Rim Damage Cover
A rim damage cover offers an insured’s vehicle indemnity for any loss or damage to the wheel rims. This is a type of add-on that can be purchased at an additional premium along with a comprehensive car insurance policy.
What is Rim Damage Cover in Car Insurance?
In case any damage or loss is caused to an insured vehicle's wheel rims, a rim damage cover will offer reimbursement in case a rim or rims get physically damaged or warped. This can be caused as a result of a blowout or due to driving over kerbs, potholes or road debris. Many insurers have started offering this add-on to ensure the safety of a vehicle’s wheel rims.
This cover offers the cost of replacing the damaged wheel rim of the insured's vehicle up to a specific number of times. Usually, an insured vehicle can utilize this feature up to four times within the entire policy term. The optional cover will extend coverage to the damaged rims and offer a replacement with new wheel rims of a similar model, make and specifications.
You might be interested in
Does Insurance Cover Rim Damage?
Rim damage is usually not covered by most insurance plans. Most vehicles are prone to damaged rims due to the impact of road debris or driving over potholes so it is recommended to buy insurance with rim damage cover. This cover needs to be bought as an optional cover for which the policyholder must pay an additional premium.
Depending on the insurer, there may be a few special conditions that should be kept in mind before purchasing a cover:
- Many insurers offer this coverage only in vehicles fitted with Run Flat Tyres or Tubeless Tyres
- The number of times one may avail of the cover's benefits is usually restricted to 4 wheel rims during a policy period
- In case the insured replaces the wheel rim on their own, then they must inform the insurance company about the necessary details, including the identification number of the wheel rims
Rim Damage Cover: What is Covered & Not Covered?
The type of protection offered by a rim damage cover varies from one insurer to another. Given below are some general inclusions and exclusions under this add-on cover:
What is Covered?
Following are the benefits offered by this add-on:
- The add on cover for rim damage will cover the cost of replacing the damaged wheel rims with a near equivalent make
- Several insurers also include the cost of consumables as well as service or labour charges incurred during the replacement
What is Not Covered?
In case of the following, the insurer will not provide any indemnification:
- Any loss or damage occurring before the inception of the policy
- If the damage caused to tyres are of another type than tubeless tyres or run flat tyres
- Cost of non-damaged rims to match them
- Loss due to manufacturing defects that are covered under the manufacturer's warranty
- Damage caused due to modification or due to operating or periodic negligence
- Loss arising out of illegal activities
- Expenses incurred due to routine maintenance such as wheel balancing, tyre rotation, alignment etc.
- If the vehicle is not repaired at an authorized garage
- Damages resulting from poor workmanship during repair
- Minor damages that don't affect the functioning
Add-ons for your car insurance
Bundled Policy(1-year Own Damage + 3 Years Third Party Cover)
Car Accessories Cover
Daily Allowance Cover
Engine Protection Cover
Key Replacement Cover
Multi-Year Car Insurance
Personal Accident Cover
Personal Possessions Cover
Return To Invoice
Tyre Protector Cover
Voluntary Deductible in Car Insurance
Zero Depreciation Car Insurance
Rim Damage Cover: FAQs
Most car insurance policies don’t offer coverage for rim damage until an optional add-on is purchased. If the insured vehicle has also opted for a rim damage cover then the insurer will cover the replacement cost of up to 4 damaged wheel rims in one policy term.
No, this cover can be bought only as an optional cover along with a comprehensive car insurance policy.
This plan can be bought by any car owner who is buying comprehensive car insurance. They simply need to select this add-on and pay the extra premium. This can also be done through Policybazaar.com if planning to buy car insurance online.
It is important to contact the insurer as soon as possible and inform them of any damages that may have occurred to your rims. Some insurers require you to make claims within three working days of the damage, however, this time may vary depending on who the insurer is.
No, in events such as these or other cases of theft and vandalism, the policy will not offer any coverage.
Any car owner who is prone to wheel damage because of unavoidable poor road conditions can buy this add-on. Keep in mind that this cover is usually applicable on tubeless or run flat tyres only.
Find similar car insurance quotes by body type
Note: This is your car’s recommended IDV as per IRDAI’s depreciation guidelines.asdfsad However, insurance companies allow you to modify this IDV within a certain range (this range varies from insurer to insurer). Higher the IDV, higher the premium you pay.
Car insurance articles
28 Jan 2022Who doesn't like modifying their cars according to their desires...
25 Jan 2022Buying at least a third-party four-wheeler insurance cover is...
24 Jan 2022No one would ever want to get their car insurance claims rejected...
21 Jan 2022Having valid motor insurance is a mandatory requirement for every...
19 Jan 2022Planning to buy a Tata AIG car insurance policy but worried about...