- Save up to 75%*
- Compare plans from 15+ insurers
- 25 lakh+ vehicles insured
How to Make Car Insurance Claims?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 38113 -
Modified 24 August 2018
How to Claim Car Insurance?
With a new car comes a package of added expenses. Its maintenance and operating cost are part and parcel of these expenses. However, sometimes an unfortunate incident may occur that may damage your vehicle. The best way to deal with such unforeseen circumstances is by getting cheap car insurance offering a good cover. Getting a cheap auto insurance policy will relieve you from making bulky losses in case of any unexpected incident. Check out the procedure for car insurance claims in India.
- Call your insurance representative or the company as soon as possible even if you are away from home or even if someone else caused the accident.
- Take guidance from your representative or insurance provider on how to proceed and what forms or documents will be required to support your claim.
- Your insurance company may require a "proof of loss" form as well as documents relating to your claim (such as medical and car repair bills and a copy of the police report). Supply all the information your insurer requires to process your claim.
- Keep records of all your expenses as a result of the accident which may be reimbursed under your policy.
- Keep copies of your paperwork intact. You may need it for reference later.
At the scene of the accident, you should stop and get help for the injured. Call the police and notify the nearest medical unit. Provide police with the information they require. Take steps to protect your car from further damage. Your Insurance Company will probably want to have someone inspect it and appraise the damage before you order the repair work done.
Claim is a legal statement to obtain money or the enforcement of a right against another party. The legal document which carries a claim is called a Statement of Claim. It can be any communication often expressed in amount of money the party should pay or reimburse.
There are several issues of significance when filing a statement of claim. Although filing a claim is fairly straight forward, it is important to do it properly or else the claim can become null and void.
Following may be the circumstances one should check if the car insurance claim is to be made:
1. Voluntary Excess
Generally we know that higher the excess, lower is the premium required to be paid. Voluntary Excess is certain amount of money an insured opt to bear in case of an accident and the rest is insured under the policy. At times the cost of damage caused in an accident is low and is even less than the excess amount you have volunteered to pay. In such cases, it is not advisable to claim as it is equivalent to the excess amount the insured anyways has to pay. But if the damage is big and the cost to repair is huge, then you should definitely file the claim.
2. No Claim Bonus
Generally, all the insurance companies offer a no claim bonus to the policy holders who have not made any claim on there last policy. However, the bonus amount varies from company to company. It is great if you have no accidents and you naturally have a claim free year. But on the other hand, in case of an accident, you can still save on your no claim bonus. Let us take an example to explain this.
Suppose that you have opted to pay a voluntary excess of Rs.4000 and in case of an accident the bills are within the range of the deductible amount. In this context calculate the discount you are eligible to receive if you hold a claim free year.
Suppose, you are applicable to a discount of 10% which is Rs.6000/-. It is clear that the discount exceeds the deductible amount you need to pay. In such cases it is advisable to pay the bills out of your own pocket and maintain a claim free year to avail the discounts in future renewals. However if the repair cost is high, you should file the claim.
3. Damage Caused
Before repairing the damage privately, confirm the costs involved and that it is covered by insurance. Once you are aware about the costs involved and the coverage, decide if the claim is required. If the damage is big and can cost you huge sum then go ahead and file the claim. However, if the cost is nominal and affordable to your pocket avoid claiming. This will save you some discount on the premium at renewal. Get in touch with our customer service if you have queries or if you need any further assistance.
- Most Read
- Are You Selling Your Car? Here's How You Should Transfer Your Insurance Policy and Other Documents
Date: 16 January 2019
- Is It Important to Claim Motor Insurance on Time?
Date: 14 January 2019
- Why Did My Car Insurance Go up When I had No Claims?
Date: 04 January 2019
- All You Should Know About Multi-Year Motor Insurance
Date: 30 October 2018
- Here are Five Lesser Known Reasons behind the Rejection of Car Insurance Claims
Date: 24 October 2018
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 302213
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 240759
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 213137
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 201608
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 193999