Personal Possessions Cover
Personal possessions cover is an add-on car insurance cover that compensates for any damage or loss of the personal possessions kept inside the car while it was parked in an authorized parking. Since it is an add-on cover, you will have to pay an extra nominal premium to get coverage for your personal possessions.
What is Personal Possessions Cover in Car Insurance?
Personal possessions cover is an add-on that only a comprehensive car insurance policyholder can purchase. The insurer will provide coverage for any loss or damage to any of your personal possessions kept inside the car as per the insured declared value of your car insurance policy.
For instance, your car got stolen from parking and it had your personal belongings such as your laptop and mobile inside. In such cases, purchasing the personal belonging cover will compensate you for the loss of your belongings as per the IDV of your car. If you will not purchase this cover, only the theft will be covered as per your standard comprehensive car insurance policy.
What is Not Covered Under Loss of Personal Belongings Cover?
Exclusions of personal belongings cover are listed below:
- Any incident that has been resulted due to the policyholder’s negligence
- Claims arising out of a borrowed property are not covered
- Personal belongings that are locked in a safety deposit box are also excluded from add-on coverage
- Personal belongings that the policyholder does not carry around
- Theft of any important documents are excluded
- If the incident was not reported to the police within 24 hours of the theft or finding out
- Loss due to climatic conditions, wear, and tear, mechanical and electrical failure, etc.
- Personal belongings that were being used by a third-party
- Personal belongings that are not mentioned in the police report
- Personal belongings that were left in the car overnight
- Loss of items due to a car accident is also not covered under the Loss of personal belongings cover. Only theft or burglary related claims are covered.
How to Raise a Claim Under a Loss of Personal Belongings Cover?
To raise a claim under loss of personal belonging in car insurance, the policyholder will be required to follow these steps:
- Inform the car insurance provider within 24 hours of you finding out about the theft.
- At the time of claim intimation, you need to furnish your personal details including your name, contact details, policy number, time and date of the theft, area of the incident.
- And a Police File report and its copy are a must.
To file a successful car theft claim you need to follow the process listed below. Please ensure that all the Information is provided in the stipulated time.
- File an FIR with the Police: It is a pre-requisite. As soon as you get to know about the theft, you must report the incident and register an FIR at the nearest police station. Without this, your car theft claim process will not be initiated.
- Call Your Motor Insurance Provider: Once you have filed an FIR report then you need to immediately call your insurance provider and inform them about your car theft. Every insurance provider follows its own process and has its own set of formalities for car theft claims. Again, make sure that there is no delay from your end.
- Inform the Transport Office: It is required as per the law to inform the Regional Transport Office about your car theft. You will need to transfer documents and papers from them. So, make sure that you remember to get this done.
- Gather All the Insurance Documents: Once you have followed the process, you need to gather all the required documents to authenticate the claim. Once all the documents are gathered, fill the car theft claim form (get it from an insurer or download it online) and submit all the requisite documents.
Add-ons for your car insurance
Documents Required for Personal Belongings Claim Settlement Process
You need to submit the documents listed below to your car insurance provider while settling your car theft insurance claim:
- Claim Form (duly signed and filled)
- Copy of the FIR report
- Police investigation report
- Invoice and receipts (as required)
Disclaimer: Policybazaar does not endorse, rate, or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
Why buy from Policybazaar Insurance Brokers Private Limited?
- 24x7 Claims Assistance: You can get 24*7 claim assistance service by contacting our customer support executives at 1800-208-8787..
- Cashless Assurance: Get a fast cashless repair facility at any of the network garages across India. In case of reimbursement, the claim amount will be paid within the next 48 hours of repairs. .
- 3-Day Repair Assurance: The insured car will be repaired at a trusted network garage and will be delivered back to you within 3 working days.
- Free Pickup & Drop: We also offer free pickup and drop facility during a claim process.
- Self Video Claims: Raising a car insurance claim can easily be done from the place of accident via the PB Claims App. Simply upload a video of your car and we get your claim settled without much hassle.
- Windshield Claims at Home: Get your car’s windshield repaired at home by calling our claim executives. One of our garage partners will replace the windshield at your home.
Car Insurance for Popular Brands in India
Roadside Assistance: FAQs
Q1: What if I lose some of the things kept inside the car overnight, will the insurer provide coverage for it?
Ans: No, the insurer will not provide coverage for the things lost that were kept overnight inside the car.
Q2 What if I fail to report a lost item and it is not mentioned in the police report, will I get coverage for it?
Ans: No, you will not get coverage for any item that you did not report to the police. Claims can only be made for items for which a non-traceable report has been issued by the Police.
Q3: Do the personal possessions cover come along with the comprehensive car insurance or have they to be purchased separately?
Ans: No, the personal possessions cover does not come along with comprehensive car insurance and the policyholder has to purchase it separately by paying an extra amount.
Ans: The items included under the Personal Belongings Cover depends from insurer to insurer. For a detailed list you can check the policy wordings of particular add-on cover. Moreover, the coverage offered under the loss of personal belongings in car insurance also depends from insurer to insurer.
Find similar car insurance quotes by body type
Note: This is your car’s recommended IDV as per IRDAI’s depreciation guidelines.asdfsad However, insurance companies allow you to modify this IDV within a certain range (this range varies from insurer to insurer). Higher the IDV, higher the premium you pay.
Car insurance articles
05 Aug 2022In India, car enthusiasts love to modify their cars with...
04 Aug 2022Every year, especially during the monsoon, many states of India...
03 Aug 2022There could be numerous reasons for opting for the traditional...
01 Aug 2022As a car owner, you must be aware of the fact that a car insurance...
26 Jul 2022National Insurance Company Limited is India's oldest and popular...