Duke University Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1491 -
Updated date : 18 December 2019
Being ranked 8 in National Universities, Duke University is one of the famous institutes for higher studies in Durham, North Carolina, USA. Founded in the year 1838, Duke was initially known as Brown School, Union Institute or Trinity College. The university is famous for its world-class education with 13 Nobel Prize winners and 3 Turing Award receivers as of 2018. To be a part of this institution is a dream for many foreign students across the globe.
Duke University for International Student
The university campus continues to amaze many with an easy-to-clinch environment. The students of Duke often refer its campus as ‘The Gothic Wonderland’, which has 254 buildings. The surrounding areas offer a variety of activities such as shopping, dining and fun. So, when in Duke, study and fun go parallel. As per the academics are concerned, Duke is famous for Computer Science; Economics, General; Public Policy Analysis, Biological Sciences. The average freshman retention rate in the University is 97%, which indicates the quality of education being offered. With 200+ domestic and international knowledge opportunities, the university prepares its students for a better tomorrow.
Entry Requirements for Duke University
The minimum entry requirement is as follows:
- Visa Requirement: To visit North Carolina for studies, all international students will require a visa. The aspirants of Duke University must own F-1 visa to receive academic credit.
- Valid Passport: You must carry a passport with minimum 6 months of validity to enter North Carolina and study at Duke University.
- Visa Waiver Programme: VWP scheme, one can stay 90 days without a visa, in the 38 VWP participating countries worldwide, including USA.
- ESTA Authorisation – An ESTA approval is required to enter North Carolina under VWP option. This needs to be furnished before boarding the fight.
- Student Health Insurance – It is compulsory for all international students of Duke University to enrol with their Health Insurance Scheme called SMIP (Student Medical Insurance Plan). However, waiver option is also available, especially, those who travel with international travel insurance with sufficient medical coverage and don’t require a coverage. Moreover, the health coverage offered by Duke University may appear expensive for international students, especially one from India, due to the difference in the currency of the both countries. Here’s our comparison table in this regard, showing the difference:
Duke University Health Insurance Vs Student Travel Insurance Policy
|Coverage||Duke University Health Insurance||Student Travel Insurance|
|Dental Cover||$22.95, but with a co-pay||$500|
|Mental Disorder cover||80% of the sum insured after $24% of co-payment||$1000|
*Comparison data culled from Duke University SMIP brochure and TATA AIG Student Guard Plan brochure
Admission Requirements for Duke University
The admission at Duke can be initiated through the Common Application or Coalition Application. The application will require some biographical and academic information, along with a detail of extracurricular activity and a bit of essay writing skill. A recommendation from your school teacher will be required as well. The recommendation can be submitted on paper as well, even though the application is made online. Duke University will no longer require you to sit for the SAT or ACT.
Once the online application is received, you will be forwarded with an email containing insurrections for accessing a personalised Application Checklist where you can monitor the application status. You can make further changes if necessary.
Documents to be Submitted
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Recommendation from teacher
- Essay specific to Duke
- Application Fee: $85
- Waiver of application fee available
- F-1 Visa
Top Attractions for Students near Duke University
It’s time to add some items to your Duke bucket list. Whether you are a Duke student or campus visitor, there are unique experiences not to be missed. The island scenery at the Marine Lab, exploring historic stadium or visiting the Carolina theatre, the place has many things to offer to treat your eyes. Here are to add some to fully experience the inner beauty of Duke:
- Nasher Museum of Art
- Sarah P. Duke Gardens
- American Tobacco
- Bennett Place
- The Brightleaf Square District
- Carolina Theatre
- Duke Campus Farm
- Duke Chapel
- Durham Performing Art Centre
- Duke Basketball Museum & Sports Hall
- Duke Lemur Centre
- Duke Forest to explore nature
Shopping Attractions for Students of Duke University
When in Duke, there is no dearth of options for those who love shopping. The galleries, antique shops, and gift stores offer a range of unique shopping experience. Some of the easily approachable places are:
- Trosa Thrift Store
- Sam’s Club
- Brightleaf Square
- Northgate Mall
- Hometown Apparel
- One World Market
- Shops at Erwin Mill
Accommodation for Students near Duke University
Usually, the university offers accommodation to enrolled students in the university. However, students who can’t make it for the university-own accommodation need not to worry, as the nearby area of the campus offers a handful of accommodation to opt for. Students who are looking for off-campus living options near the university campus can consider the following options:
- Bell West End: Durham's premier apartment community, less than in a mile from Duke University
- Flats at the Exchange on Erwin: comfort, luxury, and convenience within walking distance from the Duke University Medical Centre
- South Terrace at Auburn: Luxury apartments with all possible amenities including swimming pool, free Wi-Fi, a BBQ, 24x7 fitness centre picnic area, a stunning pond with a walking space, and a playground
- The Lofts at Southside: One, two, and three-bedroom style apartment homes with modern amenities. Also near to the Durham Performing Arts Centre.
- Berkshire Ninth Street: Apartments in the proximity to Duke University
Eating Options near Duke University
Duke is quite famous amongst the students for offering some dynamic, innovative and cutting edge collegiate dining. New eating joints are sprouting up all the time to make your stay countable. But if not in the campus, still the nearby areas offer some good options to hang out with your college mates. Here’re some eating joints that serves scrumptious food
- Ninth Street Bakery: Hang out for a cinnamon roll or a sandwich on fresh-baked bread
- Guglhupf: serves delicious pastries and bread with a German twist
- 6 Flavours Indian Restaurant & Bar
- Cupcake Bar: divinely good at serving cupcakes
- Scratch: for Pie lovers
- NOSH: delicious coffee
- 6 Flavours Indian Restaurant & Bar
- Bull City Burger and Brewery: Scrumptious burgers
- Pie Pushers: Pizza truck that serves innovative pies
- Parker and Otis: Dedicated to gourmet food
- Sitar Indian Cuisine
Duke University Transport for Students
Getting around the campus is quite convenient with multiple transportation alternatives available. There are Duke Transit including buses, vans, private taxi service, city and regional buses, a ride-hailing program to make your stay easier. With GoPass, students of Duke University can enjoy a car-free commute. This allows the students, faculty and staff to enjoy multiple rides on GoDurham, GoTriangle, and GoRaleigh. When Duke Transits are not available between 5 pm to 6 am, Duke Vans provide free-transportation for Duke Students. Apart from this, the Downtown Shuttle pilot program is a recently added transport facility in a collaboration with Health System, which operates from 7 am to 6 pm from Monday to Friday. All buses and vans are ADA accessible which are equipped with wheelchairs. Paratransit services are offered by Duke Vans' for differently abled students. If not one can also commute via carpool, vanpool, Enterprise car share, bicycle or it is easily accessible by walk.
Local Law and Etiquette to follow in Duke University
The minimum drinking age in North Carolina is 21 years. So, students below 21 years age are not allowed to consume alcoholic beverages. Those who are eligible by age may require a valid ID to purchase alcohol.
The minimum permissible age for smoking is 18 years. However, smoking is strictly banned in the public spaces including restaurants, parks, school and college campuses.
Apart from this, the state follows anti-bullying law for all.
If you too are interested in Duke University for higher studies, you can consider this information to be acquainted with the admission procedure, entry essentials and local laws and etiquettes to be followed in Duke University.
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Submit Student Travel Insurance Claim
Date: 26 December 2019
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 28735
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 9433
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 8341
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 8240
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 7731