cashless Garages across India
- 50 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 24X7 Roadside Assistance
- 100% Insurance Coverage on Service Invoice Price
We promise limited calls
Five Point Plan to Eliminate Fraud Motor Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 3251 -
Modified 16 November 2016
“According to a report by the India Forensic Centre for Studies, the insurance sector is facing loss of Rs. 30,000 crore every year due to frauds.”
Buying car insurance doesn't have to be difficult. But, the growing number of fraud cases in insurance sector has raised the stakes to another level. In today’s time, navigating your way from finding the right policy to signing on the dotted line can be a journey fraught with red flags. Staying cautious and alert is important. So, before you commit, run through this checklist to ensure that your motor insurance policy is a genuine buy.
1. Read your insurance policy carefully
Agents can make false promises to entice you to buy the policy, but it’s your responsibility to check whether the policy actually provides that coverage or not. Be informed of exactly what is covered under your policy and what’s not. It will set your expectations right and save you from feeling cheated at the time of filling a claim.
2. Purchase policy directly through insurance companies or their authorized agents
The best way to remain safe from all kinds of motor insurance frauds is to buy policies directly from the insurer or through their trusted dealers. As for agent’s license and other proof documents before proceeding ahead with the deal.
But, then, it isn’t too difficult for fraudsters to make forged license. We strongly recommend buying policy online directly from company’s website or a trusted website. Remember, online is again full of frauds! You can also verify the company’s authenticity by checking reviews online, or talking to your friends, family members, or colleagues before signing the document.
3. Stay in touch with your insurer
Once you purchase a policy, stay in touch with your insurance company through their customer care or toll-free numbers. Insurance companies provide 15-20 days of free-look period to go through the terms and conditions of the policy and reverse the purchase decision if you find it skeptical. Make full use of this crucial period to assess the legitimacy of your policy provider.
4. Ask for the receipt of premium payment
If you pay premium by cash to an agent, always ask for receipts. Chances are, while, you think your money is invested in a policy, the agent is ripping you off. Also, verify the details mentioned on the receipt such as cheque number, amount, date, payee bank etc. The best way to stay away from such kind of frauds is to pay premium yourself and you can easily do this online within a few minutes.
5. Insist for self-signature
Whether you are buying a new policy or upgrading your existing one, never allow anyone else to sign the proposal form on your behalf. Always insist signing the documents by yourself. This not only will prevent your policy from falling into evil hands but also give you a chance to crosscheck the mentioned details about your vehicle.
The best way to pass up these motor insurance frauds is to be attentive and vigilant. Always remember – If it sounds too good to be true…it is a fraud!
- Most Read
- Filing Car Insurance Claim? Here are 6 Reasons Why Your Car Insurance Claim can be Denied
Date: 18 September 2018
- Want to Buy Car Insurance? Here is How to Select the Best Car Insurance Company in India
Date: 17 September 2018
- Here’s When Should You Change Your Car Insurance Company
Date: 12 September 2018
- 6 Car Insurance Myths Might Cost You a Fortune
Date: 11 September 2018
- What are the Steps for Tata AIG Car Insurance Renewal?
Date: 14 August 2018
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 268340
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 200608
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 188991
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 184990
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 182655