Traveling is always fun, and with all this fun, comes an element of uncertainty and risk. Every time you travel, you just think of happy and fun moments ahead. To enjoy every moment peacefully on your domestic trip, business trip or holidays with your family or loved ones, you must ensure buying domestic travel insurance.
Most people buy travel insurance when traveling abroad, but tend to ignore it when traveling within India. It's necessary to invest in a comprehensive domestic travel insurance plan to eliminate all financial risks and unwarranted medical expenses. Travel insurance policy will help you ensure a pleasant and relaxing journey and stay safe against all adversaries when traveling in your home country. Traveling within India involves various risks for any traveler. Contingencies do not come with a prior notice and your journey, whether abroad or within India, does entail potential risks.
Domestic travel insurance covers medical emergencies, accidents, flight delays, cancellation, damage or loss of baggage, etc. Domestic Medical Travel Insurance comes packed with the assurance that you won't have to spend a fortune for medical treatment and hospitalization expenses in order to manage and cope with unforeseen hassles. With this assurance, comes peace of mind and a feeling of security, especially when you're flying to an exotic domestic travel destination.
Any Indian travelling within the country is eligible to buy travel insurance. Any national from another country, traveling in India or working with a permit in India can also buy this travel plan. Some of the major providers of travel insurance policies in India are Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance, Tata AIG Travel Insurance and many more.
The eligibility age is usually between 18 to 65 years and varies from plan to plan. The coverage provided by the insurer depends upon numerous factors such as you're the destination you are travelling to, medical conditions, the duration of your trip and many more.
Buying the best domestic travel insurance in India is certainly a necessity; because all the while you travel you are surrounded by risk and uncertainties.
Majorly all the insurers provide a medical or accident cover, cancellation or delay cover, and lost or damaged baggage cover. These travel insurance covers are useful especially when your flight is unduly delayed due to any reasons or when you are travelling with valuable or expensive assets in your baggage.
There are also various covers, such as covers for that particular trip, family covers, or frequent business covers available in the market Let us look at some commonly provided covers under domestic travel insurance:
This cover helps to deal with the expenses incurred due to medical emergencies or accident during the trip. This cover is extremely beneficial; especially if you do not have a medical cover or have one, but with a limited cover.
From unpredictable weather conditions to technical glitches, there can be numerous reasons for a flight delay. Along with being troublesome, it can also cause additional burden on your shoulders due to a missed connecting flight. In such circumstances, the insurer covers you against the expenses incurred due to the delay or cancellation.
Although most of the airlines have policies to provide compensation for the lost baggage, still the loss of baggage in transit is a fear of every traveler. In such circumstances, lost baggage cover under this travel insurance, gives you peace of mind and a feeling of security. It goes some way in ensuring that at least the cost of your belongings is recovered; if not value.
This is a newly introduced cover that is not offered by many but some insurers. It provides coverage against accidental damage to a third party's property and is your liability. This type of cover is especially beneficial if you are travelling with kids.
Besides understanding what all is covered under domestic travel insurance, it is also important to know the exclusions.
Domestic travel insurance does not provide coverage for any pre-existing medical criticalities and related complications. Any form of self-inflicted illness or injury, suicide attempt, non-adherence to medical advice of the doctor, and HIV/AIDS are also not covered under the policy. Situations arising out of an act of terrorism or war are also excluded. Any harm to the insured due to drugs abuse, the influence of alcohol, and voluntary participation in hazardous activities and criminal acts is also not covered under this travel insurance plan.
You can claim your travel insurance by following a few simple steps. Some insurance companies offer instant settlement over the phone while others may require you to fill out a claim form, produce relevant documents, witness and so on. The claim process for domestic travel insurance depends on the type of claim and how you present it. We advise, keep it straight to cover the payment. The best part is that with the Internet booming so fast, you can make a claim online as well offline, i.e. by visiting your insurer's office.
Let's take an example of flight cancellation or delay. A flight delay is the most annoying situation that you may face during your travel and may lead to an extra financial burden on you as you miss the connecting flights and hotel accommodations, or sometimes, important business meets. Buying another ticket is not everyone's cup of tea all of a sudden. Here, travel insurance comes to your rescue. The insurer recompenses the entire interruptions, provided you have to produce a valid proof of your claim or a certificate from the airline that you were supposed to travel, validating your claim.
People often do not realize the necessity of travel insurance and consider it as a block on their liquidity. There are many misconceptions that prevent people from investing in domestic travel plans in India. Mentioned below are a few myth busters to make you understand the need and importance of domestic travel insurance.
People usually have a misconception about not having a need of travel insurance if their flight duration is small. Miss happenings or emergencies do not depend upon the duration of your flight; it is just a matter of a few seconds.
All of these eventualities have no relation with your flight duration. Buying travel insurance is the only way to face and tackle these circumstances. An appropriate travel insurance plan can be your financial support in such circumstances and save you from stress.
As misinterpret by most people, domestic travel insurance is not expensive. If you understand the need and benefits, it wouldn't seem expensive to you any further. The best part being, nowadays you have numerous insurers and an array of customizable plans available in the market. You can definitely choose a plan as per your requirements and affordability.
Gone are the days when the process of buying and renewing insurance policies was cumbersome. Most of the insurance companies facilitate online purchase of policies and excellent post-sales assistance as well. Apart from buying and renewing your plan online, you can also file a claim online.
Mostly, as a result of mis-selling, people face challenges in claiming the right amount when in need. To prevent the same you should:
Buying domestic travel insurance from PolicyBazaar is beneficial in the following benefits:
Domestic travel insurance not only provides safety assurance in terms of finance but also provides peace of mind. PolicyBazaar provides you with a global platform to make an efficient choice and that too within your budget.
1. Aditya Birla Travel Insurance
2. Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance
3. Bharti AXA Travel Insurance
4. Cholamandalam Travel Insurance
5. Digit Travel Insurance
6. Future Generali Travel Insurance
7. HDFC ERGO General Travel Insurance
8. HDFC ERGO Health Travel Insurance
9. IFFCO Tokio Travel Insurance
10. National Insurance Travel Insurance
11. New India Assurance Travel Insurance
12. Oriental Travel Insurance
13. Reliance Travel Insurance
14. Religare Travel Insurance
15. Royal Sundaram Travel Insurance
16. SBI Travel Insurance
17. Shriram Travel Insurance
18. Star Travel Insurance
19. Tata AIG Travel Insurance
20. United India Travel Insurance
21. Universal Sompo Travel InsuranceDisclaimer : *Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
1. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered by most of the insurance companies
2. Delay of baggage less than the specified hours
3. Travelling to a place with a high risk of riots, civil disorder, terrorist activity, ignoring the government warnings
4. Loss of baggage or personal belongings due to carelessness
5. If travelling without the consent of treating doctor or if travelling only to avail treatment outside
6. If the trip is cancelled by the trip operator or the base of cancellation is not a medical emergency
7. Mental illness, suicidal activity, attempt to suicide etc. are excluded
8. Adventurous sports unless it is mentioned in the policy
To get the complete list of exclusions, you can refer here
1. In case the insured person is traveling despite a big no from his/her physician.
2. If the insured person is traveling for the sole purpose of getting the treatment, or he/she has undergone a terminal prognosis for any medical condition.
3. Any pre-existing illness.
4. Attempted suicide or suicide, any self-inflicted Injury, sexually transmitted diseases, nervous or mental disorders, stress, anxiety, depression, AIDS, /HIV
5. Serving in Armed Forces or Military in peace or
6. Being under the influence of alcohol, drugs, hallucinogens, intoxicants.
7. Attempted or participation in riots, felony, misdemeanor, crime, civil commotion etc.
8. Flying, learning to fly any aircraft, or performing as a crew member of any aircraft or scheduled airlines etc.
9. Any losses due to civil war, war, insurrection, invasion, revolution, hostilities, act of foreign enemy, rebellion, use of military power mutiny, or usurpation of government or military power.
10. Any damage, loss, costs or expenses (directly or indirectly) resulting from or caused by or related to any act of terrorism.
11. The direct or indirect use of nuclear materials, which results in nuclear radiation, reaction, radioactive contamination. The application or dispersal of poisonous biological, pathogenic or chemical materials.
12. Any injury due to manual work for the employment or any hazardous occupation, self-exposure to avoidable danger unless it’s an attempt to save a human life.
13. Congenital anomalies or any arising condition or complication.
14. Participating in sports activities, such as parachuting/skydiving, hang gliding, scuba diving, bungee jumping, mountain climbing riding/driving in rallies or races using a motorized vehicle, caving or pot-holing, equestrian activities or hunting, sea diving or any other underwater activity, canoeing or rafting that involves boating or yachting, white water rapids out of the coastal waters, participating in professional sports, any hazardous or potentially hazardous sport for which the insured person is untrained.
15. The insured person riding a bike or any other motorized two-wheeler as a rider or as a pillion rider.
16. Any direct or indirect loss leading to aggravated, contributed or prolonged from pregnancy or by childbirth.
17. Any loss whose contributing reason was your attempted or actual commission, or your voluntary participation in any illegal activity or any attempted violation or violation of the law or your unwillingness to get arrested.
18. Any injury, damage, loss or direct or indirect legal sustained by any member of a terrorist organization or terrorist, narcotics trafficker, or purveyor of chemical, nuclear or biological weapons.
19. Any non-medical