University of Wisconsin-Madison Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 356 -
Updated date : 25 April 2019
University of Wisconsin - Overview
Are you planning to study abroad? If you’ve not decided the university or college yet, here is the deal!
University of Wisconsin, Madison is among 10 famous public institutions in USA that appeals your attention. The National Research Council’s survey in the year 2010 ranked the university in the top 10 list for its academics. The survey revealed that UW-Madison is the top university with the highly rated doctoral programme, which the other universities in USA can barely beat. If this statistic excites you then browse over the university website and consider the below information!
University of Wisconsin for Foreign Students
University of Wisconsin welcomes international students with open arms. A huge portion of the university student body is comprised of foreign students who find the campus as their home. Whether you want to grow with research or to touch new heights in academics, this place offers every possible opportunity to grow. The graduate programme of the university attracts students from diverse cultural backgrounds. 25,000 of students hail from different parts of the globe including India, China, Korea, Turkey, Germany, Taiwan, Iran and so on.
University of Wisconsin Entry Essentials
The entry essentials of Madison are:
- Visa Requirements: Students applying for the University of Wisconsin must carry valid student visa to enter to state. Students can enter with an F-1 or J-1 visa, which should be applied a few months prior to the exact travel date to avoid last minute rush.
- Passport Requirement: One must carry a valid passport as well. Without a passport, no one is allowed to enter USA. A passport with minimum 6 months validity is required.
- VWP and ESTA: USA including 38 other countries allow travellers to enter and stay in these countries for 90 days without a visa. If someone is travelling with VWP, the same has to be notified previously. Moreover, ESTA approval is also required before the journey if travelling with VWP.
- Student Travel Insurance: the University of Wisconsin offers health insurance coverage under its SHIP scheme for all enrolled students. This policy offers comprehensive health coverage. Considering the fact that, healthcare expenses are exorbitant in USA, SHIP is necessary. The plan is specially designed to cover those unexpected expenses arising out of a medical emergency. No doubt this plan comes with comprehensive features and added benefits. But if we come to the cost or annual premium, it may appear expensive for the students, especially from India. Due to the growing value of the dollar than Indian rupee, availing health insurance like SHIP can be an expensive affair. In this regard, student travel insurance plan comes to your rescue. Here’s the difference in cost offered by both plan:
University of Wisconsin Health Insurance Vs Student Travel Insurance
CMU Student Health Insurance
Student Travel Insurance
*Date culled from UW-Madison Student Health Insurance and TATA AIG Student Guard Plan brochure
University of Wisconsin Admission Process
University of Wisconsin welcomes international students with F-1 or J-1 visas. The university has 44, 411 students while students from 127 countries apply every year. The admissions are granted through the Common Application process online. The applications are reviewed by the admission counsellors and admission is only offered to the students with strong academic abilities.
- Class 12th Certificate and score
- SAT or ACT score
- Aspirants from non-English speaking countries applying for Freshman admission must submit TOEFL or IELTS score
- Applications should be made either Freshman, Transfer or Re-entry Applicants category.
- The students currently enrolled in high school must submit internal grades for coursework taken in grades 11 and 12
- Grade 12 senior secondary board results
- If you’ve completed class 12th kindly submit attested copy of secondary and senior secondary board results
- English translation with the official transcript if the official language is not English
Top Attractions Near University of Wisconsin
Madison being one of the quintessential cities in USA offers many things to explore for the tourists. It witnesses visitors in every season coming from all over the world. The place is famous for the vibrant cultural scene, festivals, the first-rate museums, art galleries. It offers a diversity of attraction for the visitors. When in UW-Madison the students can be engaged with may activities off-campus such as sailing on lakes Mendota, skating, hockey, Nordic skiing, and ice fishing in winters and a lot more. By saying that, here’re some top attractions in Madison for students:
- Wisconsin State Capitol
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Henry Vilas Zoo
- Capitol Square
- Memorial Union Terrace
- State Street & Downtown Madison
- Chazen Museum of Art
- Lake Mendota
Accommodation for Students Near University of Wisconsin
If you are an aspirant of the University of Wisconsin, accommodation is the first thing to consider while entering the country. The university provides excellent accommodation options both on-campus and off-campus. There are residence halls and apartments serving a large number of students. You’ll get good living apartments near the campus at an affordable cost. Options to be considered are:
- The Stateside
- Hub Madison
- Lark at Kohl
- Vantage Point
- Ovation 309
Eating Options Near University of Wisconsin
No wonder food is the second most things for which Madison is famous among the students. The campus brims with everything that Wisconsin students could ever want for. The University dining serves faculty, students and staff through a number of food avenues across campus. Apart from on-campus dining, the neighbouring locality offers a range of dining options off-campus. Staring from local delicious foods to international cuisines, this place got everything to satisfy your taste buds. Here’re some good options to pick from:
- Short Stack Eatery
- Food Carts
- Espresso Royale
- Los Gemelos
- Leia’s Fabulous Lunchbox
- Daily Scoop
- Forage Kitchen
- Bassett Street Brunch Club
Shopping Attractions Near University of Wisconsin
Home to many restaurants, shops and hotels you can find this place perfect for anything you want. The capital city has treasures to be found for every taste. Discover your shopping options here:
- State Street & Downtown Madison
- Hilldale Shopping Centre
- West Towne Mall
- East Towne Mall
- East Point Plaza
- Williamson Street
- Johnson Creek Premium Outlets
- Dance Country Farmer’s Market on the Square
- State Street
- Hilldale Mall
- Monroe Street
University of Wisconsin Transport System for Students
Commuting the campus of UW-Madison is easier and pocket-friendly with a variety of routes connecting by Madison Metro. The campus buses are free for students which serve free rides and connect the campus with different parts of the city. The Madison Metro runs between the campus and Madison city. A huge parking space is available for visitors parking. The UW Transportation Services offers commuter solutions for faculty, students and staff. This includes campus bus and bus passes to be availed at discounted rates, carpooling, vanpool parking, emergency ride home etc. It also encourages SafeWalk which provides walking companion service to promote the benefits of the walk. Moreover, Madison is among the first five best cities for bicycling.
Law and Etiquettes to follow when in University of Wisconsin
- Drinking Age: The university encourages safe use of alcohol and requires everyone to obey the rules. Age per the local law, the legal age for consumption of alcohol or alcoholic beverages is 21 years.
- Smoking Age: It is illegal in Wisconsin to sell any tobacco products to someone under the age of 18 years.
Making study choices has always been difficult so far. It becomes more complicated with too many options available to consider. In fact, the biggest hurdle is to finalise the right deal on your study programme abroad. If you’re looking for a programme or university in USA, you can consider University of Wisconsin in your study abroad bucket list!
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Ohio State University Student Health Insurance
Date: 16 May 2019
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Student Health Insurance
Date: 01 May 2019
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) Student Health Insurance
Date: 29 April 2019
- Harvard University Student Health Insurance
Date: 25 April 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 21458
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 7967
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 6835
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 6791
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 6378
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator