The Transport Department of the state of Gujarat was formed to carry out the provisions of Indian Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. RTO Ahmadabad comes under the jurisdiction of the Department of Transport, Gujarat. The main aim of the department is to provide efficient transport related formalities to the citizens. It is headed by the Commissioner of the Transport Department, Gujarat.
Functioning of RTO Ahmadabad
The various tasks performed by the RTO Ahmadabad include:
- Issuance of temporary registration card
- All formalities related to permanent registration card can be done with RTO Ahmadabad. It also inspects the vehicles while allotting registration numbers
- Re-registration of the vehicles is done with RTO Ahmadabad. A registration card is valid for 15 years for a non-transport vehicle, which needs to be renewed with RTO Ahmadabad
- If a vehicle owner needs a duplicate copy of the vehicle registration card, the same can be availed from RTO Ahmadabad. Upon submission of the relevant application form along with the required documents, a duplicate RC number is allotted by the Registering Authority
- Transfer of vehicle ownership is only done with RTO Ahmadabad by submitting Form 29, Form 30 etc.
- Issuance of NOC if the owner wishes to sale the vehicle outside the city or state.
- In order to make changes in the vehicle registration book like- change of address, an application regarding the same needs to be submitted with the RTO Ahmadabad
- RTO Ahmadabad also offers fancy numbers to those who wish to avail it through auction
- Issuance of legal permit to drive a vehicle in any public street
- Issuance of legal permits for good carriage, stage carriage
- Offers services such as private service vehicle permit.
- Offers services such as national permit for the good carrying vehicles
- Issuance of learner’s licenses
- Permit for commercial vehicles
- The vehicle owner can avail a duplicate driving license (DL) in case of the loss of the original one
- Issuance of an international driving permit in case the vehicle needs to be driven abroad for a limited period
- It also issues driving licenses for the differently abled people under Section 10 of the Act, 1988. In order to avail the DL, the applicant must produce the disability proof
- Offers facility of cancellation of license
RTO Ahmadabad Contact Details
||RTO Contact Details
||RTO Office, Subhash Bridge, Sabarmati, Ahmedabad- 380027
Types of Vehicle Registration in Ahmadabad
There are two types of vehicle registration in Ahmadabad. Temporary Registration and Permanent Registration.
- Temporary Registration: Temporary Registration can be availed by the vehicle owner from the dealer at the time of buying a vehicle. The temporary number is allotted a maximum of one month. The vehicle owner needs to register the vehicle with the RTO Ahmadabad within this period.
- Permanent Registration: Its essential to carry a registration card or RC wherever the vehicle is driven. The permanent registration card can be availed by approaching the RTO Ahmadabad. The vehicle owner needs to fill an application form and submit along with the relevant documents. Within a stipulated time, the concerned RTO allots a registration number.
How to Register a Vehicle in Ahmadabad?
Like other states, the state of Gujarat also has made it mandatory to register each and every vehicle plying on the roads of its various cities. Ahmadabad is no exception. The RTO Ahmadabad is responsible for providing registration numbers to various vehicles. The process is simple. One can directly approach the Registering Authority by filling an application form and submit to the RTO office. A vehicle inspection will be done by the authorised vehicle dealer, else the same will be done by the concerned officer of RTO Ahmadabad. Upon verification of everything, the vehicle owner will be allotted with a registration number.
Documents Required for Registering a Vehicle in Gujarat
In order to register a new vehicle with the RTO Ahmadabad, one needs to furnish the following documents along with the Form 20
- Form 20/Registration application form
- Form No.21/ Sale Certificate obtained from the dealer
- Form 22/Roadworthiness certificate from the manufacturer
- ID proof and recent passport sized photos of the vehicle owner
- Insurance document of the vehicle
- Address proof of the owner
- Customs bill to be submitted if the vehicle is imported
- Form 22 Part(2) is required if the vehicle is not body build
- High School Leaving Certificate, L.I.C. Policy, Voter ID, Electricity Bill, House Tax payment receipt Telephone Bill, pay slip of Central/State/Local Self-Government
How to Change Address in RC Book in Ahmadabad
Whatever the reason is, one can update a new address in the registration card as well. It will take less time and minimal paperwork. To initiate the process, the vehicle owner can approach RTO Ahmadabad and fill an application form and submit along with the following documents:
- Form 33 along with chassis print
- No Objection Certificate obtained from the financer for hypothecation if the vehicle is bought on loan
- Original copy of RC Book
- Vehicle insurance document
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Address proof of the vehicle
- Applicable fee for change of address
How to Get a Duplicate Registration Certificate in Ahmadabad
In case of a loss or complete damage of the registration card, the vehicle owner can apply for a duplicate registration card by approaching RTO Ahmadabad. A vehicle owner can obtain the duplicate RC by filling an application form and submitting the same with the below documents:
- Police report stating about the loss
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) obtained from the financer if the vehicle is bought on loans
- Address proof, PUC Certificate and insurance documents are required if the vehicle is bought on a loan
- The applicant needs to pay a fee of Rs. 30 for bike and Rs. 100 for car
Transfer of Vehicle Ownership in Ahmadabad
When a vehicle is sold or bought, the ownership needs to be transferred to the name of the buyer. This process is called Transfer of ownership or RC transfer. Through the transfer of ownership, every related liability is transferred to the new owner of the vehicle. This can be done by filling an application form and submit to the RTO Ahmadabad. The RC transfer should be initiated within 14 days from the date of selling. A set of documents also needs to be furnished, which include:
Documents Required for Transferring Ownership
- In order to transfer the vehicle ownership, the owner needs to submit an application for transfer in ownership. In this regard, Form 19 and 30 need to be filled with a print of chassis number with a pencil
- Form 31/if the change is through inheritance
- Form 32/if the transfer is due to public auction
- Original copy of RC Book
- Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
- Vehicle insurance document
- Address proof, identity proof of the owner
- An applicable fee of Rs. 30 for two-wheelers and Rs. 100 for four-wheelers to transfer the owner
How to Renew Registration Certificate in Ahmadabad
A registration certificate is valid for 15 years in case of private vehicles. Therefore, it needs to be renewed timely to avoid penalties. The transport authority renews the RC after analysing the roadworthiness of the vehicle, for another 5 years. The owner can apply for the renewal of the RC on an application form and by submitting the filled form along with the below documents:
- CMV Form No. 25
- Original Registration Certificate
- Pollution under Control (PUC) Certificate
- Paid road tax receipt
- Insurance document of the vehicle
- An address proof of vehicle owner
- An inspection of the vehicle will also be done
How to Get Vehicle Insurance in Ahmadabad
The sprawling metropolis, Ahmadabad is the capital city of the state of Gujarat. With a population of 5.8 million people, the city is the 5th largest city in India. Given that, there is no dearth of vehicles in the city. Starting from the regular models to luxurious one, people have wholeheartedly embraced the change. All thanks to growing liberalization, Ahmadabad has been growing as a commercial hub. To cope up with the prolific growth of the motor industry within the city, various insurance companies have come up with innovative insurance solutions to aid with the rising rate of road accidents. Car or two wheeler insurance is the need of the hour these days as it financially protects the insured during an unforeseen event.
Moreover, the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, makes it mandatory to have vehicle insurance in India. It is an imperative buy which covers the insured by offering
- Third Party Liability Cover
- Own Damage Cover
- Personal Accident Cover for the owner-driver, driver and passengers
- Additional coverage on a payment of extra premium
How can I update an endorsement of deletion of loan hypothecation on the RC?
Whenever a vehicle is bought on loan and when the loan is repaid, the same can be updated on the registration certificate.
The procedure of endorsement of deletion of loan hypothecation requires:
- Original registration certificate
- Duly filled Form 35 (2 copies)
- Certificate from the finances stating about the retained loan amount
- Valid insurance document, attested copy only
- Address proof of the registered owner
- Valid PUC, attested copy only
- Applicable application fee
- PAN Card or Form 60 & Form 61 wherever is required (attested copy)
- NOC from financer
How to go with the process of issuing NOC for transferring the vehicle to other state?
If a vehicle owner wishes to take his/her vehicle to another state and get it re-registered there, a NOC from the concerned RTO needs to be presented by applying in Form no 28. The other documents required include:
- Duly attested copy of the registration certificate
- Proof of recently paid road tax
- Valid Pollution under Control Certificate
- Valid insurance document
What is the period of validity of Learner's licence?
You can drive your vehicle with a learner’s license for 6 months.
What is the validity of the temporary registration certificate?
The temporary registration card is valid for 7 days. However, the vehicle owner can extend it by making a written request but not the maximum of one month. After that, it has to be registered permanently with the concerned RTO.
What is the procedure of registering a vehicle bought from a state other than Gujarat?
In case a vehicle is purchased or bought from another state with a registration mark of that state, the transfer of vehicle ownership needs to be ensured within 30 days of delivery. You should also pay the applicable road taxes as per the rule of state government, before plying it in any city of Gujarat. The transfer of ownership can be initiated by approaching any of the concerned RTO. You’ll require filling an application and submit along with the documents like:
- Original copy of the vehicle registration certificate
- Insurance document
- Emission Testing Certificate
- Applicable road tax
You can approach the help desk to be guided through the process, related forms and taxes. The applicable tax to be paid will be decided based on the vehicle age and cubic capacity as on the date of delivery in case of bikes and cars.
DO I need a NOC for payment of road Tax?
NOC is not a requirement for payment of road tax.
What is the purpose of NOC and NDC?
NOC is required when you bring a vehicle from a state other than Gujarat and need Gujarat Registration Mark. NOC is to be obtained from the concerned RTO where the vehicle was registered already. No Due Certificate or NDC is necessary if you want to update a transfer of ownership in the registration certificate of a vehicle bought from another state.
Is inspection of vehicle required for updating change of address or transfer of ownership?
Yes, it is mandatory for the vehicle to be produced for inspection if you want a change in the address or transfer of RC ownership.