The Transport Department of Odisha was founded to carry out the provisions of the Indian Motor Vehicles Act 1988. The main objective of the department is to provide efficient transport facility and to implement the rules laid down on the M.V Act. The department works together with the other organisations towards the development of transport facilities and is devoted in offering satisfactory services. With around 50 lakh-registered vehicles with a revenue generation of Rs. 910 crore as per the stats of 2014-15, carry out the administrative machinery is a multidisciplinary approach. In this regard, RTO offices in Odisha share a fair set of responsibilities to ensure efficient transportation within the state.
Functioning of RTO Odisha
- The various responsibilities of RTO Odisha include:
- Issuance of learner’s driving license
- Permanent license
- Temporary registration card
- Permanent registration card
- Collection of road tax
- Issuance of national permits
- Issuance of stage carriage permit
- Collection of applicable fees for applying for DL, registration, pollution under control certificate, transferring ownership, duplicate RC, address change etc.
- Various transport related penalties are also collected by RTO Odisha
RTO Odisha List
Odisha has 35 RTOs and 3 ARTOs actively functioning within the state. The responsibilities are equally divided keeping the convenience of the public and vehicle population in mind. RTO is in overall charge of administrating the transportation-related norms in the region. They also act as a key body when it comes to enforcing the rules of Motor Vehicles Act 1988. Each RTO includes a Regional Transport Officer, Inspector of Motor Vehicle (IMV), Additional RTO (Enforcement), Additional RTO (General), Asst. RTO, Traffic inspector, Sub-inspector of Traffic, OMVD Constables (Enforcement) and Ministerial Staff.Let’s consider the below list of RTO Odisha and their locations:
|RTO Location||RTO Code||RTO Location||RTO Code|
|Balasore||OD 01||Rayagada||OD 18|
|Bhubaneswar||OD 02||Angul||OD 19|
|Bolangir||OD 03||Gajapati||OD 20|
|Chandikhol||OD 04||Jagatsinghpur||OD 21|
|Cuttack||OD 05||Bhadrak||OD 22|
|Dhenkanal||OD 06||Jharsuguda||OD 23|
|Ganjam||OD 07||Nabarangpur||OD 24|
|Kalahandi||OD 08||Nayagarh||OD 25|
|Keonjhar||OD 09||Nuapada||OD 26|
|Koraput||OD 10||Boudh||OD 27|
|Mayurbhanj||OD 11||Debagarh||OD 28|
|Phulabani Khandamal||OD 12||Kendrapara||OD 29|
|Puri||OD 13||Malkangiri||OD 30|
|Rourkela||OD 14||Sonepur||OD 31|
|Sambalpur||OD 15||Bhanjanagar||OD 32|
|Sundergarh||OD 16||Bhubaneswar||OD 33|
|Baragarh||OD 17||Jajpur||OD 34|
Types of Vehicle Registration in Odisha
Like every other state, there are two types of vehicle registration in Odisha- temporary and permanent registration.
- Temporary Registration: This type of registration is offered by the dealer at the time of buying a vehicle. The owner needs to submit the required documents along with an application form to avail the RC. Later, the dealer submits the application form and documents to the RTO Odisha. Upon verification, a temporary registration number is provided for a limited period, a maximum of one year.
- Permanent Registration: As temporary registration number is provided for a limited time, the owner needs to apply for a permanent registration number within the period. An application shall be made in Form 21 to initiate the process and by submitting the applicable fee to the RTO Odisha. Wherever or whenever a vehicle needs to be driven, the Odisha RTO registration no is always required.
Vehicle Registration in Odisha
Getting registered a vehicle is mandatory in order to drive it on the roads of Odisha. The registration can be done with RTO Odisha. Every registered vehicle is offered with a registration number for future reference.
An application shall be made to get a registration number. The application form needs to be filled duly and submit along with the required documents to the RTO Odisha. The concerned RTO will verify the documents and will allot a registration number to a vehicle.
Documents Required to Register a Vehicle with RTO Odisha
The documents required for registering a vehicle with RTO Odisha include:
- Application in Form 20
- Form 21/Sales Certificate obtained from the dealer
- Form 22/road worthiness certificate from the manufacturer
- Form 34/in case of loan hypothecation
- Vehicle insurance documents
- STA approval on design in case of a semi-trailer or trailer vehicle
- Passport size photographs
- Age and address proof documents of the owner
- Applicable application fee and road taxes
- In case of an imported vehicle, customs clearance certificate needs to be submitted
The aforementioned documents are some of the mandatory documents that need to be submitted in order to avail registration number. However, the documents may vary from state to state and the registering authority may ask for additional documents as well. The application for availing registration number can be initiated online by visiting the official website. The Registration Authority will process the application after uploading the relevant documents. The applicant has to submit an acknowledgement form along with the application to the RTO in order to complete the application process.
