University of California, San Diego (UCSD) Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1729 -
Updated date : 18 December 2019
University of California, San Diego - Overview
Founded in the year 1960, University of California, San Diego is one of the top-notched universities in USA. With six UG colleges, five academic divisions and five professional and graduate schools, the university has created a benchmark of offering world-class education. Its unique study environment and culture has made it one of the most preferred options among international students.
University of California, San Diego for Foreign Students
The university welcomes a pile of students every year, applying for a various programme in UC San Diego. The university offers a student-friendly environment while encouraging unity n diversity within the campus. The international students get to learn about new cultures and ethics alongside the studies. It is also famous for International House where students from more than 30 different countries live and hone their skills together. The traditional Sun God Festival is one of the popular things to witness here.
University of California, San Diego Entry Requirements
The minimum entry requirements of San Diego include:
- Visa Requirement: Students travelling to San Diego for studies must carry a valid visa. Students can enter with an F-1 visa. It is essential to apply for a visa a few months before the expected journey.
- Passport Requirement: A valid passport is essential while travelling to any of the states of USA. The aspirants of UC San Diego must carry a valid passport with a minimum validity of 6 months.
- Visa Waiver Programme: A traveller can stay up to 90 days with VWP, in 38 participating countries including the USA.
- ESTA Authorisation: to enter USA under VWP, you’ll require ESTA approval before boarding the flights.
- Student Travel Insurance: Like other universities in the USA, University of California, Sa Diego urges its all enrolled students with F-1 visas to enrol for mandatory health insurance. It is a comprehensive health coverage under UC SHIP to facilitate the students with medical, behavioural health, pharmacy, dental, and vision care benefits. However, if we consider the cost of this plan, it may appear way expensive for foreign students especially those who are travelling from India. In this regard, student travel insurance comes in handy for covering the insured during his/her stay abroad. Student travel insurance, apart from covering the person while travelling, offers a comprehensive coverage keeping the interest of a student in mind. Moreover, the non-medical coverage is a great attraction which you may not avail in a university-owned health plan. Here’s the basic difference in cost when we compare UCSD Health Insurance and a student travel insurance in India:
UCSD Health Insurance
Student Travel Insurance
UC SHIP Cost
$657.00 per quarter
In-built feature with 10 months waiting period
$500 copay plus 20% coinsurance
Admission Requirements for Foreign Students at UC San Diego
To pursue undergraduate or post-graduate studies from US San Diego, the foreign students can either apply as a freshman or as a transfer student. However, the international students must meet the admissions requiems of the university as any other applicants, except the following:
English Proficiency Requirement for International Students Applying as Freshman
TOEFL minimum scores
- Internet-based: 83
- Paper-based: 550
IELTS Minimum Score of 7 (Academic module)
AP Exam accepted scores
- English Language and Composition: 3, 4, 5
- English Literature and Composition: 3, 4, 5
IB Exam accepted scores
- English (Lang. A) higher level: 5, 6, 7
- English (Lang. A) standard level: 6 or higher
Additional Requirement for Freshman Admission
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) or Senior Secondary Certificate for students applying from India. The requirement may differ from country to country.
Requirement for Transfer Students
International students whose native language is not English or if the high school/university education was availed in a language other than English, they must provide evidence of English proficiency in the below ways:
- Avail B grade or more in the -transferable English composition courses
- TOEFL score of 83 or higher. It is an internet based test
- IELTS test score with 7 or higher (academic module)
Note: The TOEFL and IELTS score no more than two years are acceptable.
Top Attractions Near the University of California, San Diego
You might have researched a lot and read the very page of the university brochure. But the best way to feel the aura of this place is to see it yourself. Within the campus, you can explore the iconic Geisel Library, which is one of the most stunning libraries in the world. It is one of the top 25 public libraries, that offers a handful of reading options to the students at UCSD.
