- Save up to 80%*
- Compare 20+ insurers
- 25 lakh+ vehicles insured
What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 267086 -
Mr. Kamal Shah got furious as he had to spend Rs 30,000 from his pocket towards repairing of the car. The comprehensive car insurance, which he bought last year, only reimbursed Rs 70,000 after factoring in depreciation. Kamal could have saved Rs 30,000 if he had opted for a zero depreciation car insurance cover.
At the time of claim, insurer factors in depreciation value of the vehicle to calculate the amount payable. The difference between the market value of the new part and the depreciated part has to be paid by the insured.
So opt for a zero depreciation cover to protect yourself from paying high costs at the time of claim settlement.
What is Zero Depreciation Cover?
Zero depreciation cover, also called ‘zero dep’ policy, offers complete coverage without factoring in depreciation. It means, if your car gets damaged following a collision, you will receive the entire cost from the insurer.
Zero Depreciation Cover Vs Normal Car Cover
Let’s find out what differentiates zero depreciation cover from standard insurance policy-
Zero Depreciation Cover
Normal Car Insurance
Offers full settlement coverage and depreciation will not make a dent
Claim amount is based on the current value of the vehicle, which factors in depreciation
Cost of repairing and plastic fiber
Insurer bears the cost
Insured has to shell out money
Age of the car
Usually covers only new cars
It can be taken for a car which is more than 3 years old
Factors to Consider Before Opting for Zero Depreciation Cover
Before you opt for the zero depreciation, it is worthwhile to ponder over below factors-
- Cost-A car insurance policy that comes loaded with zero depreciation cover costs more. Because it offers complete coverage without considering depreciation so it charges slightly higher premium than comprehensive policy.
- Number of claims- Usually, insurers limit the number of car insurance claims one can make in a year. It is done to deter policyholders from filing a claim for every single dent. Check the number of claims your insurer provides and make sure to approach the insurer only when the amount is big.
- Available for new cars- Zero depreciation rider is available only for new cars. From a customer point of view, it is also not very cost-effective to shell-out high premiums on a car which is more than 5 years old.
Who Should Buy Zero Depreciation Cover?
If your car is brand new, it is recommended to opt for a zero deprecation cover to protect it from all threats and damages. Many opine that it should only be bought by new drivers who are more prone to accidents. However, even the most experienced drivers get involved in accidents due to the fault of other vehicle’s driver. Hence zero depreciation cover is a must buy for all car owners.
- Most Read
- Getting Your Duplicate Car Insurance Policy is Easy-Here’s How!
Date: 20 June 2019
- Car Insurance Add on Covers that are Crucial
Date: 12 June 2019
- Role of Return to Invoice Cover in Car Insurance!
Date: 07 June 2019
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care Number
Date: 07 June 2019
- How to Download TATA AIG Car Insurance Policy and Claim Form
Date: 04 June 2019
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 326691
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 267086
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 239411
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 203082
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 195040
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator