Engine Protection Cover
Purchasing third-party insurance is mandatory that protects the policyholder from third-party liability, however, comprehensive car insurance covers the expenses arising out of an accident, theft, total damage of the car due to man-made disasters like terrorism, vandalism, riots or acts of miscreants and natural disasters like cyclone, earthquake and floods, etc. This protective cover stops us from spending a lot of money out of our pocket.
What Is Engine Protection Cover
Engine protection cover is a legal contract between the insurer and the insured. It is an add-on that provides cover that the insured has to purchase separately and pay an extra amount in the premium. You can only purchase this add-on if you have a comprehensive car insurance policy.
Significance of Engine Protection Cover
An engine protection add-on will cover all the costs and offers a protective shield against the damages that occurred due to engine malfunction, lubricating oil leakage, ingression of water, hydrostatic lock, etc. With the Indian roads getting waterlogged at even the slightest spell of rain, the scenario of a car’s engine getting damaged is quite common these days. If you are in a rain-prone location in India, go for a car insurance that covers engine expenses or has add-on coverage for engine damage expenses.
You might be interested in
What does an Engine Protection Add-On Policy Include?
Engine protection add-on provides coverage for the following:
- Expenses against damages due to the leakage of the lubricating oil
- Expenses against damages caused due to ingression of water
- Expenses against damages due to gearbox malfunction
- Hydrostatic lock expenses – the lock when you try and retry to start a wet engine after a flood or water ingression. Cranking an engine that was submerged under the water may trigger ignition and might damage the engine. This will be treated as deliberately done damage to the engine and your claim request could be rejected.
What is not Included in the Engine Protection Add-On Coverage?
Despite the fact that you have a valid engine protection add-on cover, there are high chances that your car insurance claim will be rejected if you do either of the following before calling the insurance people and informing them about the damage to the engine:
- Try to force start your car when it is submerged under the water has a wet engine. The engine, in general, is designed to completely shut down and not let the water in, and trying to start the engine forcibly will let the water in and cause great damages leading to claim reject
- If you try to drive a car with a damaged bonnet, the lubricating oil might enter the engine. This scenario would come under deliberate damages/consequential damages. Since the damage is a consequence happening and not due to the accident, your insurance claim might not be validated.
- Add-ons come with limited validity. Only one claim per add-on is possible within the insurance policy period and for another claim to be made, one more add-on has to be purchased.
- This add-on is applicable for cars that are not more than 5 years old.
Who should Buy the Engine Protection Add-On Cover?
- People living in a flood-prone area or working near a water body
- People who own high-end cars for which the cost of damaged engine repairing would be way more than that of a normal car
- People who want to avoid all kinds of financial risks
How To Purchase Engine Protection Add-on?
You can purchase the add-on either while purchasing a comprehensive car insurance policy or while renewing it. Follow the steps given below to purchase an engine protection add-on while renewing the policy.
Step 1: Visit the official website of the insurer
Step 2: Fill in the policy number to access your account
Step 3: Look for the engine protection cover and add it to your existing plan
Step 4: Once you add the add-on, it will reflect in your premium amount.
Step 5: Now proceed to make the payment.
Step 6: You can make the payment using your debit/credit card, UPI, Net banking.
Step 7: Once you make the payment, the insurer will send you the updated document of your insurance plan on your registered email ID as well as your home address.
Explore add-ons for your car insurance
Q1: Who can purchase engine protection add-on cover?
Ans: a comprehensive car insurance policyholder can purchase engine protection add-on cover. You just have to pay an extra amount to get covered under this add-on.
Q2: How and when can I purchase an engine protection add-on cover?
Ans: You can only purchase this add-on cover either while purchasing the comprehensive car insurance plan or while renewing the plan.
Q3: What will be covered under the Engine protection add-on cover?
Ans: Engine protection add-on provides coverage for leakage of the lubricant oil, gearbox malfunction, ingression of water, etc.
Find similar car insurance quotes by body type
Car insurance articles
22 Mar 2023When an unanticipated road accident occurs, filing a car insurance
20 Mar 2023A car's ownership is usually transferred if the car is sold to a
16 Mar 2023Due to their diverse benefits such as lower fuel economy and low
15 Mar 2023With an aim to phase out unfit and polluting vehicles, the
28 Feb 2023Though rare, car insurance cancellations are pretty much evident