Gujarat Traffic Police Challan & Traffic Fines
From car owners to bike owners as well as commercial vehicle owners, everyone has to abide by the traffic rules to not attract traffic fines and stay safe on the roads of Gujarat. However, road accidents seem inevitable whether vehicle owners/drivers follow the traffic rules or not. As per the data released by the Gujarat traffic police department, more than 7000 people have lost their lives in 2018 on the roads of Gujarat.
Gujarat Traffic Rules
The Government of India after witnessing a rise in road accidents resulting in severe injuries and deaths amended the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988. The amendments came into effect on September 1, 2019. The amendment made the people of Gujarat more aware of carrying the mandatory documents with them while driving/riding on the roads of Gujarat. This practice helped them to avoid the Gujarat traffic challan.
However, the increased penalties by the Government of India seemed too much as it imposed unbearable expenditure for the people of Gujarat. Keeping the welfare of the citizens in mind, Vijay Rupani headed the state government reduced the Gujarat traffic challan amount up to 90% of the updated challans amount.
The reduction in the challan rates ranges from 25% to 90% and it will depend upon the severity of the violation.
Documents Required to Avoid Gujarat Traffic Challan
As per the rules of Gujarat traffic, every owner/driver has to carry these documents.
- Registration Certificate (RC)
- License to drive
- Third-party liability insurance
- Pollution under control (PUC)
If any of the drivers/owners of a vehicle are caught without any of these documents, then the traffic police will issue a challan to that defaulter.
Gujarat Traffic Challan List
Here is a list of the Amended traffic fines by the Government of India and the reduced traffic fines by the State Government of Gujarat.
|Rule Violation||Amended Traffic Fines (On Sept 1, 2019) (In Rs.)||Reduced Traffic Fines by Gujarat Govt. (In Rs.)|
|Driving on the wrong side of the road||5000 for first-time offense & 10000 for repeating the offense||● 1500 for three-wheelers,● 3000 for lightweight vehicles● 5000 for heavyweight vehicles|
|Without License||5000||● 2000 for two-wheelers● 3000 for three and four-wheelers|
|More than 2 people on two-wheelers||1000||100|
|Unregistered Vehicle||5000||● 1000 for two-wheelers● 2000 for three-wheelers● 3000 for four-wheelers● 5000 for big vehicles like buses, trucks, etc.|
|Breaching pollution norms||10,000||● 1000 lightweight two-wheelers● 3000 for other vehicles|
|Not giving way to emergency vehicles||10,000||1000|
Unchanged Traffic Challans
The revised traffic challans in the state of Gujarat came into effect on September 16, 2019. However, several traffic fines remain the same. They are as follows:
|Rules Violation||Same Traffic Challans as per Amended Motor Vehicle Act. (In Rs.)|
|Talking on the phone while riding/driving||500 for first-time offense & 1000 for a subsequent offense|
|Minor driving registered vehicle||● 25,000 with 3 years prison sentence● Such minors cannot get a driving license until turn 25 years old.● Deregistration of the vehicle for one year|
|Drink & Drive||● 10,000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months● 15,000 and/or 2 years jail for repetitive violation.|
|Not following traffic signals||● 1000 to 5000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months to 1 year● Seizure of license|
If you get caught violating any Gujarat traffic rules then you will have to pay the fine as mentioned in the table above. Also, if you get caught violating any traffic rule by any traffic camera then you will receive and e-challan that will be sent to your registered home address or on to your mobile phone as well as email. Then you will have to pay the fine online.
How to Pay Challan Online?
Digitization has made everything easier. The speed sensors on the side of the roads and cameras installed on the traffic signals can spot any traffic rule violator, as well as traffic police, who can manage the traffic from their control room. If any camera spots you violating any traffic rule in Gujarat then you will be issued with an e-challan and have to pay the fine online. So, here are the steps you can follow to pay the fine online.
- Visit the e-challan parivahan website
- Enter your challan number, license number and vehicle number
- Add Captcha code
- Then click on the tab reading “Get Detail”
- On the new page, you will see the details related to your e-challan
- Click on the “Pay now” button
- Then proceed to the payment window
- Now choose your desired payment method.
- You can pay using a credit/debit card and net banking
- Once the payment is done, you will get a notification on your registered number.
- You are done
Traffic Rules to be Followed by Every Gujarat Vehicle Owner/Driver
All the vehicle owners/drivers in the state of Gujarat have to follow these traffic rules to avoid getting traffic challans.
- Every driver/owner has to carry these documents with them while driving/riding on the roads of Gujarat. They have to carry the hard as well as a soft copy of the documents.
- Wear helmet while riding a two-wheeler and wear your seatbelt while driving a four-wheelers. This will keep you safe physically as well as financially.
- Make sure that you do not jump red lights and follow the signal commands. Ride within the speed limit of the road.
- Never drink and drive as it can be deadly for you as well as the people on the road. If possible park your car nearby in a safe place and take a cab home.
- Using mobile can be deadly while riding a bike or driving a car as it distracts your mind and a fatal accident can take place.
- Cooperate with the traffic police in case they stop you anywhere on the road. Non-cooperation can lead you to bigger troubles and you can even end up in jail.
Following the traffic rules and decrease the number of accidents and you can also avoid getting a Gujarat traffic challan.
FAQs About Gujarat Traffic Fines
Ans: There is a fine of Rs. 2000 for riding a bike without a valid license.
Ans: One has to carry a valid license, pollution under control certificate, registration certificate, and third-party liability insurance policy.
Ans Yes, it is possible to pay for the challan online.
Ans: For not wearing a seatbelt and helmet in Gujarat, there is a fine of Rs. 500.
Ans: For drunk driving in Gujarat, there is a fine of 10,000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months
15,000 and/or 2 years jail for the repetitive violation.
Ans: The amended fine for not giving way to was 10,000 that was revised by the Gujarat government and now it is Rs. 1000 only.
Ans: There is a fine of Rs. 100 for overloading on two-wheelers.
Find similar car insurance quotes by body type
Car insurance articles
09 Jan 2023Yes, your comprehensive car insurance policy may cover the damages
03 Jan 2023As per the IRDAI guidelines, all motor insurance sectors including
09 Dec 2022Roadside Assistance is an add-on cover offered with your
06 Dec 2022No, any damage to the nut bolt or any other consumable of your
05 Dec 2022Third-party car insurance is a mandatory cover as per the motor