- Save up to 75%*
- Compare plans from 15+ insurers
- 25 lakh+ vehicles insured
Insurers Demanding More Hike in Third-Party Premium
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 2116 -
Modified 14 April 2014
Industry demands higher third-party premiums to cover the losses. After raising the provisioning last year to 210%, the premiums should also be increased.
According to industry officials, the hike of 10-15% in third-party insurance by the regulator is insufficient as it doesn't cover the losses. KG Krishnamoorthy Rao, the chief executive of Future Generali India Insurance told PTI that this hike is not enough and therefore the claim ration will remain in the range of 140-150% despite the hike.
The regulator IRDA against a demand of 50% hike by the industry has raised the third-party premium by 10-15%.
To cover the mounting losses, the industry is constantly demanding for higher premiums as the third-party insurance premium is one of the loss making segments.
Insurers will approach the regulator for reconsideration and will also take up this issue with the General Insurance Council according to Tata AIG General Insurance chief executive K K Mishra. He also added that premium rates should be more after raising the provisioning from 145% to 210% last year.
Sanjay Datta, the chief (Underwriting and Claims) of ICICI Lombard General Insurance said that private car and two-wheeler customers will have limited impact of the hike in third-party premium as it constitutes a small component of the total premium. He further added that it's a prudent attempt for maintaining the balance between the need to increase rates given the hike in claims and impact on customers.
- Most Read
- Are You Selling Your Car? Here's How You Should Transfer Your Insurance Policy and Other Documents
Date: 16 January 2019
- Is It Important to Claim Motor Insurance on Time?
Date: 14 January 2019
- Why Did My Car Insurance Go up When I had No Claims?
Date: 04 January 2019
- All You Should Know About Multi-Year Motor Insurance
Date: 30 October 2018
- Here are Five Lesser Known Reasons behind the Rejection of Car Insurance Claims
Date: 24 October 2018
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 296181
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 233792
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 207335
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 201243
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 193694