Renewal of Registration
Renewal of a vehicle registration is required after 15 years from the date of first registration. Once the registration card expires, the re-registration needs to be done within 60 days by making an application on Form 27.
Documents Required for Renewal of RC in Odisha
- Form 27/application form
- Form 29, 30 and 33 also have to be submitted
- PUC certificate
- NOC obtained from the financer in case the vehicle is bought on loan
- Age and address proof of the vehicle
- Vehicle insurance document
- Passport size photographs
Transfer of Ownership in Odisha
When a vehicle is bought from another state or send to other states, the ownership has to be transferred to the new owner. In this regard, an application shall be made in Form 27 along with a NOC from the state authority in Form 28.
- Form No. 29 and 30
- Registration Certificate
- Proof of address of the owner
- No Objection Certificate (NOC)
- Insurance document of the vehicle
- Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
- Tax payment receipt
- Applicable fee
How to Avail Duplicate RC in Odisha
If the vehicle owner misplaces the registration card, the same can be availed as a duplicate copy. An application shall be made by the owner in Form no 26and submit the same with the RTO Odisha, to get a duplicate RC.
Documents Required to Avail Duplicate RC in Odisha
- Form no 26
- Original copy of the Police FIR in case of loss
- Attested copy of the valid insurance policy
- Attested copy of pollution under control certificate.
- Attested copy of address proof
- Challan clearance from the traffic police
- Enforcement wing Transport Department in case of commercial vehicles
- Tax clearance receipt in case of commercial vehicles
- Attested copy of PAN Card or Form 60 & 61
How to Update a New Address in RC in Odisha
Updating a new address in registration card is easy. The process is done by applying with an application form and submitting the required documents to the RTO Odisha.
Documents Required to be Submitted to RTO Odisha
- Dully filled application Form 33
- Original Registration Certificate
- Address proof of the vehicle owner
- Aadhaar Card
RTO Odisha e-Sewa
Odisha RTO e-Sewa facilities can be availed through VAHAN software, which is a flagship e-governance application process under the National Transport Project. This software is initiated to lower down the burden related to manual vehicle registration and allowing the transport department to deal with a business that is more serious. Using this software a computerised registration, permit, license etc. can be allotted to the vehicle owners.
To register a vehicle using VAHAN software, one will require a valid vehicle number, chassis number and mobile number for OTP, debit card, credit card details for online payment.
How to Avail e-Sewa with VAHAN
To avail various online services one needs to
- Enter valid registration number and click on ‘Proceed’
- Go to the online menu and select the respective service to be availed
- One will need to enter the Chassis Number and mobile number for OTP
- The OTP needs to be entered and click on ‘Show details’
- Enter the other related details
- Click on ‘submit’ button, then ‘confirm’ and make the online payment
- After the payment, the applicant can print the receipt
- Book online appoint to initiate RTO verification
- Visit the RTO Odisha with required documents
The services to be availed through e-Sewa include:
- Vehicle Registration
- New Vehicle Registration
- Renewal of Registration
- Transfer of Ownership
- Change of address etc.
- Issue of National & Interstate Permit
- Renewal of Permit
- Pay taxes
- State-wise tax calculation & payment
- Fitness certificate
- Issue of Fitness Certificate
- Renewal of Fitness Certificate
- Issue of Challan
- Settlement of Penalty Amount
How to Avail Vehicle Insurance in Odisha
Vehicle insurance is as important as registering a vehicle with RTO Odisha. Motor insurance offers complete protection to the insured vehicle in case of unforeseen events. Given that, one can opt for third party insurance or comprehensive vehicle insurance as per the requirements. There are various insurance providers in Odisha providing motor insurance. The all need to do is to visit the website of the insurer, browse over the plans, compare them online and buy accordingly. The online comparison is always recommended for insurance seekers, as it allows the person to zero down on an informed decision.
I have obtained a learners license in Mumbai, is it valid in Orissa?
From where to renew the registration certificate?
Can I drive a vehicle with learner’s DL throughout?
What are the documents I can produce as an age proof?