The intent of the Own damage or Stand-alone OD car insurance policy is to help the policyholder cover losses suffered by their car. The damages that are covered by this type of policy are as below:
1. Accidental damages: Any sudden, external and unforeseen or accidental event or impact that can cause injury or harm to the car is deemed as accidental damage.
2. Burglary & Theft: In case the car is destroyed as a result of a break-in or the damage done to the car is due to a burglary attempt, the damage will be covered by standalone OD car insurance.
3. Total Loss: It refers to the complete loss of a car due to far-reaching and immutable damage or theft of the car. The own-damage car insurance covers the total loss of a car and compensates for this sort of damage.
4. Fire & Explosions: Fires caused due to an accident or explosions that lead to damage of a car as a result of these fires are covered under the own-damage insurance policy.
5. Natural calamities: At times a car may face damages due to flood water, hailstorms, cyclones, and other natural calamities. Moreover, if the car suffers damage due to rocks and debris from earthquakes, landslides or rockslides, etc. At such junctures, the OD cover will protect the insured from all losses.
6. Transit of vehicles: If a car receives dents and scratches due to commotion during its transportation by road, rail, air or waterways, etc. the OD policy coverage protects the car.
7. Malicious Damage: The OD car insurance cover also comes into play if an insured car suffers losses occurring from human causes such as riots, terror attacks, vandalism, etc.
As per a directive of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), the standalone OD car insurance has been available as a separate cover since September 01, 2019. The directive allows car owners who have purchased their car insurance post-September 01, 2018, to get standalone car insurance for Own-damage, while the basic 3-year third-party insurance remains mandatory.
29 Nov 2023Considering the population of rats in our country, it is common to
29 Sep 2023The concept of Own Damage(OD) is not a new one. For those of us
29 Sep 2023Filing a motor insurance claim can be a complex process, and
29 Sep 2023To continue receiving coverage benefits, it's necessary to renew
20 Sep 2023Having third-party car insurance is mandatory as per the motor