- Save up to 80%*
- Compare 20+ insurers
- 25 lakh+ vehicles insured
Comprehensive and Third-Party Car Insurance Explained
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 81313 -
When it comes to buying insurance for your car, you are supposed to consider plenty of important factors. One of these factors is the type of insurance coverage you are looking for your car. People tend to confuse between a comprehensive insurance policy and a third party insurance policy when looking for car insurance. This article will help you to understand the basic difference between both these car insurance policies:
What is a Comprehensive Car Insurance Plan?
A comprehensive car insurance plan offers complete protection against the damages to your car due to an accident or a road-mishap. This plan is called a comprehensive plan because it provides coverage for the damages to your car, third-party legal liability, theft, along with the personal accident coverage. The coverage can be boosted by selecting additional covers, such as engine protector, accessories cover, medical expenses, zero depreciation cover, etc. This cover is widely popular, as it offers full-fledged coverage and it leaves the policyholder stress-free.
A comprehensive car insurance plan includes coverage for fire, theft, natural and man-made catastrophes, such as a tornado, hurricane vandalism, damage caused to your vehicle by animals, falling objects, civil disturbance, such as a riot that causes damages to your car.
The Benefits of Purchasing a Comprehensive Car Insurance Plan
A comprehensive car insurance plan safeguards the insured vehicle against the following:
- Glass damage like as a damaged windshield
- Damages caused by a bird or an animal
- Damage caused by falling objects, missiles etc.
- Damages caused by a natural disaster like a wind storm, hail storm, tornado, hurricane, etc.
- Third-party liability
Without a comprehensive insurance plan, a claim can’t be filed if your car is damaged and the reason isn’t a road mishap.
|You may like to Read: What is Comprehensive Car Insurance|
Comprehensive Car Insurance Plan Exclusions
Here are the factors that are excluded from the coverage of a comprehensive insurance plan:
- Wear and tear and aging of the automobile
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Damages caused to tubes and tyres. In case the vehicle has got its tubes and tyres damaged because of an accident, then the liability of the insurance provider would be restricted to 50 percent of the total replacement charges.
- Damages caused by a driver driving without a valid driving license.
- Damages caused due to driving under the influence of intoxicants.
- Any loss or damage due to mutiny war, or a nuclear attack
Third-Party Car Insurance Plan
A third-party car insurance plan provides coverage against any legal liability arising out of injuries to a third-party when the policyholder is at fault. It covers damages and injuries caused by the insured vehicle, to a third-party person or property. As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is mandatory for every motor vehicle owner to buy at least third-party insurance coverage in India.
Benefits of Purchasing a Third-Party Car Insurance Plan
A third-party car insurance plan covers a vehicle’s owner against any legal liability, including death or bodily injury to a third party or damage to their property with the involvement of the insured vehicle. As per the Motor Vehicle Act, a third-party claim can be filed under the category of "no fault liability claims" in which the claimant is not obligatory to allege or prove the negligence on the part of the involved vehicle that has caused the accident or "fault liability claims".
Third-Party Car Insurance Plan Exclusions
A third-party car insurance plan doesn’t provide coverage for the cost of damage caused to any automobile or any belongings in the automobile if there is any accident. Along with that, it won’t provide coverage to your car or if you belongings are damaged or stolen.
Difference between a Third-Party Cover and Comprehensive Cover
The pros and cons of these two kinds of car insurance plans depend on many elements. It is crucial to understand these factors so that you can analyze, compare, and then make a wise decision.
1. The Value of a Car
In case the value of your vehicle is low, it’s recommended to buy third-party insurance only, as the repairs to the damages could be managed very easily. It is economical to pay the repair bills as compared to paying for the high premium of a comprehensive insurance cover.
On the other hand, if your car is new and expensive, it is recommended to buy comprehensive insurance coverage.
A third-party insurance plan provides coverage against the damages to any third-party vehicle and bodily injuries caused to any third party due to an accident. There are a few insurance providers that charge a little extra for third-party coverage. It doesn’t provide any coverage against the damages caused to your own vehicle.
In case you’re seeking coverage for your vehicle, you should buy a comprehensive car insurance plan. It offers a wide coverage, as it includes third-party liability as well. A comprehensive plan is expensive as compared to a third-party insurance plan, as it offers broader coverage.
A comprehensive plan is expensive as compared to a third-party plan because it offers coverage for injuries, damages, and theft.
It is good to be safe than sorry. A road mishap is unfortunate and it can wash out your savings in one go. There can be minor variations when it comes to the exclusions and benefits, as it varies insurer to insurer. If you want the peace of mind and the right insurance coverage for your vehicle at the same time, then you should buy a comprehensive car insurance plan since it will fulfill all your insurance expectations.
- Most Read
- Getting Your Duplicate Car Insurance Policy is Easy-Here’s How!
Date: 20 June 2019
- Car Insurance Add on Covers that are Crucial
Date: 12 June 2019
- Role of Return to Invoice Cover in Car Insurance!
Date: 07 June 2019
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care Number
Date: 07 June 2019
- How to Download TATA AIG Car Insurance Policy and Claim Form
Date: 04 June 2019
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 326695
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 267088
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 239413
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 203082
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 195041
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator