Student Travel Insurance is a type of insurance designed for students studying abroad. It provides coverage against medical expenses, baggage-related risks, stay disruption and other travel-related risks that students may face during their trip.
Best Travel Insurance policies designed for all your needs.
Plans include global Covid-19 coverage
Now covers COVID-19
A student travel insurance policy comes loaded with unique features such as policy extension and auto-renewal facilities. The coverage under student travel insurance plan not just aids students to pay their hospital and medical bills, but also takes care of visits from family in case of emergency hospitalization, medical evacuation, repatriation, bail bond etc.
So, if you’re travelling abroad for higher education, you must cover yourself with student travel insurance to eliminate the odds of the financial risks arising out of any unpredictable and unfortunate instances.
Aditya Birla Travel Insurance
Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance
Bharti AXA Travel Insurance
Care Travel Insurance
Chola MS Travel Insurance
Digit Travel Insurance
Future Generali Travel Insurance
IFFCO Tokio Travel Insurance
National Insurance Travel Insurance
New India Assurance Travel Insurance
Oriental Travel Insurance
Reliance Travel Insurance
Royal Sundaram Travel Insurance
SBI Travel Insurance
Shriram Travel Insurance
Star Travel Insurance
Tata AIG Travel Insurance
United India Travel Insurance
Universal Sompo Travel Insurance
If you are studying out of India and living alone, there might be possibilities for things to go wrong and you would require support or a back-up to tackle the situation. For instance, an unfortunate event leading to emergency hospitalization can burn a hole in your pocket, as medical expenses are exorbitant in a foreign country. Students living outside India may also have visitors from their families during an emergency medical condition, which requires financial backup as well.
Student Travel insurance covers all such eventualities and ensures that you don't have to bear the out-of-pocket expense. Other than these, student travel insurance comes in handy in covering those non-medical expenses as well such as:
*For the complete list of inclusion, kindly refer to the policy document
To those going abroad for studies, a student travel insurance policy is highly recommended to ensure that any eventuality, such as a medical emergency leading to hospitalization does not lead to a financial catastrophe.
Overseas student insurance comes with certain features that differentiate it with other types of travel insurance. Take a look at some of the most common features of an international student insurance plan offered by insurance providers in India:
Yes. In most countries, it is mandatory for overseas students to possess a valid student health insurance policy to study in their colleges or universities. In fact, many countries like the Schengen countries do not allow students to obtain a valid visa until they have bought an overseas student insurance policy.
The applicant student has the choice of either purchasing an international student insurance policy in India before travelling abroad or they can opt for the student medical insurance offered by their university abroad. People who buy their overseas student insurance in India will end up paying less as compared to those who will buy their student health insurance abroad as the premiums paid in Indian currency (INR) would be lower than the premium paid in US dollars (USD).
Here is a list of countries where student health insurance is a mandatory requirement by most colleges and universities:
Student travel insurance is a protection that shields the insured student from any unpredictable adversities faced during his stay abroad. If a person is travelling overseas to study, he is always advised to get a valid student health insurance plan. To help you understand the importance of overseas student insurance, take a look at the following reasons:
Most universities abroad offer medical insurance plans to overseas students who have secured an admission offer with them. Either it is mandatory for such students to purchase health insurance from the university or buy an overseas student travel insurance plan in their home country.
In case you are considering buying a student university medical plan, take a look at the coverage offered by most international universities:
Student travel insurance policies offer the much-needed coverage that helps neutralize travel-related risks during a student's stay abroad while pursuing his higher education. The exact coverage varies from insurance provider per insurance provider.
Here are the basic elements of insurance coverage offered:
Every student travel insurance policy has certain situations that are out-of-the coverage list.
Negligence towards matters and fact related to insurance can lead you to an inadequate insurance plan. Listed below are a few facts that you should know:
During your stay in the foreign land, you never know when you need to file a claim. Here is the claim process for student travel insurance.
Before embarking on your journey, you can cancel your trip anytime, but you have to justify the reason. Here is the cancellation process for a student travel insurance plan in India.
There are some insurance providers, who offer a premium refund upon early return. If you end your trip before the expiry of your insurance plan and you haven't filed any claims, you can get in touch with your insurance company to get a premium refund. In case you get a refund, it will come with a few deductions.
There can be situations that may force you to extend your stay abroad. For instance, if your exams get postponed and are rescheduled post the expiry of your policy. Or if you get hospitalized for an illness/ accidental injury that extends your stay beyond your original schedule. In all of these situations, a need to extend your student travel insurance will arise. Luckily, all travel insurance policies allow the insured to extend their student travel insurance policies.
If your overseas stay gets extended due to reasons beyond your control, then your travel insurer will extend your policy, provided you have paid the additional premium amount applicable. Several factors determine the additional amount of premium that you would have to pay in order to extend your student travel insurance policy. The period of extension, your age, type of insurance plans, location of your university, etc. are some of the factors that influence the additional premium that you’ll have to pay.
