Department of Transport of Pune functions under the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act, M.V Act, 1988. The department is headed under the supervision of Commissioner of cthe Transport Department, who is reported by Deputy Commissioner of Transport.
Functioning of RTO Pune
RTO Pune is responsible for performing the below activities:
- It is responsible for carrying out the provisions of vehicles act as well as the regulations of Maharashtra Motor Vehicles
- Collection of road taxes
- Issuance of registration card
- Renewal of registration card
- Issuance of license
- Renewal of DL
- Issuance of learner’s license
- Maintains a coordinated growth via issuing permit, levy and tax collection under the provisions of Bombay Motor Vehicle Act, 1958
RTO Office in Pune
The state of Maharashtra has 50 regional offices functional in different areas. Pune RTO is one of them.
RTO Contact Details
Regional Transport Office
39, Dr Ambedkar Raod, Near Sangam bridge, Pune - 411 001
020 / 26058090
Types of Vehicle Registration in Maharashtra
Under the provision of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, every vehicle needs to be registered with the concerned RTO within a stipulated time limit. RTO Pune is responsible for providing RCs to every vehicle plying on the roads of Pune. The registration process can be done in two ways:
- Temporary Registration: Temporary registration is offered for a limited period by the dealer at the time of purchasing a vehicle. However, this registration is valid for 7 days only and the vehicle needs to be registered with the RTO Pune within these days. This registration is offered on a temporary basis to drive the vehicle and has no relevance once t it is expired.
- Permanent Registration: As per the rule, a vehicle needs to the registered within 7 days of its delivery. Without a registration card, one can’t drive a vehicle. Permanent registration can be availed over temporary one by approaching RTO Pune and submitting the application form along with the relevant documents. The permanent registration card is valid for a period of 15 years, after which it needs to be renewed with the RTO Pune.
How to Register a New Vehicle at RTO Pune?
The Motor Vehicles Act of India doesn’t allow an unregistered vehicle to drive on the roads of Pune. Even, the vehicle is registered with another state government, the owner still needs to register it with RTO Pune, before it can be driven on the road. As Motor Vehicles Act urges every vehicle to be registered with a temporary or permanent registration process, the same can be initiated directly with the dealer by including registration details on the trade certificate. After that, the vehicle can be sent for inspection. Upon completion of all formalities, a new registration number can be allotted to the vehicle owner. To register a new vehicle, the below documents needs to be submitted to RTO Pune:
Documents Required for Registering a Vehicle in Pune
- Form 20/application form through which the new registration can be done
- Form 21/ with the sales certificate obtained from the dealer
- Form 22A/ roadworthiness certificate of the vehicle obtained from the manufacturer stating that the vehicle is in compliance with pollution and safety standards
- Invoice of the purchase in case life-tax is applicable
- PAN Number or Form 60
- Vehicle insurance document
- Proof of address of the owner
- Custom bill is required if the vehicle is imported
- Manufacturer’ certificate in case of a carriage
- STA’s approval certificate in case of the trailer vehicles
- Tax payment receipt is required if the vehicle is bought from another state
How to Renew Registration Certificate in Pune?
Without a valid registration card, it is impossible to drive a vehicle on the roads. There is no exception for Pune as well. That’s why it is necessary to renew every registration card after a definite interval. All private vehicles plying on the roads of Pune are required to be re-registered for every 5 years, once it completes 15 years from the date of first registration. The renewal of registration can be done through RTO Pune. The process can be initiated by filling and submitting an application form along with the below documents:
Documents Required for Renewing RC in Pune
- Duly filled and signed From no. 25
- Original Registration Certificate
- Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
- Valid Insurance document
- Re-registration fee
- The vehicle needs to be produced for inspection to the RTO Pune
Upon verification of every document and thoroughly inspecting the vehicle, RTO Pune will issue the new Registration Certificate. With the renewed RC, one can freely drive his/her vehicle on the roads hereafter.
Transfer of Ownership of Vehicle in Pune
If a vehicle is bought from another state, the same can be driven on the roads of Pune only after the vehicle is registered with the Pune RTO. Despite the vehicle is registered with the state RTO, still, it needs to be re-registered with RTO Pune. As the new owner can’t use the vehicle plates or registration details of the previous owner, the transfer of ownership is done by approaching the concerned RTO.
In order to apply for a new registration card, Form 20 and form 21 are required to be submitted. The other necessary documents to initiate the process include:
- Form 33 in case of an address change
- Form 29 and 30 to transfer the ownership of the vehicle
- Form AT and FT
- Form 28/No Objection Certificate from the finance if the vehicle is bought on loan
- Form TCR and TCA if the vehicle is bought for a commercial purpose
- Affidavit on non-involvement in crime, accident or theft
How to Avail Duplicate RC in Pune
Duplicate RCs can be availed from RTO Pune if the vehicle owner misplaces the original one. The owner must furnish the required documents along with an application form to complete the process. While applying, the information required is registration number of the vehicle, model no., chassis number, name and address, engine no. etc.
Process and Documentation
- The process of issuing duplicate RC involves:
- A Challan saying ‘RC is Lost’ will be issued
- Form 26, it can be downloaded from the official website of the RTO as well
- NOC from the financer if the vehicle is bought on loan
- Copy of insurance document of the vehicle
- Driving test paper
- Copy of driving license
- An applicable fee will also need to pay to avail duplicate RC
How to Update Address on Registration Certificate
If the owner changes his/her residential address or relocate, the new address needs to be updated in RC as well. This can be done easily by filling an application form to the RTO Pune and submitting the following documents:
- Duly filled Form 33
- RC in Original form
- Valid insurance document
- Proof of address
- No Objection Certificate from the financer in case of loan hypothecation
- Valid tax payment proof
- Applicable fee for change of address
How to Get Vehicle Insurance in Pune?
Availing motor insurance in Pune is easy. The all you need to do is to analyse the requirement and research a bit online. These days, most of the insurance plans are available online, which makes it easier for the insurance seekers to get a quick view of every plan. Moreover, online insurance is always convenient, time-friendly and affordable.
When it comes to buying motor insurance, there are two types of basic plan-Third Party Insurance and Comprehensive Insurance. When third party insurance is a mandatory buy which protects the owner of the vehicle against the liability that may arise out of an accidental injury, death or property damage to a third party, the comprehensive cover is an optional one that provides extensive coverage to the insured vehicle in case of an unforeseen event. One can also opt for add-on coverage such as zero depreciation cover, NCB protector, road-side assistance cover, engine protector, key protector etc. on an additional premium. This way the basic insurance coverage can be increased.
Whatever the plan, one must compare it online and buy. Online comparison helps the buyers land on a right plan by comparing on the various grounds. This way one can get an affordable deal as well.