Regional Transport Office (RTO) Nagpur
TThe Regional Transport Department of Nagpur or RTO Nagpur was established under the provision of Section 213 (1) of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. RTO Nagpur ensures carrying out the various laws laid down in the Motor Vehicles Act and is entirely headed by the Transport Commissioner.
Functions of Nagpur RTO Office
- Issue Learner license/New Driving License/Duplicate driving license
- Conducting Driving Test
- Renewal of Issued Licenses
- Temporary and Permanent registration of vehicles
- Registration certificate renewal
- Ownership transfer
- Issue No Objection Certificate
- Updating a new address in RC
- Issue duplicate Radio Cab license
- Renewal/Issuance of Radio Cab license application
- Tourist Vehicle Permit
- National Permit or Tourist Permit Authorisation
- Specific State Carriage Service Permit
- Public Carrier National Permit
- Temporary Permit
- Permit for Specific Contract Carriage
- Special application for national permits
- Permit for Private Service Vehicle
- Permit for Specific Stage Carriage
- Permit for stage carriage
- Specific Contract Carriage Permit
- Permit for Goods Carriage
RTO Nagpur Details
The state of Maharashtra has a handful of RTOs actively operational in different areas within the state. RTO Nagour is among the 50 functional offices under the league of Maharashtra Transport Department. RTO Nagpur has 3 different branches, detail of which is given below:
RTO Contact Details
Regional Transport Office Opp. Giripeth Post Office, Amravati Road Nagpur-440001
RTO Nagpur (EAST)
Regional Transport Office Opp. Giripeth post office, Nagpur-440001
RTO Nagpur (Rural)
Regional Transport Office Indora, Lal Godown No.9, Teka Naka,Kamptee Road, Nagpur (R)-440014
How to Register a Vehicle at Nagpur RTO
Without a valid Registration Certificate, driving a vehicle is a punishable offence. One may end up paying huge penalties or adding one more challan from the traffic police. Hence registering a new vehicle is essential. One can avail temporary and permanent registration card by approaching the concerned RTO. However, temporary registration can be availed through the dealer at Online Dealer Registration option. The documentation is done by the declarer and submitted to the RTO officie. The registering authority further allots the registration number.
The temporary RC doesn’t lust forever and offered for a maximum of one month. One has to register his/her vehicle permanently by approaching RTO Nagpur and filing an application form.
Vehicle Registration Process in Nagpur
- To register a vehicle with RTO Nagpur, one can visit the nearest RTO Office or website to download the application form.
- The duly filled form needs to be submitted with other relevant documents
- A vehicle inspection will be done by the RTO Officer
The Registering Authority will verify the documents and after assessing the vehicle will allot the registration number. The registration number can be availed as Smart Card which contains the details such as
- Registration Number
- Date of registration
- Vehicle model number
- Colour of the vehicle
- Chassis number
RTO Maharashtra Permanent Registration Process
The permanent registration process is a simple yet mandatory process ensure to drive a vehicle efficiently. The process requires submitting the below documents to the RTO Nagpur to avail the Permanent Registration number:
- Form 20/application for registration
- Form 21/sale certificate by the dealer
- Form 22 and 22-A from the manufacturer/for vehicle worthiness
- Temporary registration card, if any
- Insurance documents of the vehicle
- Address proof such as Voter Id, Passport, Utility bill, LIC copy etc.
- Customs bill if the vehicle is imported
- STA approval in case of trailer vehicles
- Manufacturer’s certificate for registering a transport vehicle
- Paid road tax receipt if the vehicle is bought from another state
How to Renew Registration Certificate in Nagpur?
In every 5 years, a registration card needs to be renewed. Without a valid RC one can’t drive his/her vehicle, which compels one to renew the RC on time. Failing which may lead to a huge penalty on road. A expired RC can be renewed by applying in Form no. 25 and submit to the RTO Nagpur, along with the relevant documents:
The below documents are required in order to renew a Registration Certificate:
- Duly filled From no. 25
- Registration Certificate in original
- Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
- Valid Insurance document of the vehicle
- Applicable renewal fee
- Vehicle inspection will be done by RTO Nagpur
- Upon verification of every document, the Registering Authority will issue the new Registration Certificate
Transfer of Ownership of Vehicle in Nagpur
When a vehicle is sold or purchased, the ownership has to be handover to the buyer. Moreover, if the vehicle is purchased from another state and to be driven in Nagpur, it must be re-registered with RTO Nagpur, though it is already registered with the concerned RTO of a particular state. The application process requires:
- Form 33 in case of an address change
- Form 29 and 30 to transfer the ownership of the vehicle
- Form AT and FT for initiation of arrival of the vehicle/kept for use in the state
- Form 28/No Objection Certificate from the finance in case of a loan
- In case of a commercial vehicle, Form TCR and TCA are required
- Affidavit stating that the vehicle is not involved in any accident previously, crime or theft
Availing Duplicate RC in Nagpur
Nagpur RTO issues duplicate RC if the vehicle owner has lost the original copy and applied for a duplicate one. This requires filling an application and submitting to the RTO Nagpur. The Registering Authority will investigate the request and after verifying the documents, a duplicate copy of the RC will be allotted.
Process and Documentation
The documentation for duplicate RC involves:
- A challan will be issued saying that “RC is List”
- Dully filled Form 26 to initiate the process
- NOC from the financer in case of a loan
- Vehicle insurance copy
- Driving license copy
- Triplicate copy Form 26 with the endorsement of registering authority
- Applicable fee to avail duplicate RC
The applicant has to submit the aforementioned documents to the RTO Nagpur. A duplicate RC will be allotted after verifying the documents by the Registering Authority.
How to Update Address on RC in Nagpur
If a new address needs to be updated with the Registration Certificate, the same can be initiated by filling an application form and submitting to the RTO Nagpur. The application form can be downloaded from the website of the Maharashtra Transport Department or form the RTO office. The application must accompany with the below documents:
- Duly filled Form 33
- Registration Certificate
- Valid insurance document
- Address proof of the owner
- NOC from the financer if the vehicle is under hypothecation
- Valid tax payment proof
- Applicable fee
How to Get Vehicle Insurance in Nagpur?
To legally drive a vehicle on the roads of Nagpur, one must insure his/her vehicle. The supreme authority in terms of vehicles, M.V. Act has made it mandatory for all vehicle owners to have third party insurance at least. The other types of insurance one can opt for include Comprehensive Cover, Personal Accident Cover, Add-on covers with a basic cover etc.
Availing vehicle insurance in Nagpur is not that tough. With a variety of insurers offering various innovative products, one will require to analyse his/her needs and buy. However, buying without a thorough research and comparison doesn’t sound good. A comparison of insurance plan will aid the insurance seekers with the right deal at the best price. In case of buying insurance in Nagpur, one can either visit the branch of the insurance company or visit the websites online and purchase.
What should be the exact size for the registration mark?
For Motor Cycle or Scooters:
- Height - 35
- Thickness - 7
- Space In MM - 5
For All Motor Vehicles:
- Height - 65
- Thickness - 10
- Space In MM – 10
What are the uses of registration certificate?
The registration certificate a valid proof of the ownership of a vehicle. It says the vehicle is duly registered with the concerned RTO. It can also be used for the transaction, renewal, re-registration of a particular vehicle.
What is the need for a change in address in RC?
In case a vehicle is shifted to another state or you have to visit a different place for a particular period, the required changes are to be made to your RC as well. However, if your duration of stay is less than 3 months, you don’t need to make any change as the RTO authority considers this as a visit. But if the stay is more than 3 months and less than 1 year, you will have to pay the road taxes. But RTO will not accept the tax for another state vehicle, that’s why the change of address is required and re-registration of the vehicle is done accordingly. For re-registration or change of address, a NOC has to be obtained from the concerned RTO with whom the vehicle was registered.
What are the applicable re-registration fees?
The re-registration fees applicable to different vehicles are:
- Bikes/Scooter/Two Wheelers - Rs 60
- LMV (TPT) - Rs 300
- LMV (Non TPT) - Rs 200
- Medium goods carrying vehicle- Rs 400
- Medium passenger carrying vehicles - Rs 400
- Imported private vehicles- Rs 800
- Imported bikes - Rs 200
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle - Rs 600
- Heavy goods carrying vehicle - Rs 600
What is the validity of a registration certificate?
A registration certificate is valid for 15 years. After that it has to be renewed accordingly.
What is the validity of re-registration of a vehicle?
The re-registration of a vehicle is valid for five years.
What is the limit to render the service?
The time limit for the service to be rendered is 90 days.
What is the eligibility to apply for permanent registration in Nagpur?
Every vehicle owner is eligible to apply for permanent registration certificate. Moreover, o behalf of the owner, vehicle dealer also can apply for the RC. If the temporary registration is obtained while purchasing the vehicle, the owner has to apply for the permanent RC within 7 days to maximum of one month.
What is the validity of RC in case of commercial vehicle?
In case of non-transport or commercial vehicle, the validity of registration certificate sustains until the fitness certificate is valid.
What is the processing time of registration certificate in Nagpur?
The entire process of register a vehicle with RTO Nagpur takes 5 working days. The registering authority deliver the registration number after verifying the submitted documents. A thorough inspection of the vehicle is also ensured.