Besides, your student policy will be extended if you meet the following conditions:
Make sure to inform your insurance company or the assistance provider as soon as possible so that the policy extension can be made effective on time. Also, keep in mind that the extension of your travel insurance policy depends on the sole discretion of the insurance company.
Moreover, you can extend your student travel insurance policy only if the ongoing claim is related to one of the following covers:
If you are looking forward to save some money on your insurance premium, here are a few things to be covered when it comes to lowering down Student Overseas Travel Insurance premiums.
Buying student travel insurance from PolicyBazaar can offer following benefits:
Focused on providing students with financial coverage against those travel-related eventualities, student travel insurance provides the much-needed assistance in the hour of need.
You can also opt for other benefits with your travel insurance policy to fortify the cover and make your policy a comprehensive one. These riders include provision for a bail bond, reimbursement of tuition fee under sponsor protection, compensation on loss of passport and a lot more.
1. Xerox copy of the passport pages
2. Submit a valid reason for the cancellation of the policy
3. In case the trip was cancelled because of the refusal of the Visa by the Embassy, the Visa rejection letter would need to be submitted.
1. Travelling irrespective of a big no from your physician
2. Getting treatment for pre-existing illness or any complication caused due to a pre-existing illness
3. Attempted suicide or suicide
4. Terrorism or war
5. Dangerous sports or illegal adventure activities
1. The policy period hasn’t expired
2. The sum insured won’t be increased under any condition
3. There isn’t any claim filed during the policy period
4. The policyholder has to declare his/her good state of health
5. The policyholder has to pay the premium for travel insurance extension before the actual extension comes into effect.
6. The policy period and the extension period don’t exceed the period of two years.
7. There isn’t any option of multiple extensions available. The extension can be availed specifically for one-time only.
1. Covers medical expenses during the course of study
2. Imdenifies pre-paid tuition fees in case of study interruption and death or permanent disability of the sponsor
3. Offers legal prosecution and bail bond
4. Provides financial assistance in case of loss of baggage or passport
1. Details of your policy
2. Letter requesting cancellation of policies
3. Copy of passport/ visa rejection/ cancelled flight ticket
1. Medical treatment expenses
2. Loss of passport
3. Dental expenses
4. Loss/ delay of check-in baggage
5. Medical evacuation
6. Trip delay
7. Repatriation of mortal remains
8. Personal accident
9. Accidental death & dismemberment (common carrier)
10. Trip cancellation & curtailment
11. Personal liability
12. Missed connection flight
13. Sponsor protection
14. Bail bond
15. Study interruption
16. Compassionate protection
17. Maternity cover
18. Childcare benefits
19. Fraudulent charges for card payment security and many more.
Nonetheless, all applicants of travel insurance for students are advised to check the exact modes of payment from their insurance provider. This is because the payment mode may vary from one insurance company to another.
1. Medical treatment expenses for an illness or accidental injury
2. Pre & post hospitalization expenses
3. Room rent
4. Expenses incurred on expenses
5. Daily hospital cash
6. Cost of ambulance services
7. Pharmacy bills
8. Cost of pathology tests and investigations
The insured student should make sure that the treatment has been prescribed by the doctor or a medical practitioner
1. is the maximum amount that the turse the tuition fee any to another. d yout trl insurance policy.will cover the cost oDental treatmentLoss of p
2. Loss/ delay of check-in baggage
3. Loss of passport
4. Emergency financial assistance
5. Trip delay
6. Hijack distress allowance
7. Missed connection
8. Trip cancellation & interruption
Moreover, the extension of the policy is at the discretion of the insurer.
If you get admitted to a hospital for more than 24 hours, you need to inform your insurance company or the assistance provider about your hospitalization at the earliest. The insurer will settle the bills directly with the network hospital in case of cashless treatment. If you are not admitted to a network hospital, you will have to file a reimbursement claim after you have gotten discharged from the hospital and settle all the bills.
1. It covers students between the age group of 16 and 35 years
2. It offers exclusive covers that are specific to the needs of the students studying abroad such as study interruption, sponsor protection, loss of laptop/ tablet, bail bond, etc.
3. It comes with worldwide coverage and thus, covers students travelling to study in any corner of the world.
4. It offers cashless hospitalization facilities to the insured students if he/ she are admitted at one of the network hospitals of their insurance provider.
5. It comes with a policy cancellation option in case the overseas university/ college rejects the student medical insurance purchased in India.
6. This travel insurance can be easily renewed between semesters through the auto-renewal option in case your existing policy expires at the end of your present semester.
7. You can easily extend your student travel insurance in case your final semester gets extended or delayed.