- 3500+ Cashless Garages across India
- 50 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 24X7 Roadside Assistance
- 100% Insurance Coverage on Service Invoice Price
We promise limited calls
Car Insurance Claim Process - A Step By Step Guide For Claims
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 3720 -
Modified 16 November 2016
Motor insurance is compulsory in India. It is one of the most purchased insurance products. This is because a growing percentage of the Indian population is buying their own vehicles these days. As a result, motor insurance claims have also gone up. But many a time, the policyholders do not know exactly what they can do to get their car insurance claim. If you too want to know about the procedures, take a look at the claims processes explained below.
Car insurance claim for damages to your own car
- First and foremost, as the policyholder, you will have to submit a duly filled in claim form along with the requisite documents to the insurance company and inform the insurance company before you send the car to the garage for any repairs. The forms are available on the insurers’ websites as well as at their offices.
- The insurance company will send a surveyor to assess the damages. The surveyor will prepare a report and pass it on to the insurer and you will also receive a copy.
- If the damage is severe and requires immediate attention, then the surveyor will reach the spot of the accident at the earliest.
- Based on the surveyor’s report, you can arrange for your car to be repaired.
- After the work is completed, you will have to take the duly signed bills and documents from the garage and submit them to surveyor, who in turn will send it to the insurance company.
- If all the documents are in place, the insurance provider will reimburse your bills.
Remember that the insurance company will not reimburse your bills if you do not submit them immediately after your car is released from the garage. So you cannot keep the small bills and hope to submit them at the end of the year.
Car insurance claim process for a third party claim
- If a third party has sent you a legal notice asking for a claim, do not communicate with the party before informing your insurance company. Also remember not to make any financial commitments or out-of-court settlements before speaking to your insurer first.
- Submit a copy of the notice to your insurer.
- You will also have to submit copies of the RC book of the car, the driving licence and the FIR.
- The insurer will verify the documents and assess the accident and if found satisfactory, you will get a lawyer appointed by them.
- If the court directs you to pay the damages to the third party thereafter, the insurance company will directly pay the dues to the third party.
Car insurance claim process for a stolen car
- First of all, file a complaint with the police and lodge an FIR.
- Submit a copy of the FIR to the insurance company.
- Once you receive the final police report, make a copy of it and submit it to your insurance provider.
- The insurance company will assign an investigator. Cooperate with the investigator.
- Wait for the claim to be approved.
- Once that is done, submit the RC book of your stolen car to the insurance company. The name of the owner will then be changed to the insurer’s name.
- Submit the duplicate keys of the car and also a subrogation letter. You will also need to submit a notarized indemnity on a stamp paper.
- Once all the formalities are completed, the insurance company will disburse the claim.
It is very important to be well informed about the formalities related to making a car insurance claim. Whether you need to make a small claim due to a minor accident or a major claim due to the theft of your car, knowing the procedures will make the job a lot simpler for you.
All insurance providers these days have a very good customer support network and so you must communicate with your insurer whenever there is a need. If you have any doubts regarding the claims, get them sorted beforehand so that your claim process goes smoothly at the time of a need.
Keep the points mentioned above in mind and your job of filing and receiving a car insurance claim will become a lot simpler.
- Most Read
- Overview of Oriental Car Insurance Policy
Date: 19 January 2018
- Know How Reliance General Two-Wheeler Insurance Defends Your Two-wheeler!
Date: 19 January 2018
- Does Your Sports Car Need Auto Insurance?
Date: 15 January 2018
- How to Avoid Being Fooled at the Time of Buying Bike Insurance
Date: 15 January 2018
- Here’s How You can Shop for an Affordable Car Insurance Plan
Date: 10 January 2018
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 225605
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 148361
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 142564
- Renew Your Two Wheeler Break-in Insurance Policy at PolicyBazaar
Views : 124884
- Two Wheeler Insurance Plans
Views : 98815