Traveling is always fun, and with all this fun, comes an element of uncertainty and risk. Every time you travel, you just think of happy and fun moments ahead. To enjoy every moment peacefully on your domestic trip, business trip or holidays with your family or loved ones, you must ensure buying domestic travel insurance. Most people buy travel insurance when traveling abroad, but tend to ignore it when traveling within India. It's necessary to invest in a comprehensive domestic travel insurance plan to eliminate all financial risks and unwarranted medical expenses. Travel insurance policy will help you ensure a pleasant and relaxing journey and stay safe against all adversaries when traveling in your home country.
Traveling within India involves various risks for any traveler. Contingencies do not come with a prior notice and your journey, whether abroad or within India, does entail potential risks. Domestic travel insurance covers medical emergencies, accidents, flight delays, cancellation, damage or loss of baggage, etc. Domestic Medical Travel Insurance comes packed with the assurance that you won't have to spend a fortune for medical treatment and hospitalization expenses in order to manage and cope with unforeseen hassles. With this assurance, comes peace of mind and a feeling of security, especially when you're flying to an exotic domestic travel destination.
Any Indian travelling within the country is eligible to buy travel insurance. Any national from another country, traveling in India or working with a permit in India can also buy this travel plan. Some of the major providers of travel insurance policies in India are Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance, Tata AIG Travel Insurance and many more.
The eligibility age is usually between 18 to 65 years and varies from plan to plan. The coverage provided by the insurer depends upon numerous factors such as you're the destination you are travelling to, medical conditions, the duration of your trip and many more.
Buying the best domestic travel insurance in India is certainly a necessity; because all the while you travel you are surrounded by risk and uncertainties.
Majorly all the insurers provide a medical or accident cover, cancellation or delay cover, and lost or damaged baggage cover. These travel insurance covers are useful especially when your flight is unduly delayed due to any reasons or when you are travelling with valuable or expensive assets in your baggage.
There are also various covers, such as covers for that particular trip, family covers, or frequent business covers available in the market Let us look at some commonly provided covers under domestic travel insurance:
This cover helps to deal with the expenses incurred due to medical emergencies or accident during the trip. This cover is extremely beneficial; especially if you do not have a medical cover or have one, but with a limited cover.
From unpredictable weather conditions to technical glitches, there can be numerous reasons for a flight delay. Along with being troublesome, it can also cause additional burden on your shoulders due to a missed connecting flight. In such circumstances, the insurer covers you against the expenses incurred due to the delay or cancellation.
Although most of the airlines have policies to provide compensation for the lost baggage, still the loss of baggage in transit is a fear of every traveler. In such circumstances, lost baggage cover under this travel insurance, gives you peace of mind and a feeling of security. It goes some way in ensuring that at least the cost of your belongings is recovered; if not value.
This is a newly introduced cover that is not offered by many but some insurers. It provides coverage against accidental damage to a third party's property and is your liability. This type of cover is especially beneficial if you are travelling with kids.
Besides understanding what all is covered under domestic travel insurance, it is also important to know the exclusions.
Domestic travel insurance does not provide coverage for any pre-existing medical criticalities and related complications. Any form of self-inflicted illness or injury, suicide attempt, non-adherence to medical advice of the doctor, and HIV/AIDS are also not covered under the policy. Situations arising out of an act of terrorism or war are also excluded. Any harm to the insured due to drugs abuse, the influence of alcohol, and voluntary participation in hazardous activities and criminal acts is also not covered under this travel insurance plan.
You can claim your travel insurance by following a few simple steps. Some insurance companies offer instant settlement over the phone while others may require you to fill out a claim form, produce relevant documents, witness and so on. The claim process for domestic travel insurance depends on the type of claim and how you present it. We advise, keep it straight to cover the payment. The best part is that with the Internet booming so fast, you can make a claim online as well offline, i.e. by visiting your insurer's office.
Let's take an example of flight cancellation or delay. A flight delay is the most annoying situation that you may face during your travel and may lead to an extra financial burden on you as you miss the connecting flights and hotel accommodations, or sometimes, important business meets. Buying another ticket is not everyone's cup of tea all of a sudden. Here, travel insurance comes to your rescue. The insurer recompenses the entire interruptions, provided you have to produce a valid proof of your claim or a certificate from the airline that you were supposed to travel, validating your claim.
People often do not realize the necessity of travel insurance and consider it as a block on their liquidity. There are many misconceptions that prevent people from investing in domestic travel plans in India. Mentioned below are a few myth busters to make you understand the need and importance of domestic travel insurance.
People usually have a misconception about not having a need of travel insurance if their flight duration is small. Miss happenings or emergencies do not depend upon the duration of your flight; it is just a matter of a few seconds.
All of these eventualities have no relation with your flight duration. Buying travel insurance is the only way to face and tackle these circumstances. An appropriate travel insurance plan can be your financial support in such circumstances and save you from stress.
As misinterpret by most people, domestic travel insurance is not expensive. If you understand the need and benefits, it wouldn't seem expensive to you any further. The best part being, nowadays you have numerous insurers and an array of customizable plans available in the market. You can definitely choose a plan as per your requirements and affordability.
Gone are the days when the process of buying and renewing insurance policies was cumbersome. Most of the insurance companies facilitate online purchase of policies and excellent post-sales assistance as well. Apart from buying and renewing your plan online, you can also file a claim online.
Mostly, as a result of mis-selling, people face challenges in claiming the right amount when in need. To prevent the same you should:
Buying domestic travel insurance from PolicyBazaar is beneficial in the following benefits:
Domestic travel insurance not only provides safety assurance in terms of finance but also provides peace of mind. PolicyBazaar provides you with a global platform to make an efficient choice and that too within your budget.
|Service Provider||Plan||Benefits of the Plan||Exclusions|
|Cholamandalam Insurance||Cholamandalam Domestic Travel Insurance||
|Apollo Munich||Easy Domestic Travel Insurance||
What are the benefits of domestic travel insurance plan?
A travel insurance plan offers you broad coverage to make your travel easier and convenient. These covers are - missed departure (railways or airways), accommodation expenses caused by trip delay, tickets loss, emergency medical evacuation, around-the-clock assistance, emergency accident medical expenses reimbursement, dismemberment, and accidental death benefit, medical assistance, medical evacuation, repatriation, legal assistance, arrangement of bail bond, emergency travel services, lost travel document/credit card assistance, lost luggage assistance, emergency message transmission assistance, hotel accommodation referral, telephone medical advice, medical service provider referral, arrangement of appointments with doctors, arrangement of hospital admission, arrangement of appointments with doctors, guarantee reimbursement of medical expenses incurred during hospitalization with insurance, due to an accident, monitoring of medical condition during hospitalization, arrangement of compassionate visit, and product and claims information services.
What are 5 Best Travel Insurance Companies in India for domestic travel?
Domestic travel insurance comes in handy to cover tour trips within the country. This policy provides comprehensive financial protection against travel-related risks leading to a financial emergency. When it comes to offering domestic travel insurance, the Indian insurers have introduced a range of plans at competitive premium rates. To name a few insurers:
What are the Exclusions for Travel Insurance in India?
Travel insurance exclusions refer to the conditions that are excluded from your domestic or overseas travel insurance policy. Every insurance company comes with a list of things that are not covered by a particular policy. A claim arising out of any of such situations will not be entertained. Given that, knowing the list f exclusions is very important especially when a claim arises to avoid claim rejection. The common exclusions of a travel insurance policy include:
1. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered by most of the insurance companies
2. Delay of baggage less than the specified hours
3. Travelling to a place with a high risk of riots, civil disorder, terrorist activity, ignoring the government warnings
4. Loss of baggage or personal belongings due to carelessness
5. If travelling without the consent of treating doctor or if travelling only to avail treatment outside
6. If the trip is cancelled by the trip operator or the base of cancellation is not a medical emergency
7. Mental illness, suicidal activity, attempt to suicide etc. are excluded
8. Adventurous sports unless it is mentioned in the policy
To get the complete list of exclusions, you can refer here
What are the exclusions of domestic travel insurance?
This travel insurance plan doesn’t provide coverage in any of the following situations:
1. In case the insured person is traveling despite a big no from his/her physician.
2. If the insured person is traveling for the sole purpose of getting the treatment, or he/she has undergone a terminal prognosis for any medical condition.
