University of Chicago Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 737 -
Updated date : 15 January 2019
University of Chicago - Overview
University of Chicago is one of the most popular university in the USA and remains one of the busiest educational hubs across the globe. The university offers a wide range of eductaional courses and getting admission in this univerisy remains a dream for any student from across the globe. In fact, University of Chicago is amongst the most sought after educational institutions in the world and is often a part of every student’s study abroad checklist. Every year, the university welcomes hordes of students from different parts of the world including India.
University of Chicago for Foreign Students
The University of Chicago is one of the most prestigious and revered educational institutions globally. Founded in the year 1890, the university claims to have 80 Nobel Prize winners till date. With its vibrant and happening campus, University of Chicago offers education in 17 different programmes. The total enrolment of undergraduate students is 6,264 annually.
Entry Essentials for Chicago
- Student VISA Information - Any student travelling to Chicago for getting admissions in University of Chicago must obtain a valid Visa beforehand to enter the city. The application for Visa can be downloaded from the official website of the CIA and submit to the authorised visa agent.
- Passport Information - As a mandatory entry rule, students travelling to Chicago for getting admissions in University of Chicago must ensure a passport valid for travel for at least six months beyond their intended stay in the country.
- Visa Waiver Programme -It is an initiative of the USA Government, under which a visitor is allowed the citizens from 38 participating countries to stay up to 90 days without a visa.
- ESTA Authorisation - To enter Chicago under VWP, foreign students must have an approval through the process of Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) which involves furnishing specified details of traveller(s) before boarding their flights to Chicago, USA.
- Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) - This is followed by many foreign governments including the USA. Under APIS, US authorities require the passport and travel information of the person flying to the destination country prior to his/her travel. APIS information usually consists of personal information like name, date of birth, gender, nationality etc. and unique details like the passport number and expiration date etc.
- Student Health Insurance - Most of the popular universities in Chicago offer health insurance for its students. And like most educational institutions, University of Chicago too offers health insurance under the University Student Health Insurance Plan to cover hospitalization and outpatient diagnostic, testing and surgery expenses of its students. However, student travel insurance offered by University of Chicago can prove to be expensive scheme for students from India and many other developing states. Therefore, it is essential to carefully select and buy a travel insurance plan that offers comprehensive health cover as a part of the plan.
Chicago University Student Health Insurance Vs. Student Travel Insurance
University of Chicago Health Insurance
Student Travel Insurance
Dental pain relief
*Comparison date culled from University of Chicago Student Health Insurance brochure and TATA AIG Student Guard Plan brochure.
Every year, the University of Chicago welcomes thousands of students from the different parts of the world. Admissions to the university are offered through a common application process. The application process at the University of Chicago is categorised into 3 parts:
- First-year Applicants: The undergraduate admissions are done through QuestBridge Applicants, Home-Schooled Applicants, and International Applicants. The applicants may appear in the entrance exam in the Autumn Quarterly.
- Transfer Applicants: This process is for those full-term students who have completed at least one term at another university and wish to get admission at Chicago University. Transfer students are allowed to enter the university in the Autumn Quarter.
- Veterans Applicants: The veterans of US Armed Forces are also welcomed by the University of Chicago. If you have completed a year at another university or college, you must apply as ‘transfer student’, else as a ‘first-year applicant’. However, the university doesn’t charge any application fee to the veterans.
- Application for Admission and Supplement Essays
- Application Fee or Automatic Fee Waiver
- Secondary School Report and Transcript
- Two Teacher Evaluations
- College Reports and Transcript (transfer students only)
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores for international applicants
- Midyear Report (first-year applicants only)
- Financial Aid Application
- Optional Video Profile
- Supplemental Materials: Optional Art, Creative, Research, or Other Supplements
Top Attractions for Students near University of Chicago
The area around University of Chicago is exceptionally rich when it comes to delighting students with myriad of sightseeing attractions. Without a sightseeing tour, a foreign student can’t really understand the culture and heritage of the city. Here is a little list of some of the most popular sightseeing attractions for students near University of Chicago:
- Rockefeller Memorial Chapel
- Henry Moore Sculpture
- The Renaissance Society
- Oriental Institute
- University of Chicago Quads
- The Court Theatre
Shopping Attractions for Students near University of Chicago
University of Chicago offers a wide range of shopping attractions to ensure that students with all sorts of shopping preferences find something of their liking well within their budget. Most of these shopping attractions are located within walking distance from the University of Chicago making it convenient for the students studying at Chicago University. Here is a small list of just some of the many shopping attractions close to University of Chicago :
- LaHart & Company
- Magnificent Mile & Streeterville
- Richard Gray Gallery
- Water Tower Place
Eating Out for Students near University of Chicago
Chicago campus offers abundant eating joints that serve a variety of foods. Apart from the regular restaurants and the options available within the campus, there are some of the most beloved student haunts in Hyde Park which are worth a visit:
- Z & H
- Medici Bakery
- Med restaurant
- Sitdown Cafe
Hotels near University of Chicago
Being one of the top and most popular educational institutions in the USA for students, University of Chicago offers a good range of accommodation options that are available in every range. However, hotels close to University of Chicago are moderately expensive. Here are some low budget alternatives for students planning to get admissions in the University of Chicago:
- UIC James Stukel Towers
- Campus North Residential Common
- Burton-Judson Court
- Parthenon Hostel
The prospective students visiting the university can take advantage of getting the hotels that have partnered with the University of Chicago. Hyatt Place Chicago provides shuttles to the university as well. The other hotel options in Hyde Park and downtown Chicago can be avail at a reasonable rate.
University of Chicago Transportation Service for Students
The university campus is easily accessible through Bike Share, Bus, night-ride after the usual hours and umbrella coverage. CTA U-passes are also available for the students providing services in CTA’s buses and trains during regular timings.
Local law and etiquette for Students Going to University of Chicago
- Buying/drinking age: The official drinking age is 21 years. However, students need to present valid identity to buy alcohol.
- Smoking age: The official age for smoking is 21 years. However, as per the current Chicago Clean Indoor Air Act, smoking is prohibited in Chicago. Vaping or using an e-cigarette, vape pen, or e-hookah are banned in public places.
- Driving without a valid license is a crime and may lead to suspension of the DL or imprisonment.
Students planning going to Chicago must get familiar to the educational culture, local language, law and etiquettes in advance to ensure making most of their educational stint in the University of Chicago.
- Most Read
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Ohio State University Student Health Insurance
Date: 16 May 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 22627
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 8130
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 7036
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 7015
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 6575
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator