Comprehensive Car Insurance
Everyone aspires to own a car. Lucky are the people who are able to purchase the car of their dreams. While for most people it is a comfortable upgrade from a two wheeler, it is a status symbol for a certain section of people. Besides, you may have spent a fortune buying your car or may have an emotional attachment with it. No matter what is your reason for owning a car, everyone must protect their car from all sorts of adversities. When it comes to protecting your car, there is no better way than getting it insured under a comprehensive car insurance policy.
What is Comprehensive Car Insurance?
Comprehensive Car Insurance is a type of insurance for private cars that provides all-round protection to the vehicle from all kinds of risks, such as accidents, theft, third party liabilities, natural calamities, etc. It helps to repair or replace your car in case any unpredictable mishap occurs resulting in its loss or damage. With this insurance, you will be entitled to receive financial aid from your motor insurance company to get your car repaired or replaced in case of a partial or total loss of your car.
Comprehensive insurance coverage for a car includes both own damages as well as third party liabilities. That’s not all. This type of insurance also offers personal accident cover to the owner-driver of the car in case he/ she gets injured in a car accident.
What is Covered Under Comprehensive Car Insurance?
A comprehensive insurance policy provides extensive coverage to your car from a variety of adversities. Take a look at the list of covers available under comprehensive car insurance:
- Accidental Damages – If your car suffers from any loss or damages following an accident, this car insurance plan will cover it for you.
- Fire Damages – In case your car catches fire, this insurance plan will cover any loss or damages resulting out of it.
- Car Thefts – If your car gets stolen, unfortunately, your motor insurer will replace it with a new one if you have a comprehensive car insurance policy.
- Damages Due to Natural Calamities – In case a natural calamity strikes your neighbourhood damaging your car partially or completely, then this insurance will cover the damages or losses incurred. Natural calamities include cyclones, floods, earthquakes, landslides, etc.
- Third Party Loss – This car insurance will cover any third party damages or losses caused by your car, including property damages, bodily injuries or death of a third party person.
- Damages Due to Manmade Hazards – If your car gets totally or partially damaged following a manmade hazard, your car insurance policy will cover the damages or losses incurred. Manmade hazards include strikes, terrorist activities, riots, etc.
- Vandalism – If your car gets damaged or suffers from total loss due to vandalism, this policy will pay for the repairs or losses incurred.
- In-transit Car Damages – In case your car gets damaged while being transported via land, water or air, your motor insurer will pay for its repairs.
- Personal Accidental Injuries or Death – A comprehensive insurance policy not only covers the car from any damages or losses but also provides coverage to its owner-driver in case he gets injured or dies in a car accident.
Add-On Covers to Customize a Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy
A comprehensive insurance policy can be customized to increase the level of protection for your car with the help of add-on covers. An add-on cover refers to additional or extra coverage for your car that you need to purchase by paying an additional premium price.
Here are some of the most common add-on covers that motor companies offer in India:
- Zero Depreciation Cover – This cover enables you to avoid paying for the depreciating value of your car at the time of claim settlements. It is available only for cars that are less than five years old.
- Tyre Protect Cover – With this cover, the tyres of your car will be protected from any loss or damages under all non-accidental situations and not just during an accident.
- Return to Invoice – This cover allows you to get an insured declared value equal to the purchase price of the car, instead of the car’s current market value, in case of total loss claims. This cover is ideal for people who’ve just bought a new car.
- Breakdown Assistance Cover – With this cover, you will be able to access roadside or breakdown assistance from your motor insurer, in case you get stuck in the middle of the road due to flat tyre, empty fuel tank, loss of keys, etc.
- Consumable Cover – This cover ensures that all the consumables used in your car, such as washers, nuts, coolant, bolts, engine oil, etc are covered under your comprehensive car insurance policy.
- Engine & Gearbox Protection – With this cover, the cost of repairing or replacing your engine and gearbox of your car will be covered in all situations and not just under a car accident.
- Conveyance Benefit – This cover makes you eligible to receive a daily conveyance allowance from your insurer to commute by other means of transport while your car is getting repaired at a garage.
- Key Replacement Cover – With this cover, you will be able to get the replacement keys of your car at the earliest in case you have lost its original keys.
- No Claim Bonus Protection – This cover protects your No Claim Bonus or NCB under all circumstances and allows you to move to the next NCB slab even if you raise a claim during your policy term.
- Passenger Cover – With this cover, your comprehensive insurance policy will not only cover you in case your car meets with an accident but also protect the passengers riding in your car.
What is Not Covered Under Comprehensive Car Insurance?
A comprehensive insurance policy provides maximum possible coverage to your car. However, not everything is covered by comprehensive car insurance. Take a look at what is excluded under a comprehensive insurance policy:
- Drunk Driving – It does not cover any damages or losses incurred if you are caught driving the car under the influence of alcohol.
- Depreciation – If the value of your car gets depreciated, this insurance will not compensate for it.
- Contributory Negligence – It does not cover any loss or damages to your car due to contributory negligence on your part. For example, taking your car near the low-rise areas despite a cyclone warning.
- Electrical & Mechanical Breakdown – If your car suffers from an electrical or mechanical breakdown, then you will have to pay for the resultant expenses on your own.
- Driving Without a License – It does not cover any damages or losses incurred if you are found driving the car without a valid driving license.
- Normal Wear & Tear – In case you suffer any loss or damages due to the regular wear and tear of your car, then you will have to pay for them on your own.
- Consequential Damages – It does not cover any consequential loss or damages suffered by your car. For example, damage to the tyres while the car is being towed.
- Non-Accidental Damages to Tyre/ Tube – It does not cover any loss or damages to the tyre or tube of your car which is not a direct result of a car accident.
- Driving Without Valid License Holder – If you have a learner’s license and are found driving the car without a valid driving license holder, then you will have to pay for the resultant damages or losses on your own.
- War or Nuclear Perils – It does not cover any loss or damages caused to your car as a result of war, war-like operations, nuclear weapon or other related perils.
Benefits of Comprehensive Car Insurance
When driving a car, you and your vehicle are vulnerable to a variety of risks. While you may be confident about your driving skills, it is always better to stay protected from any risks that other people or nature poses to your car. Besides, third party car insurance only provides only half the protection, keeping your car exposed to other kinds of risks. To understand better, take a look at the benefits of a comprehensive car insurance policy:
- Provides Total Protection – Comprehensive car insurance provides total protection to your car by covering both third party damages as well as own damages arising out of accidents, theft, fire, etc.
- No Need for Separate Third Party Cover – Since a comprehensive insurance policy covers third party liabilities, you don’t need to purchase the compulsory third party cover separately.
- Saves Money – It helps to save money as you get the coverage for both own damages and third party damages under one policy. You are not required to buy two separate policies and thus, end up saving money.
- Stress-Free Travel – With comprehensive insurance coverage, you can drive your car without any worries. It keeps you safe from all kinds of adversities allowing you to enjoy your travel to the fullest.
Who Should Buy Comprehensive Car Insurance?
If you are wondering comprehensive car insurance is suitable for you or not, following is a list of people you must buy a comprehensive insurance policy for their car:
- New Car Owners – Buying a car involves a major financial investment, which makes it important to save your newly-bought possession from all kinds of dangers. Thus, new car owners should buy a comprehensive policy for their car.
- Road Trippers – If you are a road tripper who likes to travel to different places and cities by driving his car, a comprehensive policy is what you need. It will protect you and your car from any emergencies and will also give you the option to buy roadside assistance cover as an add-on.
- Residents of Metropolitan Cities – If you live in a big city, you must have comprehensive insurance for your car as metro cities pose greater risks due to never-ending traffic, pollution and frequent accidents as compared to smaller cities.
- Residents of High-Risk Areas – Some places are more prone to accidents or dangers as compared to others. For example, landslides are common in mountainous areas. Thus, people staying in such areas should have a comprehensive policy to keep their cars safe.
- Fancy Car Owners – Owning a fancy car, such as a BMW or Porsche, not only boosts your self-esteem but also makes you an easy target for theft. If your fancy car gets stolen or is damaged in an accident, you will suffer a bigger loss than people with regular cars. Thus, you must keep your prized possession protected under a comprehensive car insurance policy.
- Clumsy Drivers – If you are one of those clumsy drivers who attract trouble and are prone to accidents, comprehensive car insurance is your saving grace as it will take care of any damages or losses incurred.
- Paranoid Car Owners – If you happen to be someone who is overprotective about his car and gets paranoid even with a slight scratch, you should get your comprehensive insurance for your car. It will provide you with the much-needed peace of mind while taking your car around.
Why Should You Buy a Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy?
There are several reasons why you should consider buying a comprehensive insurance policy for your car. Take a look below:
- Fulfils the Legal Requirements – Comprehensive insurance coverage includes third party liabilities cover, which is mandatory by the law for all car owners. Thus, if you buy this policy, you abide by the motor laws of India.
- Get Own Damage Coverage – If you buy comprehensive insurance for your car, you stay covered for any loss or damages sustained by your car and not just for third party claims.
- Cashless Repairs – Under this insurance, you can access a wide network of approved garages where you can receive cashless repair services for your car. The bill is paid directly by your motor insurer if the damaged car is taken to a network garage.
- Add-On Covers – A comprehensive car insurance policy offers a wide range of add-on covers to its customers that are not available under a third party cover. These covers, such as NCB protection, zero depreciation, breakdown assistance, etc. can be used to extend the protection level.
- Claim Assistance Services – Most motor insurers provide claim assistance services to its customers allowing you to immediately raise a claim as soon as you face an emergency.
Comprehensive Car Insurance for an Old Car
Comprehensive car insurance covers all types of car, whether old or new. While it is a must for new cars, you can also get your old car insured under the comprehensive insurance policy if you still use it. However, you must also consider the age of your old car as well as how long do you plan to continue using it before deciding on buying comprehensive insurance coverage.
For example, let’s say you have an 11 years old car that you use regularly and plan to use until the next four years. In this case, buying comprehensive car insurance would a good decision and not an expensive one. This is because older cars have lower market value and hence, get insured for a lower premium amount.
Should You Upgrade to a Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy?
If you want to see your car safe from any kind of loss or damages then you must upgrade your third party insurance to a comprehensive car insurance policy. A lot of people skip buying comprehensive insurance and only purchase compulsory third party car insurance to keep their premiums low. They don’t realise that even a small accident can result in major financial losses as they will have to pay for the repairs on their own. But if you buy a comprehensive insurance policy for your car, any mishap involving your car will be covered by your insurance company and you won’t be required to pay a single penny. That’s a smarter financial choice, isn’t it?.
How to Buy Comprehensive Car Insurance Online?
If you wish to buy comprehensive insurance for your car online, follow the steps given below:
- Go to the car insurance category under motor insurance
- Select the option of buying car insurance
- Enter the details of your car, such as manufacturing year, make & model of the car, fuel variant, etc.
- Provide your contact details, including your name and email id
- Choose the suitable comprehensive insurance plan
- Select the add-on covers that you want
- Pay the final premium amount online
- The comprehensive car insurance will be issued and policy details will be sent to your email id
In a Nutshell
Comprehensive car insurance is a blessing for all car owners that saves them from any monetary losses in case their cars get damaged in a mishap. It is the perfect solution to all your car safety woes and allows you to enjoy taking your car around. Don’t wait up and upgrade your car insurance to a comprehensive policy today.
- Transferring Car Insurance from One Person to Another
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 18 June 2021 -
- 240915 Views
Transferring Car Insurance from One Person to Another In the current economic climate that encourages consumers to “reduce, reuse and recycle”, it is becoming increasingly common for people to purchase second-hand...read more
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 10 June 2020 -
- 214080 Views
9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You Due to the dangerous driving conditions, it is compulsory to have third party insurance for every vehicle plying on Indian roads. It ensures the overall sa...read more
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 25 January 2021 -
- 200728 Views
Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners After a dream home, a dream car is your second-largest purchase that you make in your lifetime. But the expense does not cease when you drive off the car dealer's lot. Owning an...read more
- Difference Between Comprehensive Insurance and Third Party Insurance
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 18 June 2021 -
- 163131 Views
Difference Between Comprehensive Insurance and Third Party Insurance Comprehensive insurance is insurance coverage that pays for the repair or replacement of vehicle damages resulting from an incident. Comprehensive c...read more
- Types of Motor Insurance
- By PolicyBazaar -
Updated: 09 February 2021 -
- 117538 Views
Types of Motor Insurance The word Motor broadly covers a lot of classes of vehicles plying on the roads. These may be two-wheelers like scooters and motorbikes, three-wheelers or four wheelers like private cars, jeeps...read more
Note: This is your car’s recommended IDV as per IRDAI’s depreciation guidelines.asdfsad However, insurance companies allow you to modify this IDV within a certain range (this range varies from insurer to insurer). Higher the IDV, higher the premium you pay.Read More