3. Any pre-existing illness.
4. Attempted suicide or suicide, any self-inflicted Injury, sexually transmitted diseases, nervous or mental disorders, stress, anxiety, depression, AIDS, /HIV
5. Serving in Armed Forces or Military in peace or
6. Being under the influence of alcohol, drugs, hallucinogens, intoxicants.
7. Attempted or participation in riots, felony, misdemeanor, crime, civil commotion etc.
8. Flying, learning to fly any aircraft, or performing as a crew member of any aircraft or scheduled airlines etc.
9. Any losses due to civil war, war, insurrection, invasion, revolution, hostilities, act of foreign enemy, rebellion, use of military power mutiny, or usurpation of government or military power.
10. Any damage, loss, costs or expenses (directly or indirectly) resulting from or caused by or related to any act of terrorism.
11. The direct or indirect use of nuclear materials, which results in nuclear radiation, reaction, radioactive contamination. The application or dispersal of poisonous biological, pathogenic or chemical materials.
12. Any injury due to manual work for the employment or any hazardous occupation, self-exposure to avoidable danger unless it’s an attempt to save a human life.
13. Congenital anomalies or any arising condition or complication.
14. Participating in sports activities, such as parachuting/skydiving, hang gliding, scuba diving, bungee jumping, mountain climbing riding/driving in rallies or races using a motorized vehicle, caving or pot-holing, equestrian activities or hunting, sea diving or any other underwater activity, canoeing or rafting that involves boating or yachting, white water rapids out of the coastal waters, participating in professional sports, any hazardous or potentially hazardous sport for which the insured person is untrained.
15. The insured person riding a bike or any other motorized two-wheeler as a rider or as a pillion rider.
16. Any direct or indirect loss leading to aggravated, contributed or prolonged from pregnancy or by childbirth.
17. Any loss whose contributing reason was your attempted or actual commission, or your voluntary participation in any illegal activity or any attempted violation or violation of the law or your unwillingness to get arrested.
18. Any injury, damage, loss or direct or indirect legal sustained by any member of a terrorist organization or terrorist, narcotics trafficker, or purveyor of chemical, nuclear or biological weapons.
19. Any non-medical
How can I register a Claim?
It is very simple. All you have to do is contact your insurer on its toll-free number or a local helpline number.
In case I have travel insurance related queries, whom do I contact?
You can call the helpline number of your insurer and get all your questions/queries answered. For most of the insurance providers, these helpline numbers are available around the clock.
When does the travel insurance coverage begin?
Your insurance coverage starts from the day you start travelling and is valid until you return to the city of origin or up to 30 days (whichever is earlier). The end date of your insurance plan is to be confirmed accordingly and it will be mentioned on your travel insurance policy document as well.
Is there any scope of extension of my group travel insurance plan?
No, you can’t change, amend or extend your group travel insurance plan.
What is the eligible age category to buy a travel insurance plan?
Any person falling in the age group of 1-70 years is eligible to buy travel insurance.
What is the maximum trip length for domestic travel insurance plan?
You can buy a domestic travel insurance plan for your trips of the duration of up to 30 days.
What is a deductible?
The amount that an insured person has to bear for each claim is called a deductible.
Does this insurance plan provide coverage for a pre-existing illness?
A majority of insurance providers doesn’t cover pre-existing illness.
Whom should I get in touch if I come across a medical emergency?
In case of a medical emergency, you can contact the helpline number of your insurance provider or you can send an e-mail to its official e-mail address.
How do I file a domestic travel insurance claim?
It is very simple. You have to call the helpline number of your insurer and get in touch with the customer care executive. Provide the necessary details to the customer care executive so that he/she can file a claim.
What are the required documents to process my domestic travel insurance claim?
In order to process your travel insurance claim, you need to provide various documents that play a vital role in the processing your travel insurance claim. You need to provide original medical reports, invoice /receipts FIR report etc. These documents vary with the domestic travel insurance plans. When you will file a claim under a specific domestic travel insurance plan, the customer care executive will update you regarding the required documents.
Who is eligible for buying domestic travel insurance?
Anybody who is traveling in India by airways, railways or roadways can buy domestic travel insurance.
Do I need really need domestic a travel insurance plan?
A vacation is a great escape from your day to day ordinary life. When you’re away from home in a new city, where you don’t know anyone or you’re unaware of the language they speak, what will you do apart from feeling helpless if you get in any trouble? If you have a domestic travel insurance plan, you don’t have to worry about anything. You can travel anywhere in the country without any tension. Your insurance policy does take care of the troubles you may come across.