How to Find Car Insurance Details by Registration Number?
As a car owner, it is mandatory to have a car insurance policy under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Sometimes, you may face situations when you need car insurance details but do not have access to insurance papers. In such situations, you can easily find car insurance policy details with the help of a car registration number. Let's read the article to know more about it.
What is a Car Registration Number?
A car registration number is a unique number issued to a car by the RTO of your district. When you buy a car, it is obligatory to register it within 30 days from the date of buying at the nearest RTO. Then, the respective RTO will allot a unique number to the car that will become its identity.
A vehicle registration number is a 10-digit number. In this number, the first two digits imply the state from where the car is registered, the next two digits mean the district code, and the remaining four digits are the unique identification number. If a unique number is not available, then one or more letters are added before it to make it unique.
Let's say if the car registration number is UK 04 AA 9596, UK stands for Uttarakhand, 04 refers to the district of the state to which the car belongs to i.e. Nainital, and 9596 is the unique identification number of the vehicle. AA is the additional letters added to make the number 9596 unique.
You are required to have a registration number to buy car insurance policy. Once you have purchased it, a car insurance policy number is provided by the insurer.
You May Also Read: How to Transfer Old Car Registration Number to New Car
Importance of a Car Insurance Policy Number
Below are some of the reasons why a car insurance policy number is of extreme importance:
- For Raising Claims - An insurer will ask for a car insurance policy number when you are raising a claim. Even when you have to file an FIR in the case of an accident or theft claim, the police might ask for the insurance policy number.
- At the Time of Policy Renewal - For the renewal of car insurance policy, you will needthe policy number. You will also need this number for transferring the existing NCB to the new policy.
- For Verification of Car Details - When the traffic police stop your car during random checks and ask to see your car insurance policy, then you can either show your policy document or share your policy number for them to cross-check its validity.
- To Apply for Duplicate Car Insurance Policy Documents - If you have lost the original copy of your motor insurance policy, you can apply for a duplicate one with the help of the policy number.
Ways to Find Car Insurance Details by Registration Number
If you have forgotten the car insurance policy number or lost your policy document, then you can easily find vehicle insurance details by registration number. Your car insurance policy is linked with the car registration number and hence, you can check insurance details with its help. Here are some of the ways to find car insurance details by registration number-
Use the following methods to find car insurance policy number online with the help of its registration number-
Check Car Insurance Policy Details Via IIB
IRDAI has launched the insurance data depository known as the Insurance Information Bureau (IIB). You can access the official website of IIB to check car insurance details by registration number. Here are some of the steps that you need to follow-
- Visit the official website of IIB
- Click on ‘V-Seva’ under 'Quick Links' and you will be redirected to the ‘Accident Vehicle Information Retrieval System’
- Fill in the name and address of the vehicle owner
- Enter the registration number of the car
- Fill in the mobile no. and the registered email id of the car owner
- Add the place and date of the accident (if needed)
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button
- You will be able to retrieve all the information related to your car.
Check Car Insurance Policy Details Via VAHAN
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways also holds the details of a motor insurance policy. All you need to do is enter your car registration number to get access to car insurance policy information. Follow the below steps to access the insurance details of the vehicle by registration number from the VAHAN portal-
- Visit the official website of VAHAN e-services and go to the tab ‘Know Your Vehicle Details’
- Enter a mobile number to log into an account or create an account
- Fill in the details like the registration number of the car and enter the verification code
- Click on the 'Search Vehicle' option and all details related to the car insurance policy will appear on screen
Check Car Insurance Policy Via Car Insurer's Website
By visiting the official website of the insurer, you can check the car insurance policy number. You just need to log in to your account to access all the details of your car insurance policy.
You May Also Read: Check Car Insurance Status Online on Parivahan Sewa
There are two methods for accessing car insurance policy information offline. Either you can call the insurance company or visit the respective RTO office to avail the information.
Car insurance is essential to keep vehicles financially protected and abide by the law. This makes it important to renew car insurance policy on time. If you wish to know the policy end date and do not have policy details, you can use the car registration number to get car insurance details.
- Transferring Car Insurance from One Person to Another
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 19 January 2022 -
- 267977 Views
Transferring Car Insurance from One Person to Another In the current economic climate that encourages consumers to “reduce, reuse and recycle”, it is becoming increasingly common for people to purchase second-hand...read more
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 29 July 2021 -
- 216595 Views
9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You Due to the dangerous driving conditions, it is compulsory to have third party insurance for every vehicle plying on Indian roads. It ensures the overall saf...read more
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 27 August 2021 -
- 201934 Views
Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners After a dream home, a dream car is your second-largest purchase that you make in your lifetime. But the expense does not cease when you drive off the car dealer's lot. Read mor...read more
- Difference Between Comprehensive Insurance and Third Party Insurance
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 26 October 2021 -
- 167142 Views
Difference Between Comprehensive Insurance and Third Party Insurance Comprehensive insurance is insurance coverage that pays for the repair or replacement of vehicle damages resulting from an incident. Comprehensive ca...read more
- Types of Motor Insurance
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 26 June 2021 -
- 121129 Views
Types of Motor Insurance The word Motor broadly covers a lot of classes of vehicles plying on the roads. These may be two-wheelers like scooters and motorbikes, three-wheelers or four wheelers like private cars, jeeps, ...read more
Find similar car insurance quotes by body type
Note: This is your car’s recommended IDV as per IRDAI’s depreciation guidelines.asdfsad However, insurance companies allow you to modify this IDV within a certain range (this range varies from insurer to insurer). Higher the IDV, higher the premium you pay.
Car insurance articles
28 Jan 2022Who doesn't like modifying their cars according to their desires...
25 Jan 2022Buying at least a third-party four-wheeler insurance cover is...
24 Jan 2022No one would ever want to get their car insurance claims rejected...
21 Jan 2022Having valid motor insurance is a mandatory requirement for every...
19 Jan 2022Planning to buy a Tata AIG car insurance policy but worried about...