The Department of Transport, Gujarat is formed under the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act 1988, Section 213. RTO Surat comes under the jurisdiction of Gujarat Transport Department and is solely headed by the Transport Commissioner. The aim of this department is to ensure efficient transportation facilities to the public by performing the major responsibilities laid down in the M.V Act of India.
Functions of RTO Surat
The various functions of RTO Surat include:
- Driving License-
- Organising driving test
- Issuance of learner’s license
- Issuance of new license
- Renewal of DL
- Issuance of international DL
- Issuance of Motor Driving School license
- Issuance of Conductor's License
- Registration of Vehicle-
- Issuance of temporary and permanent registration certificate
- Transfer of ownership in RC
- Change of address in RC
- Issuance of duplicate registration certificate
- Entry or loan hypothecation in RC
- Issuance of NOC in case of sending a vehicle to another state
- Renewal of Trade Certificate
- Issuance of Fitness Certificate for vehicles
- Issue Permits
- Collection of revenues for the Government including :
- Motor Vehicles Tax
- IMV Fees Collection
- DA (Departmental Action) Cases
- Vehicle inspection at the time of allotting registration numbers
- Environment safety and pollution control by encouraging
- CNG/LPG Conversion and PUC Testing Centres etc.
- Promote road safety initiatives
RTO Surat Code & Address
|RTO Name||RTO Code||RTO Address||RTO Contact Details|
|RTO Surat||GJ05||RTO Office, Ring Road, Nanpura, Surat - 385001||0261-2464902|
Types of Vehicle Registration in Surat
Like others cities in the state of Gujarat, Surat has two types of vehicle registration- Temporary Registration and Permanent Registration.
- Temporary registration is offered at the time of buying a vehicle by the dealer, which is valid for a limited time. The vehicle owner needs to apply for a permanent one within a given time. A person can drive a vehicle with a temporary RC not more than one month.
- Permanent RC is mandatory in India without which plying a vehicle is an offence and leads to a penalty. Registration certificate indicates that a particular vehicle is registered with the concerned RTO. That’s why every vehicle driving on the roads of Surat needs to be registered with RTO Surat. A one can apply for permanent RC by filling an application form and submit with relevant documents.
How to Register a Vehicle in Surat?
Vehicle registration in Surat can be done either online or offline. However, online registration is the most convenient way. To initiate the process, one can fill Form no. 20. Application form can be downloaded from the official website of RTO Surat. The authorised registering officer will inspect the vehicle and upon verification of every document, RTO Surat will allot a registration number.
Documents Required for Registering a Vehicle in Surat
The following documents need to be furnished in order to register a vehicle with RTO Surat:
- Form 20/ Application form to register the vehicle
- Form No.2/Sales Certification of Dealer
- Form No. 22/Roadworthiness certificate given by the manufacturer stating
- Address and ID proof of the owner
- Insurance policy document of the vehicle to be registered
- Custom clearance bill in case of an imported vehicle
- STA approval on design in case of semi-trailer or trailer vehicle
Transfer of Vehicle Ownership
If a vehicle is bought or sent to another state, the ownership also needs to be transferred to the new owner. This process is called ‘RC Transfer’ which means every related liabilities are transferred to the buyer. All it requires to fill a form and submit to the RTO Surat. The process of transferring RC cab be initiated within 14 days from the date of selling the vehicle. A set of documents required to be submitted with the application form in order to ensure a smooth transfer of ownership:
Documents Required for Transferring Ownership
- Form 19 and 30 need to be filled with a print of chassis number with a pencil
- Form 31/ in case of inheritance change
- Form 32/in case of a public auction
- Original copy of Registration Certificate
- Pollution Under Control (PUC)
- Address and identity proof of the owner
- Applicable fee for transferring the ownership
- Applicable tax at 15% of the actual lump sum tax. If the vehicle is above 8 years, tax at 1% or Rs. 100 whichever is higher
How to Change Address in RC Book
Vehicle owner needs to change his/her address and the reasons can be manifold. However, irrespective of a reason, the same needs to be updated in the registration certificate as well. An application in this regards is required to be filed along with a set of documents which include the following:
- Form no. 33 with chassis print
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the financer in case of loan hypothecation
- Original RC Book of the vehicle
- Insurance document of the vehicle
- PUC Certificate
- Address proof
- Applicable fee for change of address
How to Get a Duplicate Registration Certificate
A duplicate registration certificate is required in case the vehicle owner losses the original one or it is damaged. Applying for a duplicate RC is easy. By filing an application form and submitting with relevant documents, one can easily avail a duplicate RC. The required documents include:
- Police report in case of loss
- No Objection Certificate obtained from the financer
- Address proof of the vehicle
- Insurance document
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Applicable fee for availing a duplicate registration certificate
How to Get Vehicle Insurance in Surat
Being one of the first major trading centres in India, Surat is a sprawling hub famous for the trade of diamonds, textiles, diamond-studded gold jewellery manufacturing etc. The city is well-known for textile and silk industry as well. With various off-site offices of leading IT industries like Wipro, TCS, HCL, the city has started seeing a surge in the development in IT Sector. This affects the growth of the city transportation system as well. The growing rate of vehicle registration in the city has increased the demand for vehicle insurance as well. When the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, has made it mandatory for every vehicle owner to insure its vehicle, having vehicle insurance in Surat is equally important.
