Columbia University Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1409 -
Updated date : 12 December 2018
New York is often called as the hub for opportunities in education. The city offers plentiful options for the young aspirants to live their dreams. One such institute that has continuously maintained to be in the top list is Columbia University.
Columbia University for Foreign University
Founded in the year 1754, Columbia University is one of the most popular universities amongst the students, especial those are from India or other parts of the world. the university is ranked 3 in 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities. The university is comprised of 3 UG schools – Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science and the School of General Studies – as well as a number of graduate and professional schools.
Entry Essentials for Columbia University
The minimum entry requirement is as follows:
- Visa Requirement: to visit New York city, one must carry a valid Visa. A certificate of eligibility from Columbia University will also be required that is I-20 or DS-2019.
- Valid Passport: Carrying a valid passport is essential to enter any of the cities of USA. The passport must be valid for a specified period to avoid any consequences abroad.
- Visa Waiver Programme: Under the VWP scheme, the traveller can stay the USA up to 90 days without a valid Visa. VWP facility is available in 38 participating countries abroad.
- ESTA Authorisation: To enter New York city under VWP, the traveller must have ESTA approval, which urges him/her to produce particular information before travelling.
- Student Health Insurance: following the basic entry requirement for the international students, the university offer student health insurance under Columbia University Student Health Insurance Scheme. As navigating US HealthCare System can be complex for the foreign students, the university urges every students to enrol with the health insurance to ensure the highest quality health care. But, this plan would not cover you while you are travelling. What if you missed a scheduled fight or loss the passport while travelling to your dream destination? What if you suddenly get ill while on board and seek immediate medical attention? Health insurance offered by Columbia University by any means would not cover you for such situations. The only solution is having international travel insurance that covers the insured for various foreign destinations while travelling and within the course of the stay there.
Admission Requirements for Columbia University
Columbia University accepts first-years applications worldwide for Columbia College and Columbia Engineering, UG divisions of Columbia University. Both the departments serve full term students only. Students with a break of one year or more should apply for Columbia University School of General Studies. It is applicable to all who wish to pursue part-term studies here.
The applicants must apply through the Coalition Application or the Common Application and QuestBridge Application from QuestBridge Finalists. The application must accompany the below:
- Autobiographical information
- List of achievements, activities, summer activities or employment, if any
- Personal essay
- Official high school transcript
- High school counselor's recommendation
- Mid-year Report
- SAT or ACT score
- TOEFL if required
- Teacher’s recommendations
Top Attractions for Students near Columbia University
The ever-happening city of the USA, New York offers some off-the-beaten things to explore during your stay at Columbia University. This place is worth a visit for those who love classical architecture and adventure. However, there are a lot more to it. If you are in the city never miss a chance to cherish the following places:
- Nuclear Power at Pupin Laboratories
- Columbia University tunnels
- Raven Mantle
- Anthony's Hall
- Whispering Bench
- Revolutionary War Plaque
Shopping Attractions for Students near Columbia University
Students coming from different parts of the world need not have to worry about paying an extra dollar in shopping as the nearby area hosts some of the city’s best shopping points that offer discounts for the students. Starting from fixing your phone and finding a pair of designer jeans to getting your favourite haircut, you’ll find everything within the close vicinity. While some are famous for amazing clothes and set a fashion quotient, the others offer exceptional discounts on particular days for students. To name a few
- Housing Works Thrift Shops
- Century 21
- Arrojo Studio
- Studio Museum in Harlem
- NYU’s Grey Art Gallery
Accommodation for Students near Columbia University
Columbia University offers a range of comfortable staying options which can be availed at negotiated rates. There are somehow around eleven preferred hotels located all over Manhattan that offer guests a variety of amenities. Apart from the above, there are also some university-partnered apartments that can be easily opted at a reasonable cost. These include:
- Union Theological Seminary - Landmark Guestrooms
- International House
- Teachers College
Eating Options near Columbia University
Columbia University campus offers a handful of eating joints that serves good food at pocket-friendly rates. These places are easily accessible and worth your visit. Some of the good options available within the close vicinity are:
- Farmers’ Market
- Lincoln Center
- Jin Ramen
- Kitchenette Uptown
- Miss Mamie’s Spoonbread
- Mel’s Burger Bar
- Pisticci Ristorante
Columbia University Transport for Students
The university campus is easily accessible through bikes, sharing rides, walk r public transport. University shuttles like Intercampus Shuttle, Manhattanville Loop Shuttle, George Washington Bridge/Fort Lee Shuttle that offer comfortable transportation. Apart from the above, there are Evening shuttle, Community shuttle and Lamont shuttle that make commuting to the campus an easy affair.
Local Law and Etiquette to follow in Columbia University
Drinking Age - Those under 21 are prohibited to purchase and consume alcohol within the New York City. Some hang out avenues allowed students aged 18 years and over to enjoy college night out with non-alcoholic beverages.
Smoking age - The minimum age for smoking is 18 years. However, many lawmakers had made a push in favour of raising the minimum age up to 21 years and there were initiatives taken to ban nicotine in public places. It is better, students travelling to the city must get their nicotine fix before stepping into the university.
If Columbia University is one of your preference, you may find this information handy.
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Submit Student Travel Insurance Claim
Date: 26 December 2019
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 26183
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 8946
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 7881
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 7817
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 7307
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator
- Travel Insurance Calculator