The second most important thing is to taste the food at UCSD dining hall, which serves some of the delicious food ever. The collections include- vegetarian, halal-friendly dining halls, kosher as well as food to clutch on the go. The UC San Diego Bookstore and Perks Coffee Shop are not to miss. Moreover, there are some nicely curated series of art, presented by some famous artists that will certainly grab your attention.
Shopping Attractions at University of California, San Diego
As you settle in the campus and start embracing the new culture, you’ll surely want to explore the surroundings of the campus. And without exploring the local markets in San Diego, your stay will go waste. After all, everyone wants a break from the monotonous study environment and have fun. Given that, here’re some good options to shop around the campus:
- La Jolla Village Square: Grocery & Entertainment, eating joints, electronics & apparel, retail shops
- University Town Centre (UTC): 149 Stores, more than 30 eateries, Nordstroms, Crate & Barrel & Sears, Pottery Barn, Macy's
- Target, Home Depot and Albertsons: good options to party, eateries, Payless Footwear, etc.
- Fashion Valley Mall: Cheesecake Factory, Container Store, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, & more
- Liberty Public Market
Where to Eat Near University of California, San Diego
The international students will get many options to please their taste buds during their stay in San Diego. The campus is no short of options to try delicacies, both local and international. So, whether you’re from India or some other parts of Asia, you’ll never miss your food there with many options available. To name a few:
- Royal India - San Diego
- Bombay Coast
- Masala Street
- Taste of the Himalayas
- Captain Sam’s Fish & Chicken
- Captain Sam’s Fish & Chicken
Hotels Near University of California, San Diego
Whether local or international students, UC San Diego offers a range of good options when it comes to accommodating its students. You’ll get short-term and long-term housing owned by the university as per your requirement. Single occupancy and shared rooms are available at a reasonable cost. You can also go for off-campus hotels that are in the vicinity. Dormitory-Style housing offers living spaces at a lower rate. However, these hostels are quite far from the campus. Moreover, private hotels are there which serve a large number of students offering a comfortable stay. Some of the living options to be considered within and outside the campus include:
- Solana Beach Host Family Program
- San Diego Home stay
- HomestayBay San Diego
- Best Western by the Sea
- Courtyard by Marriot - Sorrento Valley/La Jolla
- Holiday Inn Express Sorrento Valley
- Homestead San Diego
- Hotel La Jolla at the Shores
- La Jolla Inn
- Marriott Residence Inn
- Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
- Synergy Corporate Housing
- Lucky D's Hostel
- Banana Bungalow San Diego
University of California, San Diego Transport Facility for Students
Getting around the campus of the University Campus of California, SD never becomes a hurdle for the students with unlimited access to various modes of transportation. UC San Diego’s transit pass programs provides unlimited rides to regional transit bus and trolleys for students. The enrolled students get a Triton U-Pass. There are ECO Pass and Coaster Club where passes are available at a discounted rate for the students and faculty. Moreover, students, faculty and staff can ride free shuttles. These shuttles are operational in nine different routes that connect the campus on weekdays. Some of the popular modes of transpiration that connect the campus with the different parts of the state are:
- Student shuttle
- Coaster Shuttle
- East Campus Circulator
- Medical Centre shuttle
- Mesa Nueva Shuttle
- North Campus Shuttle
- SIO Shuttle
- South Campus Shuttle
- West Campus Connector
- Holiday Airport Shuttle
- UC San Diego Shuttle Bus
Local Law & Etiquettes to be Followed when in University of California, San Diego
The legal age for consuming, sold or purchasing alcohol or alcoholic beverages is 21 years.
UCSD is a completely smoke or alcohol-free campus. However, the minimum age for smoking in the city is 21 years.
University Campus of California, San Diego is a good option for those who are willing to pursue higher education in the USA. In this regard, you can consider the aforementioned information to get familiar with the university, state culture and laws prevailing there.
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Submit Student Travel Insurance Claim
Date: 26 December 2019
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 30392
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 9806
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 8778
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 8627
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 8077