Motor insurance policy offers a complete protection to the insured vehicle against unforeseen circumstances. the policy comes with following coverages:
- Third Party Liability Cover
- Own Damage Cover or Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance
- Personal Accident Cover for the owner-driver, driver and passengers
There are add-on covers as well which ensure extra-coverage and financial assistance. By opting for such cover one can boost the basic policy cover. Add on covers like Zero Depreciation, NCB Protector, Key Protector, Engine cover etc. are worth one's money.
While buying a plan one should be careful of certain things that may influence one’s insurance decision. This includes the coverage of the policy, claim settlement process of the insurer, premium offered, features etc. it is advised to buy a plan after comparing all these factors. Online comparison helps the insurance seekers making an informed decision by sticking to their budget.
What are the types of vehicle registration in Surat?
Like other cities of Gujarat, Surat has two types of vehicle registration; Temporary and Permanent Registration. While temporary registration (RC)can be issued at the dealer’s point, permanent registration has to be done with RTO Surat.
What is the validity of temporary registration?
You can use temporary registration card for a minimum of 7 days and maximum one month.
What is the validity of the permanent registration card?
The permanent registration card can be issued for 15 years. After that, it needs to be renewed by approaching RTO Surat. If my vehicle is not fir, will my vehicle fitness certificate be cancelled, despite the fitness certificate being valid? Yes, it an. You have to maintain the basic condition of the vehicle to utilise the vehicle fitness certificate throughout.
What if the vehicle meets with an accident, after the expiry of the fitness certificate?
In such a case, you will have to bear the entire repair cost, as the insurance company will not cover you without a valid fitness certificate. Moreover, a penalty can be imposed for driving a vehicle with without valid FC.
How to avail duplicate RC in Surat?
Duplicate registration card is required if the original one is lost. The vehicle owner can’t afford driving his bike or car without a valid RC, it is mandatory to apply for duplicate one, if he/she lost it. The process can be initiated by applying to the RTO Surat and making an application. The application should be submitted along with the relevant documents
When should I renew my RC?
A vehicle registration card is valid for 15 years. After that, it requires to be renewed b approaching the concerned RTO. In case of a vehicle plying in Surat, the owner has to apply for renewal at RTO Surat, fill an application and submit along with the required documents. A vehicle inspection will be done at the RTO centre. Upon verification of the documents, the Registering Authority will renew the RC.
What is the process of availing re-registration mark in Surat in case of vehicle migration?
If you bought a vehicle from outside the state, the vehicle has to be re-registered with the state RTO, despite its being registered already. The re-registration mark can be obtained by approaching the concerned RTO along with a NOC from the RTO of the state, where it was registered previously. A prescribed form has to be filled and submitted along with the relevant documents.
What is the of the validity of Learner's license?
Learner's license is valid for the period of 6 Months.
Which Document requires for applying for an International driving license?
International permits are issued by various RTO zonal offices. This permit is issued for one year. You’ll require the following documents to apply for international DL:
- Copy of Valid driving license
- Copy of valid Visa
- Copy of valid Passport
- Five passport size photograph.
- Copy of valid Air Ticket
- Application Fee of Rs. 500/-